C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decent looking heat shield for big diameter side pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 10:09 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

Old 06-07-2019, 10:11 AM
titanle
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

So I contacted patriot asking if they have any shields that will fit 4” side pipes and they said they don’t have anything available. Looks like cobra shields it is.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:29 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by titanle
So I contacted patriot asking if they have any shields that will fit 4” side pipes and they said they don’t have anything available. Looks like cobra shields it is.
Thanks for heads up.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by reno stallion
The pipes must come with these covers

It's a well made quality product, luckily there are options out there for every budget..
Old 06-15-2019, 03:26 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,335 Posts

I got the Patriot side shields mounted and run (chrome steel, not stainless). All together, with the Walker clamps, my shield solution cost $145-. That's less than a third the price of the "correct" solution, so I'm happy with it.

The good news: They are cheap, and they really work well! I can put my hand right on the shields after a 20 minute test drive. With the surprisingly malleable stainless Walker clamps, I was able to install them without taking off the pipe extension (I wish I had tried that first). Also, they are not made in China, but Mexico.

The bad news: I still had to drill holes, and stomp them out a bit to fit my 4" pipes. Also, from JEGS at least, they ship in plastic bags, with NO padding. FedEx lost the package, had to reprint them, so I got delayed installing them until today. I'm also not sure I'll be able to put my side bezels back on.

Were I to do it over again, I'd probably go with the Walker 48" stainless shields, even knowing that I'd have to both cut and drill them, but these are okay. I wanted something I could paint or coat black at some point, so these will probably be able to do that.

Last edited by Bikespace; 06-15-2019 at 03:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (06-15-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 08:54 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the vette pack inserts from Classic Chambered exhaust and the plain Steel shields from Dean but since then Classic has plain shields for $168 each that would be worth looking at. They also offer the slotted design if that's what you prefer

http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/Heat.html
Old 06-16-2019, 07:55 PM
titanle
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by palmbeachvette76
I have the vette pack inserts from Classic Chambered exhaust and the plain Steel shields from Dean but since then Classic has plain shields for $168 each that would be worth looking at. They also offer the slotted design if that's what you prefer

http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/Heat.html
Is the 30” shield long enough for the side pipes? I believe the ones from cobra are 36”.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:58 PM
titanle
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bikespace
I got the Patriot side shields mounted and run (chrome steel, not stainless). All together, with the Walker clamps, my shield solution cost $145-. That's less than a third the price of the "correct" solution, so I'm happy with it.

The good news: They are cheap, and they really work well! I can put my hand right on the shields after a 20 minute test drive. With the surprisingly malleable stainless Walker clamps, I was able to install them without taking off the pipe extension (I wish I had tried that first). Also, they are not made in China, but Mexico.

The bad news: I still had to drill holes, and stomp them out a bit to fit my 4" pipes. Also, from JEGS at least, they ship in plastic bags, with NO padding. FedEx lost the package, had to reprint them, so I got delayed installing them until today. I'm also not sure I'll be able to put my side bezels back on.

Were I to do it over again, I'd probably go with the Walker 48" stainless shields, even knowing that I'd have to both cut and drill them, but these are okay. I wanted something I could paint or coat black at some point, so these will probably be able to do that.

Those looks nice! What did you have to drill and cut to get them to fit? I also have 4” obx sidepipes and I’m looking to do something similar for mine.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:08 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Those looks nice! What did you have to drill and cut to get them to fit? I also have 4” obx sidepipes and I’m looking to do something similar for mine.
I didn't have to cut them, but I had to drill two 5/16" clearance holes, and drill out two more slots into 5/16" clearance holes, to make them work with my Walker clamps. You can see the two slots I didn't touch (for whatever Patriot clamps would have been used) at the upper edge, under my door.

To your previous question, these are 36". The Cobra place only appears to have one finish of their shields in 36", which is really the minimum for our cars.

Last edited by Bikespace; 06-16-2019 at 11:09 PM.
titanle (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 06:05 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Is the 30” shield long enough for the side pipes? I believe the ones from cobra are 36”.
Good catch. i didn't notice the length just the cobra / corvette. I measured mine from steel shields and they are 38" and cover the pipe from where it inserts to the header back to the curve of the outlet. Would these work as far as protecting from burns, yes but would they look good on a longer tube, I would say no. I guess it just comes down to personal preference as far as the appearance you want and how much you want to spend. One thing I noticed between the covers shown in this thread is the way they mount with bolts being visible versus the steel shields have a slot tack welded to the underside and they use a large hose clamp with a cloth material to protect the pipe where the clamp wraps around it so the cover is smooth from front to back which provides a nice fit and finish but again boils down to the look you want for your car. I hated to spend as much as I did but in the long run it was worth it and they've been installed for 8 years and look the same today as the day I installed them.

caskiguy (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM
titanle
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by palmbeachvette76
Good catch. i didn't notice the length just the cobra / corvette. I measured mine from steel shields and they are 38" and cover the pipe from where it inserts to the header back to the curve of the outlet. Would these work as far as protecting from burns, yes but would they look good on a longer tube, I would say no. I guess it just comes down to personal preference as far as the appearance you want and how much you want to spend. One thing I noticed between the covers shown in this thread is the way they mount with bolts being visible versus the steel shields have a slot tack welded to the underside and they use a large hose clamp with a cloth material to protect the pipe where the clamp wraps around it so the cover is smooth from front to back which provides a nice fit and finish but again boils down to the look you want for your car. I hated to spend as much as I did but in the long run it was worth it and they've been installed for 8 years and look the same today as the day I installed them.

Those looks real nice! the 38" length seems perfect since it covers from the collector all the way to the end of the pipe.

Quick Reply: Decent looking heat shield for big diameter side pipes?