Sponsored by:

Glass panels compared to Original panels

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 07:21 AM
Mijbril
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass panels compared to Original panels

Have read some threads about increasing headroom in a C3 but the two key pieces seem to be lowering the seat (or taking it off the runners) & changing the targa panels but haven't been able to find out how much extra head room is gained by using glass panels as opposed the original panels. Is anyone able to advise this figure? I know it's most likely minimal but I know from first hand experience with my MkII MR2, removing the lining & having just the glass is the difference from a cramped ride & a comfortable ride.

Cheers, Mij (& hello from Australia, the mostly happy owner a '69 C3)
Old 08-16-2018, 11:26 AM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

I have the liners off my ttops and I would guess there's at least another 1" room up there (mine is a 72 so it might be different). Another thing you will gain is higher temperatures in the summertime, I have heard and read many people report how much warmer it is having glass ttops.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I just put fiberglass panels on my '81 for the Summer. The glass tops do allow the interior to heat up. I used window tint on them to help but decided to build the fiberglass tops.

I do have the headliners in the fiberglass tops. My head hits when I wear a cap. I would say you will gain about two inches of headroom with glass tops.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

I put the M1131 glass tops in my '78 this morning for the first time in 5 years. I'd guess I gained about 2" to 2.5" of headroom compared to the fibreglass top with the liners installed.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:31 AM
Mijbril
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies & guidance all, appreciated. Yes, I'll order some I think, cheers, Mij

Get notified of new replies

To Glass panels compared to Original panels

Quick Reply: Glass panels compared to Original panels