Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chevy dealer refuse to work on any corvettes older than 2000

Old 09-29-2018, 02:38 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
The dealer may not even have the correct oil and filter. Kudos for saying up front "We cannot do what you asked."
Adding to that, most dealers buy their oil in bulk, as in 55 gallon drums. Today, with all cars having roller camshafts, the Dexos certified oil doesn't have the right amount of ZDPP in it, for a flat tappet camshafted car. Therefore, if the guy at the dealership didn't realize this, and put 5 quarts of their "bulk oil" into the OP's 1976 Corvette, they'd be doing a camshaft swap, within several thousand miles, and they sure as hell don't want that!!
The following users liked this post:
Dynra Rockets (10-01-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 02:44 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I would NEVER take a car older than 10 years to a dealer for work. Rates too high, can't get parts (local stores can), too much time to do the same work AND

their mechanics have never been trained to do work on these old cars! If they don't know it already, they can't do the work....and the boss wouldn't 'make time' with them working on "the learning curve".
Old 09-29-2018, 03:02 PM
docmow
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

well i just wanted to support our clubs sponsor and dew to and injury unable to work on lower or under car and do not have a rack yet
thank you for your response
Old 09-29-2018, 04:24 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

dealers don't make any money on oil changes/tire rotations.. they are looking to upcharge and upsell.. batteries, brakes, hoses, belts, injectors, lite bulbs, flushes... lots of these parts for older cars are only available from chinese parts houses, and 5 days later shipping.. they know the parts market is crap and they can't warrantee the parts and don't want the car coming back..
if they have idle workers then sure maybe take in the older stuff.. but workers are rarely idle...
the bulk of their revenue is warranty work and the more common stuff on 5 year old or less cars and they stay plenty busy doing that.

a technician today is specialized.. one has to take a class and be certified even to be a tire technician.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:00 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by docmow
well i just wanted to support our clubs sponsor and dew to and injury unable to work on lower or under car and do not have a rack yet
thank you for your response
When you say club, I assume this is not a Corvette club? If you aren't already a member of one I suggest you join one because there will most likely be a member who can help you out or point you to businesses willing to do the work you need done properly.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:42 PM
docmow
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

i am color country corvette club st george utah and ncrs color country club is great but are c6-c7 and i did not asked them just wanted to support stephen wade chevrolet no local ncrs so i just thought it was strange that people would refuse work
in my business we always tried to do the best for consumer clients so that is probably why we won toro dealer of year brigs and stratton diamond dealer and may manufactures best and highest awards for 35 + years
paul
Old 09-29-2018, 07:09 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,685 Likes on 2,984 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Do the oil change & tire rotation yourself, pretty simple stuff there
Old 09-29-2018, 08:53 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

My recent experience with my 1980 Corvette at our local Chevy Dealer, Maquire Chevy Cadillac in Ithaca NY was excellent.
The clutch safety switch was failing. The part is discontinued, so I purchased the original GM part from a vendor thru EBay and reproduction bushings from a Corvette Parts Supplier. I spent an afternoon trying to do the job myself and was unable to get the job done.
I called the local dealer and asked if they would do the job, and mentioned I already purchased the switch as I knew it was discontinued by GM. They said they would.
The mechanic told me the retainer that holds the clutch rod had been previously removed and was on the verge of working loose. He was surprised they had them and replaced it for no parts charge. He also said the clutch needed adjusting and did that as well. The switch and switch rod bushings were replaced and the car now starts much easier.

Two years ago I took my other 1980 to them as the steering would wander a bit. They told me one tie rod was bad, so I had them replace all of them as I figured the others would need it before long. Front was also aligned and the problem was solved.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:13 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

When I had my Harley Davidsons the dealer told me they didn't, as a rule, work on any bikes older than 10 years,

I asked why, because some parts were unavailable except through aftermarket, or not available at all? The service manager said no, its not that. Often when you work on an old bike and fix something soon after that something else may go bad that had nothing to do with the original repair. Customers don't understand and blame the dealer for doing something to cause the new problem and want it fixed no charge. He said they either wind up losing money or losing a customer. or both. The best course of action is to not work on old bikes and recommend an independent shop.

Maybe thats another reason a Chevy dealer doesn't want to service an old Corvette. Two days after they rotate the tires a caliper starts leaking and an angry customer returns blaming them, or they change the oil and a rear seal starts leaking and the customer thinks "they must have done something under there" while the car was on the lift. No win any way you look at it.

Nope, you either need to learn the skills to work on these old low-tech cars or find a good old fashioned low-tech mechanic. They are still around but getting but finding a good one is getting harder to do.

Last edited by stock76; 09-29-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:29 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

In around 2011 or so I took my 79 to the local chevy dealer and they installed new weatherstripping for me. For a couple years later I got letters from their service department every six months or so encouraging me to bring the car back in for checkups and service.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:51 AM
Jjohnston1010
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3

I made this mistake with my C3 when I couldnt get the door open. Voss Chevy in Ohio will work on them, but I dont recommend it. They couldnt fix my door so I found a master technician that would.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:46 AM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

[QUOTE=449er;1598074523]Do the oil change & tire rotation yourself, pretty simple stuff

Agree!
Old 10-01-2018, 05:14 AM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

I suspect it depends on the dealer...I took my 67 Camaro to the local Chevrolet dealer for some major work on the brakes and engine and they were happy to work on my car. Likely whether they have a old timer (or a younger one who is really into older cars) on staff that knows the older cars. Unfortunately these guys are getting rarer to find now days!

Redvette2
Old 10-02-2018, 02:47 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Redvette2
I suspect it depends on the dealer...I took my 67 Camaro to the local Chevrolet dealer for some major work on the brakes and engine and they were happy to work on my car. Likely whether they have a old timer (or a younger one who is really into older cars) on staff that knows the older cars. Unfortunately these guys are getting rarer to find now days!

Redvette2
I agree. A couple places around here will work on your C3, just tell them what you need and they will schedule you when their "Corvette Guy" is on duty. Just order your aftermarket parts before the appointment.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:03 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

So if I have a '97, '98 or '99 C5 they wouldn't work on it? Personally I do all my own maintenance and troubleshooting on all my cars unless they have a factory warranty. I just see dealer "mechanics" as computer IT guys these days.
If a "technician" can't change the oil on a 40 year old car they have no business being in the business. I wouldn't trust someone like that to change the spark plug in my lawnmower (if they could find it without a computer).
Old 10-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

Default Different times...

Back in the 60's and 70's I was too young and poor to afford new cars and the cheap older ones I bought always needed work. Not having mechanic repair money, I was forced to buy parts and learn to fix them myself. My family and friends are amazed that I now do all most all the work myself on the '68 and likely would not have an older classic car if I had to pay someone.

That said the forums and DIY sites are excellent resources for support for a newby to learn on if so inclined. For me this car is a great hobby and I get a real sense of accomplishment when I can do it myself. Now to figure out how to get all that grease totally out of my fingernails.

Redvette2 (actually #4)
Old 10-07-2018, 12:02 PM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

I was a tech for Chrysler from 1987 until 1998. One day a guy came in with a 78 Corvette that was running like crap. Ended up needing a new camshaft. I did the job. We worked on anything that came through the door. We even worked on the owners boat.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:35 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

My husband is one of those old time mechanics that works on everything. The shop he works at does everything. He's recently worked on cars such as a 68 Charger and a 47 Chevy half ton truck.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:09 PM
Mshawnm109r
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is simply because there techs are not trained to work on cars that old. Gm will not stand beside them on anything they are not trained in. Most of the techs have never had realistic training in tuning or alignment procedure with your corvette. Hey they did you a favor . It they are not qualified then why charge you for the work that isn't right. You need to find and older tech that knows these cars .I'm 51 years old, and I started working on gm cars and trucks since 1987. I'm a rare breed now. I've been trainned in the old points condenser type with carb. With F.I. With dist. And distributorless ignition and up to date with new series IV LS engines . I'm Very blessed to be able to learn all these changes it fuel and ignition controll. Trust me They did you a favor turning you away.

Mshawn

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: chevy dealer refuse to work on any corvettes older than 2000