Corvettes@Carlisle Traffic Problems Must Read

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:32 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Default Corvettes@Carlisle Traffic Problems Must Read

I am a member of the NCRS Mid Atlantic chapter I just received this e-mail from our President about two traffic problems. If you are coming up I 81 from Virginia the first will affect you. The second one is in Pennsylvania on I 81 north of Shippensburg.

Please read and consider resending to all MAC members – and anyone else you think would want to know this.

FYI – I am on a personal road trip today, traveled North on I-81 through VA, then into West VA and then into PA and beyond Carlisle – I ran into 2 major traffic delays. If you are planning to attend Corvettes at Carlisle be prepared for MAJOR traffic delays in 2 places – the second is impacting traffic in and around Carlisle.

1. There is an “emergency bridge repair” on a bridge in West VA, on I-81 in the north bound lane. There are temporary signs up as far south as Harrisonburg VA alerting drivers to this delay in WVA. The delay is significant, about 90 minutes – it is down to one lane. No way to get around it – many trucks and cars bailed off of 81 and on to Rt 11 north – it was a mess. The repair work does not look like it will be completed any time soon – highly recommend factoring additional time into your trip – also recommend calling WVA DOT and inquire if work is complete.

2. This one was worse that the first and there were no warning signs. We had smooth sailing from WVA to just north of Shippensburg PA on I-81. Then, about 10 miles north of Shippensburg traffic came to a complete stop – we were 9 miles from Carlisle and exit 44, it took 3 (THREE) hours to go those 9 miles. We got off at exit 44 for a rest stop at a gas station – this is the same exit you would use to go to the fairgrounds. I spoke to a local in the restaurant. He said there is construction on I-81 just north of exit 44, they are installing a pipe line – has been going on for weeks – will not be completed soon. Not only is traffic on I-81 north all jammed up, it also is affecting traffic flow on all roads leading into Carlisle and within Carlisle as well. This will definitely frustrate travelers during Corvette days at the fairgrounds, regardless where you are staying or what direction you are coming from. Again, I would recommend that someone call the PA DOT and ask when the work on I-81 just north of exit 44 will be done.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:19 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
I am a member of the NCRS Mid Atlantic chapter I just received this e-mail from our President about two traffic problems. If you are coming up I 81 from Virginia the first will affect you. The second one is in Pennsylvania on I 81 north of Shippensburg.

Please read and consider resending to all MAC members – and anyone else you think would want to know this.

FYI – I am on a personal road trip today, traveled North on I-81 through VA, then into West VA and then into PA and beyond Carlisle – I ran into 2 major traffic delays. If you are planning to attend Corvettes at Carlisle be prepared for MAJOR traffic delays in 2 places – the second is impacting traffic in and around Carlisle.

1. There is an “emergency bridge repair” on a bridge in West VA, on I-81 in the north bound lane. There are temporary signs up as far south as Harrisonburg VA alerting drivers to this delay in WVA. The delay is significant, about 90 minutes – it is down to one lane. No way to get around it – many trucks and cars bailed off of 81 and on to Rt 11 north – it was a mess. The repair work does not look like it will be completed any time soon – highly recommend factoring additional time into your trip – also recommend calling WVA DOT and inquire if work is complete.

2. This one was worse that the first and there were no warning signs. We had smooth sailing from WVA to just north of Shippensburg PA on I-81. Then, about 10 miles north of Shippensburg traffic came to a complete stop – we were 9 miles from Carlisle and exit 44, it took 3 (THREE) hours to go those 9 miles. We got off at exit 44 for a rest stop at a gas station – this is the same exit you would use to go to the fairgrounds. I spoke to a local in the restaurant. He said there is construction on I-81 just north of exit 44, they are installing a pipe line – has been going on for weeks – will not be completed soon. Not only is traffic on I-81 north all jammed up, it also is affecting traffic flow on all roads leading into Carlisle and within Carlisle as well. This will definitely frustrate travelers during Corvette days at the fairgrounds, regardless where you are staying or what direction you are coming from. Again, I would recommend that someone call the PA DOT and ask when the work on I-81 just north of exit 44 will be done.
ttt

Quick Reply: Corvettes@Carlisle Traffic Problems Must Read