Sponsored by:

Power Steering Valve Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 07:49 PM
MAP73
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Power Steering Valve Springs

I have heard that there are two different tension springs in the power steering control valve depending on the year of the application. I do not know if this is true or not. I have also read that many vendors don't know what the valves they sell have as far as springs.

I have a 73 which has been completely restored. All (I mean everything) of the steering components are new or rebuilt. My car seems to kind of stick somewhat when you turn the wheel at the center position. It works but it seems to work all of a sudden and not so much with a light force on the wheel. The alignment is good (twice). I'm beginning to wonder about the valve causing the issue. with the front jacked up and the engine off even the slightest turn of the wheel results in movement. It just acts wired when you are driving.

Any information on the valve spring would be helpful.

Thanks
Mark Potter
Old 08-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '18

Originally Posted by MAP73
I have heard that there are two different tension springs in the power steering control valve depending on the year of the application. I do not know if this is true or not. I have also read that many vendors don't know what the valves they sell have as far as springs.

I have a 73 which has been completely restored. All (I mean everything) of the steering components are new or rebuilt. My car seems to kind of stick somewhat when you turn the wheel at the center position. It works but it seems to work all of a sudden and not so much with a light force on the wheel. The alignment is good (twice). I'm beginning to wonder about the valve causing the issue. with the front jacked up and the engine off even the slightest turn of the wheel results in movement. It just acts wired when you are driving.

Any information on the valve spring would be helpful.

Thanks
Mark Potter
Reach out to a member named Jim Shea, very helpful with PS systems.
I set up an inline gauge on mine to make sure operating pressures were correct. As far as spring ratings i cannot help you, sorry. Good luck.
Greg
Old 08-13-2018, 06:53 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It could also be that the adjustment screw/lock-nut on top of the steering gearbox is a bit too tight. Hold screw in position with screwdriver; loosen lock-nut; turn screw 1/4 turn CCW; again hold it in position with driver; and tighten locknut. If that frees-up your steering, leave it alone. If that didn't change anything, put it back where it was and send a PM to Jim Shea requesting his help.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Valve Springs

Quick Reply: Power Steering Valve Springs