C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is hood removal necessary for A/C hose r&r?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Vet76te
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Is hood removal necessary for A/C hose r&r?

I need to replace my A/C hoses on my 76 Corvette. Will I have to remove the hood to complete this job?

I’m planning on replacing the hose, (which popped on me last weekend), and then take it to a shop to vacuum and recharge.

Also, if anyone has ever done this replacement, can you give me any tips or things to be cautious of?
Old 08-03-2018, 11:58 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Hood needs to come off to remove hose from condenser otherwise its a easy repair. while you have it off change the other hose O-ring.
Mark
Old 08-03-2018, 09:05 PM
Vet76te
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mark6669
Hood needs to come off to remove hose from condenser otherwise its a easy repair. while you have it off change the other hose O-ring.
Mark
is removal a MUST or just “should “ be removed?
Old 08-03-2018, 09:24 PM
Ali Vette
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 71 I got the lines and even the condenser out with the hood on but it was not easy, it may be easier to take the hood off if you are familiar with that.
I have never pulled the hood and was concerned about getting it aligned again and a little bit about damaging it which is why I made it happen with the hood on.

Last edited by Ali Vette; 08-03-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:33 PM
97C5
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Mark top and bottom of hood brackets with tape and pull it off if you have help. Much easier
Old 08-03-2018, 11:51 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would replace the drier and orifice while the system was open
Old 08-04-2018, 03:18 AM
Vet76te
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TimAT
I would replace the drier and orifice while the system was open
I’m planning on going with a VIR replacement and an upgraded compressor while I’m in there.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:29 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

I just removed my hood to install the largest a/c condenser I can squish in my 68...it had been about a dozen years since I'd done it. It is quite easy even by yourself. Not worth trying to avoid it since you may scratch a bunch of stuff otherwise.
Here is how I did it since I did it by myself. It would be easier if you had help but not really necessary.
1. I open hood, mark locations on hood where the hinges are mounted, place a bunch of towels and/or blankets around edge and front of body where hood sits (AND ENSURE THE POINTY END OF THE HOOD HAS A BLANKET BENEATH IT FOR WHEN YOU LOOSEN THE BOLTS), get a piece of wood to support the hood from within the engine compartment, disconnect the hood prop, unbolt the hinge mounts (at hood side).
2. Now the hood is just sitting there against the multiple towels/blankets and being held up by the piece of wood in the engine compartment and the blankets below the pointy end.
3. I ensure I have a clear path for where I will be hanging, or setting down, the hood.
4. From the front of the car I lift the hood (blankets are protecting body & hood) since it's really rather light and move it to the predetermined storage location.

You can see below that you have quite a bit of room to work when hood is removed. Here is my temporarily bolted-down
16"x 24" new condenser (it's about the biggest I could fit in without cutting stuff).

Last edited by carriljc; 08-04-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:49 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

As long as you have at least one helper to simply hold things (two helpers even better) I find removing and replacing the hood simple. Do put towels, a plastic bag or similar around the hinge area to catch any shims that may fall out. Keep track of how many shim(s) on each side. Remove the four bolts with the helper(s) holding the hood and just lift it off. Of course have a place ready to put the hood. A bed is perfect.

Just reverse to reinstall. The shims like to slip out so again lay something down to catch them. I've had mine off three times and it seems to go back into the exact right position almost automatically--I've never had to readjust after first tightening the bolts. Do close the hood very slowly after installation to be certain it's not grossly maladjusted.

Get notified of new replies

To Is hood removal necessary for A/C hose r&r?

Quick Reply: Is hood removal necessary for A/C hose r&r?