Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 C3 rusted shut hood

Old 10-14-2018, 12:57 AM
Parzzival
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 C3 rusted shut hood

I have a 1978 C3 that the hood cable broke. I attempted to use the screw driver method to get the latch to move but I put about 150lbs on it and it never budged. It has rusted solid. So any amount of torque I can get from the outside will just break the fire wall (I already put a hell of a dent in it from trying to get it to move). Any other suggestions? On the driver side, the rock guard for the transmission (auto) is right against the side of the car so there is no way to get to it from the underside with out at least taking all of the guards off. Has anyone else in this situation found a solution other then cutting a hole in the hood?
Old 10-14-2018, 12:24 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

are you sure you are trying in the right direction? you might be thinking 76-earlier latches. here is a add-on hood release setup. does you no good now, but shows close-ups of the latch (right one) and direction it has to go.
Amazon Amazon
also go to ebay and search 78 corvette hood latch and study the pics. looks like left latch releases downward and right latch releases toward the left.

Last edited by derekderek; 10-14-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Parzzival
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The driver one goes to the left/down. It pivots on 1 point. I have studied both and I can not get to the passenger one due to a after market part that was put in place over the access hole. Not sure what it is because I have never opened the hood.

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 C3 rusted shut hood

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1978 C3 rusted shut hood