C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking-Popping In Frontal T-Top Area Cause and Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:46 AM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Default Creaking-Popping In Frontal T-Top Area Cause and Fix?

For 5 years I have methodically removed most of the normal C3 exterior/interior noises from my car - foam insulation, lubrication, new parts or tightening screws/bolts . I appreciate most of the quirks of a C3, but not interior noises.
Here is the issue I would like help with correcting if anyone has had the identical issue. Whenever I drive over an uneven road surface where the body flexes even slightly and with the T-Tops off

- especially in outside temps below 70 degrees (F), there is an obnoxious popping noise from the frontal area of the T-Top bar nearest the windshield. Or, perhaps from under the T-Top bar in contact with the trim piece that seems to affix to the T-Top center bar. With everything else pretty much now relatively normal/quiet, the noise is violent-sounding, especially on irregular road surface at any speed of 20 MPH +.
I do not believe that it is from the new windshield header mouldings because I insulated them with foam strips when I installed them. But, before I start randomly taking things apart and guessing I thought I would check in with any experienced folks, here.
Does anyone have experience with successfully correcting this popping/creaking noise while driving over irregular roads (about half of the roads in these parts) again, with the T-Tops off?

Thanks in advance -

DV

Last edited by Lakeside49; 09-25-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:07 PM
1965Carmen
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my 72 coupe the noise came from the locating tabs on the T-tops that fit into the center bar.
Lubricating them with a little white lithium grease took care of that particular noise.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:32 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by 1965Carmen
on my 72 coupe the noise came from the locating tabs on the T-tops that fit into the center bar.
Lubricating them with a little white lithium grease took care of that particular noise.
This is helpful (I will leave a "Thanks"!), but can you elaborate on exactly where you placed the lubrication, assuming you experienced the same noise with the T-Tops off of the vehicle??? It is not a minor trim-on-trim rubbing noise, it sounds like a loud `pop', even on no-so-irregular roads. Your note is encouraging, though.
Again, thank you "Carmen".

Dave

Old 09-26-2018, 05:34 AM
1965Carmen
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might have missed the last part of your message and be a different problem, as I had the creaking noise with the tops in, don't often have them out.
I just placed the lubricant on the tabs and a little into the receiving hole on the center bar.
On my 72 the rearview mirror attaches to the center of the header where it meets that bar. Maybe another source of noise?
I had a creak from the horizontal part of the dash at the base of there windshield, could that noise be transmitted and seem to come from higher? I used a little rubber insulation on that one.
Any chance of birdcage rust -- if so the windshield may be flexing -- if you pull on the upper corners of the windshield is it solid?
Hope that helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Creaking-Popping In Frontal T-Top Area Cause and Fix?

Quick Reply: Creaking-Popping In Frontal T-Top Area Cause and Fix?