Sponsored by:

My '68 L79 327 Project - Engine Questions/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 09:32 AM
dhorn
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '68 L79 327 Project - Engine Questions/Advice

Hello all, new around these parts. I'm gonna try to keep this as brief as possible, but also plan to use this post as a place to share progress as I journey down this road.

So to start, my father bought this car back circa-2013, I think. This was his project originally, but he passed April of 2017, and I recently was able to get the car to my house and really dive into it. During the time my father had the car, he did have some big things done. He pulled the engine and transmission, and sent the rolling frame to Irvine Patrick in Johnson County, KY (my father lived in Martin County, just 30 minutes away). I haven't had a chance to get up with Irvine to see what kind of records he has, but it's my understand that a different frame was put on the car, which looks brand new. Nice black finish, and it looks like some of the rear end is new, such as the leaf springs. I haven't had a chance to fully inspect things back there to see what else. The car was also painted, the original color, Silver.
The factory engine was also rebuilt, by a different fella. I am also trying to get in touch with him to see if he can provide me a build sheet, because I know very little about the engine. First off, it's still the factory engine, L79 327 small block, painted Chevy orange, and I know that my father added some Hedman headers before it set the engine back in the car. The engine has not had oil or any other fluids in it since it was returned, which was at least 3 years ago. That's all I really know about it at this point. The day that I got the car back to my place, I put 3 bolts in the harmonic balancer, and was able to turn it with a pry bar, so thankfully it's not locked up.

A lot of the other parts I've found, but definitely still some stuff missing. As far as I can tell, I will need to get a new alternator and brackets, starter (and brackets?), carburetor, pulleys, fuel pump, and distributor. I think which that, I will be able to run the engine. So here are a few photos of the engine (photos are really about 6 months old, take before I moved the car).

Name:  qruapxr.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  4.02 MB
Name:  uNN0Nma.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  3.77 MB
Name:  qlT6Flc.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  3.92 MB

So at this point, I have a few questions. My main priority right now is to get the engine running, then I will shift focus on getting the interior back together, and whatever else needs to get done. I also will need to get the windshield replaced, but that's for another day.

1) Based on these photos, am I missing anything else that's required, other than the alternator, starter, crankshaft pulley, water pump pulley, carb, fuel pump, distributor, and radiator (which is actually in the car now)? I actually have already bought a HEI distributor, so I have that.
2) On the topic of carb, I feel I have two options here. Either get a Holley 650 and put on the stock intake manifold, or replace the intake with a Edelbrock 2703 (this one comes with a oil fill tube and breather) and then get either a Edelbrock 1405, Holley 1850, or spend a little more and get a Holley 4776 DP. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
3) On the topic of a new intake with oil fill tube, it's my understanding that I either need the oil fill tube or a PCV. Did the 68' L79 come factory with a PCV? The intake on the engine right now has an oil fill tube, but it looks like the kind with a twist on cap, instead of a breather. So if it didn't have a breather, is there something else I should be mindful of? Or would the Edelbrock 2703 with oil fill tube and breather be all I need?
4) Any idea if these are the factory valve covers? I'm thinking they are. But a lot of photos I find of a 1968 with a 79 show different valve covers with a fill tube and I guess a PCV tube? So I'm not 100% the best route here in terms of valve cover, intake manifold, oil fill tube/breather, etc.
5) I'm planning to get a new engine harness to swap in. Are there any other electrical connections I should just go ahead and replace in/near the engine bay?
6) Any advice on pulleys? Switch to serpentine or stick with v-belts (assuming that's what this car had from the factory)? Any recommendations on polished/chrome pulleys?
7) Master cylinder looks rough. I assume these are cheap and easy enough to replace with something nice and shiny?

I think those are the big questions I have right now, and hopefully I can start ordering some parts this week and hear this baby roar in the next 4-6 weeks (depending on time and money).

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-04-2018, 10:08 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Order the 68 assembly instruction manual if you don't have one (AIM). The AIM will show stock engine parts, brackets, and other hardware you are going to need. All 68s had PCV valves in the driver's side valve cover. The covers currently on the car are older Corvette covers for the years prior to PCV (C1 and C2). The 327s used the front manifold oil fill tube with a twist on cap. With PCV, you don't need a breather.

The following users liked this post:
Paul Borowski (09-14-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 11:46 AM
dhorn
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Order the 68 assembly instruction manual if you don't have one (AIM). The AIM will show stock engine parts, brackets, and other hardware you are going to need. All 68s had PCV valves in the driver's side valve cover. The covers currently on the car are older Corvette covers for the years prior to PCV (C1 and C2). The 327s used the front manifold oil fill tube with a twist on cap. With PCV, you don't need a breather.
Excellent information, thank you for that! So since I have the older style valve covers currently on the car, and assuming I want to continue using them, what would the best course of action be in terms of PCV valve/oil fill tube breather? Would I be fine to use these valve covers with an oil fill tube breather, or should I just get new valve covers that have opening for PCV tube?
I am inexperienced in this topic, so I'm not sure what I need to do exactly.

I actually ordered the "How to Restory Your C3 Corvette" book by SA Design, and a Haynes manual for C3 Corvettes, and both will be here today. I'll order the AIM manual this week, so I have that as well.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2018, 01:37 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

You might want to buy a 68 Chevrolet chassis service manual. The Haynes manuals cover from 68-82 so they’re fairly generic. I have a 68 L36 and use the service manual and find that it’s more specific and is much more detailed than the Haynes manual. Also, I often refer to my copy of Richard Prince’s Corvette restoration guide. It’s full of great information and photos of unmolested cars. I have the first and second editions and like the second a little more because of the color photos it contains.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:32 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Those are 100% not 68 L79 valve covers. If you want the correct ones they are all flash chrome with no fins or script. Pretty plain Jane except for the chrome. Originals have a faint oblonged "O" stamped into the lip.
Also, your car came with a Quadrajet but the 650 Holley will be fine.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:54 PM
dhorn
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
Those are 100% not 68 L79 valve covers. If you want the correct ones they are all flash chrome with no fins or script. Pretty plain Jane except for the chrome. Originals have a faint oblonged "O" stamped into the lip.
Also, your car came with a Quadrajet but the 650 Holley will be fine.
Hello, and thanks for your reply. I'm aware that this L79 originally came with a Quadrajet, and a Holley 650 will work just fine with the stock intake manifold, but I am looking to replace the stock manifold with an Edelbrock Performer aluminum setup. I assumed the Edelbrock 2703 is what I should be looking at, since it has the oil fill tube hole, and also comes with an oil fill tube and a breather. My biggest question is if I did that (added an oil fill breather with the Edelbrock 2703), can I use these valve covers as is, since they don't have a PCV breather hole? Or will I still have to replace the valve covers?
Old 09-05-2018, 07:19 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,257 Likes on 3,904 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Welcome aboard, I'm sorry for your loss but I'm glad you can carry on with your Dads hobby car.

Your carb choice is going to be a personal one since theres definitley an edelbrock vs holley vs quadrajet camp out there. I like the edelbrock because its very easy to tune and you dont have to tear it completely apart to do small rod changes and if yo change the jets you can do it without spilling gas everywhere. I would go with what you are comfortable tuning or do some research on how to tune each carb. I had 2 different edelbrocks and settled on a quadrajet on my L79.

If you keep your mid year vavle covers you will need to get a oil fill tube with a PCV vavle thread built in it. The mid year 327s had a draft tube to vent gases and then went to the PCV in the fill tube in the other GM 327s in 68. I picked one up on another Gm site but you can find them on ebay too. and then plumb that to your carb base or to an oil seperator. I also drilled a hole in the back of the manifold and plumbed it to my air cleaner for fresh air ventilation so it has an in and an out flow. If you google PCV basics it will show you the flow through the motor. It doesnt have to be head to head. I like the oil seperator as I wouldnt be fouling plugs or getting any oil in the cylinders.

As for the master cylinder there are 2 differrnt ones for manual or power brakes, make sure you get the correct one if you buy it from a parts store and then bench bleed it before you install it. Brakes can be a pain is the but on these for bleeding

I suggest putting in a fuel pressure regulator and a pressure gauge as well. Also an Air fuel gauge to help with tuning

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 09-05-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:09 PM
buckwylde
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dhorn, you may want to start checking some numbers on the motor you have installed. Feel free to drop me a PM, as I have a 68 L79 sitting here out of my car, and can go part by part with you to make sure you have the right part numbers for everything you may need.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:38 PM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

Here are a few pictures of my L79. It's pretty much stock. Hope it helps.

The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (09-14-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To My '68 L79 327 Project - Engine Questions/Advice

Quick Reply: My '68 L79 327 Project - Engine Questions/Advice