C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Posting a V.I.N. Openly on the Internet
SAFE - No risk potential
65.00%
SECURITY RISK - Risk potential from scammers, thieves...
35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Posting V.I.N.'s online...SAFE or SECURITY RISK??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 12:07 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 754 Likes on 525 Posts

Here's my VIN.
194671S117878
Here is my plate #
61169 Va. Historic plate
Do what you want with it. I have the car locked up in my garage and I have the title locked up in my fire proof safe.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:15 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
Here's my VIN.
194671S117878
Here is my plate #
61169 Va. Historic plate
Do what you want with it. I have the car locked up in my garage and I have the title locked up in my fire proof safe.

Not subtle, but very well made point.

^ note cheesy mud flag girls plate frame my fiesty grandmother gave me on a bday in the 80s, it has tackied up many of my cars...

If you need my vin its in the registry site,
The following 2 users liked this post by The13Bats:
20mercury (09-24-2018), theandies (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 01:35 AM
Vet76te
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Displaying VINs or license plates is 100% safe. All info from the DMV is private so your personal info can’t be shared
Old 09-23-2018, 02:13 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
License tag will get someone your address. VIN can too. Takes a LEO access, but lots people know cops.

A vanishingly small number of people know a cop who will do that sort of thing for them.

If someone is going to take your license plate number to find out where you live, it will almost certainly not be someone who sees it posted on the internet, but someone who saw it while you were driving and is angry over the way you were driving or perceived to be driving.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:54 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
A vanishingly small number of people know a cop who will do that sort of thing for them.
Excellent point.

Very, very few LEO are willing to risk their jobs and pensions for some “friend’s” needless request to run a VIN. For what? To get a name or address that’s probably on the Net anyway.

Over the years I had a few people ask if I’d run a VIN or a plate for them. I always said sure, as long as you’re willing to pay my salary and pension for life after I get fired. This is made very clear during training.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:03 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Funny that some wont give out there VIN# or plate # but will hand a credit card or debit card over to some waitstaff or casher with the CC# on it. Folks its a new world anyone can find anything about anyone.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:49 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by kenba
Funny that some wont give out there VIN# or plate # but will hand a credit card or debit card over to some waitstaff or casher with the CC# on it. Folks its a new world anyone can find anything about anyone.
AND post on Facebook that they are vacationing in Mexico...
Old 09-23-2018, 01:23 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

SAFE - No risk potential
SECURITY RISK - Risk potential from scammers, thieves...

I was going to take the poll and choose "SAFE" as that's generally how I feel on the topic. I didn't choose it however, because it is of course ridiculous to say there is *NO* risk potential in posting your VIN. Just like it is unfair to say that simply providing someone your full name has no risk potential. In an extreme case where someone is out to target you or your car, it could be... But should we be conducting ourselves based on extreme risks? When I leave my house today, an asteroid could come crashing out of the sky and take me out, yet I take no precautions against it, nor do I even give it a second thought.

If you drill down into the topic, of course putting yourself out there involves a certain level of risk. But just living in the world involves some risk.

Think about this for a second: Most of our screen names don't involve the use of our real names. However, when you PM someone, you may "sign" your private message with your first name, as it's a more personal form of communication. Now, someone that you really don't know has your first name. Then later, in a future post, that person uses your first name in a public post, referring to you or answering something you wrote about. Innocent, yet now your first name is out there for others to connect you with. Maybe you ask someone to email you something (like a wiring diagram), and your email address is comprised of your full name. Now someone on the forum has your full name. [EDIT: I wrote this before reading through the entire thread. Didn't that just happen when The13Bats referred to the OP as "Jim"?]

At which point does a person's cautiousness dip into paranoia? I think that's for each to decide. And it's no suprise that some people feel that way, with the constant betrayals we face by those who store our data...Equifax, Facebook, etc. As others have said, our information is already out there. If someone really wants to learn more about you, they will. Having (or not having) your VIN number isn't going to change that, IMHO.

When is the last time you EVER heard of anyone being victimized because they provided anyone with their VIN? When you get in an accident, the other driver gets your full name, address, birthday and phone number AND your VIN. Have you ever heard of anyone being victimized as a result of that? I know some police officers. They have never heard of that happening, in either scenario. Is the fear that someone will find out where you live? And do what? Steal your car? Burglarize your home? Hold you hostage? [Again, written before I read other posts.]

Me personally, I don't feel these are realistic fears. If I did, I wouldn't post pictures of my Corvette, nor would I ever drive it anywhere where people could see it and lust after it (or me for that matter...)

If it's a fear of Identity Theft, the only thing we need to worry about is protecting our social security numbers. That number is the key to our financial kingdom. With that, they can open accounts in our name, take out second mortgages on our home, etc. Anytime anyone asks for that, you need to ask why? Never carry it with you... and we all know the rest.

In the end, everyone has the option of protecting their information... any level of their information. I just don't happen to feel the same level of risk.

Last edited by ZRXGreen; 09-23-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:24 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

No, i didnt call the OP jim, i dont know the op
Old 09-23-2018, 07:02 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
No, i didnt call the OP jim, i dont know the op
My mistake. When you wrote, "I undestand both the loud point jim was making and your rebuttle,
Jims a good guy..." I thought you were referring to the OP.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:11 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Old 09-23-2018, 07:17 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZRXGreen
My mistake. When you wrote, "I undestand both the loud point jim was making and your rebuttle,
Jims a good guy..." I thought you were referring to the OP.
i was referring to a buddy of mine who made a very good comment,
Its all good, i enjoyed your post too...
The following users liked this post:
ZRXGreen (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 09:42 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

Just out of curiosity I recently searched and googled myself and then my wife for any information about us. I am the paranoid and don't give out anything or join the social media sites like Facebook, etc. She on the other hand is the exact opposite. I had very minimal information like age, when I lived and phone numbers. Her search gave this and information about who she was, how much she made, where she worked, ex spouses, past living addresses and net worth. It appears there are companies that mine data and then try to sell it to interested parties.

I say the less anyone knows about you the better!

Redvette2
Old 09-24-2018, 08:06 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Redvette2
Just out of curiosity I recently searched and googled myself and then my wife for any information about us. I am the paranoid and don't give out anything or join the social media sites like Facebook, etc. She on the other hand is the exact opposite. I had very minimal information like age, when I lived and phone numbers. Her search gave this and information about who she was, how much she made, where she worked, ex spouses, past living addresses and net worth. It appears there are companies that mine data and then try to sell it to interested parties.

I say the less anyone knows about you the better!

Redvette2
My wife and I came out of a Hobby Lobby store, a couple of years ago, and there was some kid taking pictures of my wife's Jaguar. Since Rochester is big on optics producing companies, and everyone has a camera, as well as strong photographic course content at the U of R, and RIT, I initially thought maybe it was just a kid taking pictures for his school course. It's a cool looking car, and it was parked away from the crowd, the sun was setting, making it an easy subject for a picture. Then he focused on the front end, aiming down, toward the license plate...….and I erupted, and he ran off and jumped into a waiting car.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:09 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

We drive down the highway every day with license tags fully exposed. I guess we need to stop this practice as well?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:12 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

I fully understand people's reluctance to provide any public info. Many people don't provide their location on this site because of this concern. I pointed this thread to a buddy, who plugged his truck's VIN into the Net and was stunned that his name, address and phone number immediately came back.

That said, my opinion is that the VIN/address info is so easily found that I don't worry about it much, especially as I cant really think of a circumstance where it could bite me. But, criminals are creative.

Same with plates. Im more afraid of crooks seeing me driving my car, with plate exposed to everyone, and following me home than someone seeing my plate in a picture on the Internet. Although Ive mentioned the scenario once before that an overeager state auditor once ran all the plates he saw on ebay once for my state, and tried to create bills for people based on an arbitrary calculation based on feedbacks. It didn't fly, but it felt dirty.

The fact is, people would be stunned at the info available online. Many law enforcement agencies obtain more info on people in public access sources than on the ones you need an LEO authorization to access. Its out there already.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:34 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I fully understand people's reluctance to provide any public info. Many people don't provide their location on this site because of this concern. I pointed this thread to a buddy, who plugged his truck's VIN into the Net and was stunned that his name, address and phone number immediately came back.

That said, my opinion is that the VIN/address info is so easily found that I don't worry about it much, especially as I cant really think of a circumstance where it could bite me. But, criminals are creative.

Same with plates. Im more afraid of crooks seeing me driving my car, with plate exposed to everyone, and following me home than someone seeing my plate in a picture on the Internet. Although Ive mentioned the scenario once before that an overeager state auditor once ran all the plates he saw on ebay once for my state, and tried to create bills for people based on an arbitrary calculation based on feedbacks. It didn't fly, but it felt dirty.

The fact is, people would be stunned at the info available online. Many law enforcement agencies obtain more info on people in public access sources than on the ones you need an LEO authorization to access. Its out there already.
That guy sounds like an auditor in the movie "dinner for schmucks"
Old 09-25-2018, 10:21 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
AND post on Facebook that they are vacationing in Mexico...
Guess you could say that. we own a beach house in Porto Penasco on the Sea of Cortez and stay here a couple weeks a month. I have cameras a safe & insurance + good neighbors both places.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:39 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 754 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba
Guess you could say that. we own a beach house in Porto Penasco on the Sea of Cortez and stay here a couple weeks a month. I have cameras a safe & insurance + good neighbors both places.
Ahhh, Rocky Point. Been there a few times.

Quick Reply: Posting V.I.N.'s online...SAFE or SECURITY RISK??