Sponsored by:

Bad Parent or Cool Dad? Taking my 2 year old in my C3

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 05:12 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Chapter2
Cool dad. Somehow, we all survived WITHOUT child seats at all! OMG! The horror! How did THAT happen?!

Yeah, our cars had seat belts, but we NEVER used them back then.
You are a cool Dad as long as you do your best to make sure your child is safe. a good car seat. make sure it is attached correctly. follow the speed limits. watch for the other idiots on the road. We all can tell stories of what our parents did when we were younger and how we made it through those years. But nowadays, you have twice as many people on the roads, anyone can get a drivers license no matter how stupid they are, now you have phones and texting which makes it even more unsafe to drive. So do your best to let your child enjoy something growing up that you enjoy now. Maybe one day he/she will be on this forum with a vette of their own.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:31 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

My 2.5 y/o grandson was belted in, no shoulder belts though....and we went through the burb a bit....just 1/2 fast....but enuff to russle his hair a bit.....

see avatar, after we pulled into the driveway....impressed/scared my daughter as I took off uphill though....

Old 09-25-2018, 01:16 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Gee. What happens when a car gets rear-ended at 40mph when the kid is in a REAR-facing seat? Does his neck snap then? OMYGOSH!! Let's put kids in plastic bubble-wrap so they can't get hurt no matter which way they are impacted. Oh....no....that won't do either. The kid won't be able to breathe. What will we do??? What will we do???

For all those who want everyone ELSE to protect them from whatever may happen.....get over it. Do your job and protect YOUR kids the way YOU see fit. Everyone else can do the same; then you can keep your nose out of everyone else's business. That's the way this country was founded...INDIVIDUAL LIBERTIES. Keep yours and stay out of mine.

I'm all for safety. But I'm damn tired of other people trying to tell ME how I should be safe. It is absolutely stupid for anyone to not wear a seat belt when riding in a car. But if someone wants to be stupid? Who am I to tell them what to do?
Maybe you missed the part where he asked everyone’s opinion on this? Lol. You sure are fired up.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:17 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Let's face it - if we wanted a "safe" car we wouldn't be driving these things. 60 year old technology on today's roads is not exactly safe to start with. We drive these cars because we like the styling and the old school feel. If you want safe buy a Volvo.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:32 PM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

I do it all the time on local roads around my area of town. My almost 4 year old girl loves riding shotgun. She tells her friends my daddy has side pipes. She also screams out stick me to my seat.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:42 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Yes, I get "fired up" when people post about what "others" should do with their lives. Several of the posts in this thread were of that sort. Keep losing individual freedoms to the "all-seeing and all-knowing" government [via arbitrary rules and requirements] and you will soon have none. Complacency is the death-knell of freedom....
Old 09-25-2018, 04:58 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Yes, I get "fired up" when people post about what "others" should do with their lives. Several of the posts in this thread were of that sort. Keep losing individual freedoms to the "all-seeing and all-knowing" government [via arbitrary rules and requirements] and you will soon have none. Complacency is the death-knell of freedom....
There is a difference between doing what is safe(r) and what is allowed. Should the PO be allowed to drive his kid around in a C3? Absolutely! It is probably even completely legal (not my problem to solve). Will it help generate some great memories and a lifetime love of Corvettes? I hope so!

Is it best practice? No. A rear facing seat is safer, if the kid fits. There is no airbag, so rear facing in a C3 would be my recommendation until he outgrows it. The OP asked for an opinion, there it is, and worth what you paid for it.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:57 PM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chapter2
Somehow, we all survived WITHOUT child seats at all! ...
That is simply not true.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:57 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

What a thread "personal opinion" threads always get the most replies over tech help anyway,

I see all kinds of opinions and viewpoints, i have to chuckle a little that the loudest about not being told what to do go around doing just that to others.

Bad parent or cool dad?
Many times the answer is both,
Kids might think a dad is really cool if he lets them eat cookie dough for dinner but many would see that as a bad parent.

I dont know child seat laws or how you drive and its really not my business,
To me the coolest part of this is that you do want your child with you,
So many guys want to put a car hobby before family, how clueless and sad,
My hats off to you for wanting your son with you.

Opinions off a forum dont matter and in this case only two opinions count yours and the childs mother, and they are 50/50.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:56 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,480 Likes on 1,000 Posts

So that's what it has come to; we have to research current law to take our kids for a ride.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:13 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Mr D.
So that's what it has come to; we have to research current law to take our kids for a ride.
YEP- "Ignorance of the law excuses not"
Old 09-26-2018, 03:47 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,480 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
YEP- "Ignorance of the law excuses not"
Well than don't carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket if it is Sunday because that is against the law in GA.

Also, did you know members of the GA state assembly cannot be ticketed for speeding while the state assembly is in session.

Last edited by Mr D.; 09-26-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Bad Parent or Cool Dad? Taking my 2 year old in my C3