C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 71' Big block "Restoration"..(lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:51 AM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Lemans blue?
It's 71 so it is Mulsanne blue!
We made a scan of original color and went with that. But it might be different shade to original.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:54 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Primož Krajcar
It's 71 so it is Mulsanne blue!
We made a scan of original color and went with that. But it might be different shade to original.
I like it. Yours looks more "BLUE" then mine.* The pics I looked at of Mulsanne blue didn't look near as bright/blue as yours, that's why I didn't go with it.

Yours looks more like my Laguna blue on on my C7Z....**** How ever they mixed it, it looks damn good.

I'm hoping my 71's paint pops when I get it in the sun light. These pics of it in the shop don't really showcase the color well. It needs sunlight to make it pop.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:58 AM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Thanks! Yes it really did come out really nice!

I wish the interior was original blue as well. I don't know why the previous owner changed it to light saddle!

Last edited by Primoz; 09-21-2018 at 10:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ajrothm (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:08 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Primož Krajcar
Thanks! Yes it really did come out really nice!

I wish the interior was original blue as well. I don't know why the previous owner changed it to light saddle!
Looks awesome!

Yeah I wish I had done my interior metallic blue as well.. It was originally green, I converted it to black.... Its staying black now, but I do like the blue interior better.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:30 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Alan, looks terrific! Absolutely love Lemans Blue. What is Mark doing to your engine? You are making what is already one of my favorite cars on the forum even better. Congrats. I am a few steps behind you.

Bill
ajrothm (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 06:34 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Alan, looks terrific! Absolutely love Lemans Blue. What is Mark doing to your engine? You are making what is already one of my favorite cars on the forum even better. Congrats. I am a few steps behind you.

Bill
All we are doing to the motor is a basic refreshen... with some slight updates. Upon tear down and inspection, it didn't really need much. Hone it, rings/bearings. Sent the cam back to Isky to have it reground (same specs), new Morel lifters. We are replacing the roller rockers and installing new tool steel springs. The only upgrades is Mark is going to port the heads a little more, mainly the exhaust port, he says now he has them peaking at 6200 vs 5800. Replace the exhaust valves, VJ and surface etc... Also, he has some oil pan mods and windage tray mods that will allow me to run more oil without the power loss. I told him I wanted to make 700hp with it, he said it wasn't going to happen..LOL He didn't want to stray from my combo much because I drive it so much and idle it all over town with the AC on all summer long..

We'll see. I'm HOPING we gain something. His shop is in a new location, its 200' higher in altitude, and his dyno is reading a little lower observed numbers then when he did mine 9 years ago so... Who knows. It made 662/675 on his dyno last time. Realistically, I figure it'll make 675 or so now. Maybe.

All it REALLY needed was oil seals and new roller lifters as I had a Morel lifter eat itself. I could have fixed it all myself in an afternoon but... I wanted to paint the motor and engine compartment anyway so... its all good.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:33 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

All we are doing to the motor is a basic refreshen....................

All it REALLY needed was oil seals and new roller lifters as I had a Morel lifter eat itself. I could have fixed it all myself in an afternoon but... I wanted to paint the motor and engine compartment anyway so... its all good.
Wow, your project sounds kinda like mine of about a year ago.......only needed a little, but snowballed much bigger, ending in a paint job!
Old 09-25-2018, 01:42 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
Wow, your project sounds kinda like mine of about a year ago.......only needed a little, but snowballed much bigger, ending in a paint job!

Yeah Ken, that’s how it always is.

This was supposed to just be the long planned paint job/chrome restoration etc etc. However, 2 weeks before it was scheduled to go to paint, the motor picked up a tap. After tearing into it and not really finding a smoking gun, I decided to pull it. The motor was ready for a paint job itself so, I just decided to refreshen the whole thing. It had been in there 9 years and had 25k miles on it. I had also wanted to change headers for years and some other detail stuff so, I just decided to do it all.

The car will be completely fresh when it’s done, and look completely different.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:34 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

All we are doing to the motor is a basic refreshen... with some slight updates. Upon tear down and inspection, it didn't really need much. Hone it, rings/bearings. Sent the cam back to Isky to have it reground (same specs), new Morel lifters. We are replacing the roller rockers and installing new tool steel springs. The only upgrades is Mark is going to port the heads a little more, mainly the exhaust port, he says now he has them peaking at 6200 vs 5800. Replace the exhaust valves, VJ and surface etc... Also, he has some oil pan mods and windage tray mods that will allow me to run more oil without the power loss. I told him I wanted to make 700hp with it, he said it wasn't going to happen..LOL He didn't want to stray from my combo much because I drive it so much and idle it all over town with the AC on all summer long..

We'll see. I'm HOPING we gain something. His shop is in a new location, its 200' higher in altitude, and his dyno is reading a little lower observed numbers then when he did mine 9 years ago so... Who knows. It made 662/675 on his dyno last time. Realistically, I figure it'll make 675 or so now. Maybe.

Well, what Mark does with these engines is nothing short of amazing. Interesting on the lifter. Yours is a hydraulic roller as I remember. What spring pressure do you run? You certainly have reinvented an already great car. With the new engine and the upgraded fuel system you have, that thing will continue to run as good as it will look. And that is saying something now with the new paint. Can’t wait to see the finished product.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:57 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 69ttop502

Well, what Mark does with these engines is nothing short of amazing. Interesting on the lifter. Yours is a hydraulic roller as I remember. What spring pressure do you run? You certainly have reinvented an already great car. With the new engine and the upgraded fuel system you have, that thing will continue to run as good as it will look. And that is saying something now with the new paint. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Yes this is the Isky 238/248 hyd roller, I had 1.75I/1.7E roller rockers on it. Spring pressure was originally around 180/400# 23k miles ago. Who knows what it is now. I know it still pulled to 6300 with no float. They are the Isky Endurance, tool steel springs. It’s getting a fresh set of those, along with new rockers.

I really wanted to have Mark build me a 850hp pump gas 555-565” but.....with the HUGE restoration cost on the body, I just couldn’t swing it financially, not to mention it would over tax the rest of the driveline so...power wise, 700 ish is a good all around stopping point for my car with how I use it.

Maybe in 10 years I’ll do a big motor, fuel injection, 4L80 build on it, but for now, it’s gonna have to do, AS IS.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:11 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

No major update or cool pics.... I finally received all of the chrome and stainless back from the chrome shop and the body shop is reassembling the car now. They are probably about 3 wks out from completion. Supposedly the engine rebuild is underway as well. All I have done is finished cleaning parts, picked up some stuff from the powder coater etc... I did get my Rally wheels back from powder coating...they smoothed the wheels out and used filler powder to make them smooth, then shot the silver on them. Came out great.

Not EXACTLY Argent silver, but pretty damn close, with a bit more "metallic". Should pop pretty good. Also got my new Firestone Wide Oval radial GR70-15s in, going to mount them all up tomorrow.

I go see the car Friday, if there is anything pic worthy, I'll get some. I'm looking forward to getting the car home so I can detail the underside and the interior, then just wait for the motor to be done. Slowly but surely....
Old 10-09-2018, 10:17 AM
66WES
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 54 Posts

That's a BMF! My style for sure. Can't wait to see it all done, but I have to admit, that green looked so cool too.
ajrothm (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Willforce71
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

No major update or cool pics.... I finally received all of the chrome and stainless back from the chrome shop and the body shop is reassembling the car now. They are probably about 3 wks out from completion. Supposedly the engine rebuild is underway as well. All I have done is finished cleaning parts, picked up some stuff from the powder coater etc... I did get my Rally wheels back from powder coating...they smoothed the wheels out and used filler powder to make them smooth, then shot the silver on them. Came out great.

Not EXACTLY Argent silver, but pretty damn close, with a bit more "metallic". Should pop pretty good. Also got my new Firestone Wide Oval radial GR70-15s in, going to mount them all up tomorrow.

I go see the car Friday, if there is anything pic worthy, I'll get some. I'm looking forward to getting the car home so I can detail the underside and the interior, then just wait for the motor to be done. Slowly but surely....

Looking Good,

Did you use a local Chrome shop? If so how were their prices if you don't mind my asking? I am up in New Hampshire and haven't found a shop that I felt was competitively priced. As of today I will be shipping my parts to NC but am still open to shipping elsewhere if the price and quality are right.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:46 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Willforce71
Looking Good,

Did you use a local Chrome shop? If so how were their prices if you don't mind my asking? I am up in New Hampshire and haven't found a shop that I felt was competitively priced. As of today I will be shipping my parts to NC but am still open to shipping elsewhere if the price and quality are right.
Yes, I used a local chrome shop called Speed and Sport Chrome. They do bad *** work, and they do stuff for people all over the country. I know they have done stuff for Jay Leno as they had his pics and copy of his check in a frame. LOL... They are crazy expensive though. Anything that is pot metal, is an extra 50% charge due to the extra acid/nickel work. Some stuff they are reasonable on like bumpers (C3 bumpers are $395 each) , but other stuff is high, and since most of our stuff is pot metal, there is the extra charge. My chrome/stainless bill was $4070, and that's not counting the chrome pieces I bought new. If you don't mind paying for quality, this is the place..
http://speedsportchrome.com/
Old 10-09-2018, 11:51 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 66WES
That's a BMF! My style for sure. Can't wait to see it all done, but I have to admit, that green looked so cool too.
Yeah Wes, a LOT of people liked it green, I've caught a good bit of flack for changing to blue but...I'll never sell the car, so I'm not worried about resale value, I just want it how I want it. Its gonna look good though.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Willforce71
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the info. Chrome is definitely a niche market and quality costs money. I'll let you know how mine turns out.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:26 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Willforce71
Thanks for the info. Chrome is definitely a niche market and quality costs money. I'll let you know how mine turns out.
Ironically, right after I posted the info for you, I got a call from the body shop saying that the new/repro windshield corner molding chrome pieces (that the T Top slides into) fit horribly and cause a huge gap in the windshield trim and T bar molding...SOOOOO I'm off to pick up the pitted originals and have them rechromed. These were just a couple of the new pieces I decided to buy instead of rechrome.

Point of this story... rechrome as much of your original stuff as you can, as it 100% absolutely will fit better then repro **** from china. Back to Corvette Central with those pieces. Same thing goes with interior stuff, if possible, re-dye the stock stuff as the repro stuff is mostly junk.
marshal135 (10-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To My 71' Big block "Restoration"..(lots of pics)

Old 10-10-2018, 09:13 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

I got my Wide O Oval pizza cutters mounted and balanced today... They look really cool, but those little suckers are gonna be dangerous on my car from anything less then a 70 mph roll...LOL

Depending on how these drive, I may have to get another set of Rallies for my BFGs so I can still hit some turns.....I can't see these Wide Os handling very well...Its hard to believe THESE were the high performance tires for the day back then....

Last edited by ajrothm; 10-10-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:54 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Love to see first class work being done on a C3. Can't wait to see the finished product.
ajrothm (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:01 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Quick Reply: My 71' Big block "Restoration"..(lots of pics)