Sponsored by:

So...I watched this C3 alignment video on YouTube

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Jim71Vette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default So...I watched this C3 alignment video on YouTube

by "CorvetteHop". I'm reassembling my '71 rear suspension and haven't connected parts that he disconnects in his method... so I was interested.
Before he starts he uses a length of 2x4 and bubble level on the rim and adjusts rear chamber to 0 and then reverses the rotor.. I don't have wheels/tires yet so I can't do that, I do have Smart Struts installed. The strut length was set to length of oem strut and the cam is "centered". Can I assume that my rear chamber is 0 ?

I know the sizes and location of the old shim packs and and installed new SS packs and thought I would be good. BUT I noticed when I setup the Smart Struts that the left oem strut was bent and almost 1/2" shorter than the right side. So now I'm not sure if installing the same size shim packs would be a good starting point.

Another thought... could I mount a wheel and adjust the strut length to get 0 on the bubble level?

Thanks,

Last edited by Jim71Vette; 10-12-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add YouTube link
The following users liked this post:
Jeffs82c3 (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 05:53 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I’m going thru this also. The only thought I agree with is your last one.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:05 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

Are you just looking for close, so that you can make it to a alignment shop?
I had my wheels on, drove a few miles to settle the new suspension, then used a level with spacers on the rims, then adjusted the rods to 0 deg. Then to the alignment shop. I don't believe that any do it yourself alignment with strings and 2x4's are going to be as good as a shop can do.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:51 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim71Vette
by "CorvetteHop". I'm reassembling my '71 rear suspension and haven't connected parts that he disconnects in his method... so I was interested.
Before he starts he uses a length of 2x4 and bubble level on the rim and adjusts rear chamber to 0 and then reverses the rotor.. I don't have wheels/tires yet so I can't do that, I do have Smart Struts installed. The strut length was set to length of oem strut and the cam is "centered". Can I assume that my rear chamber is 0 ?

I know the sizes and location of the old shim packs and and installed new SS packs and thought I would be good. BUT I noticed when I setup the Smart Struts that the left oem strut was bent and almost 1/2" shorter than the right side. So now I'm not sure if installing the same size shim packs would be a good starting point.

Another thought... could I mount a wheel and adjust the strut length to get 0 on the bubble level?

Thanks
What is your final goal, have a shop complete the alignment and you need to get it close enough to drive, or are you looking to complete the alignment your self ?
In this post I explained how I do my own alignments. This is a short description of what I do for rear alignments.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-at-home.html
Old 10-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Jim71Vette
Racer

Thanks for your replies.

At this point, the car is a looong way from being able to get to a alignment shop, if I can find one.
What I like about CorvetteHop's video is that it seems simple to set the "toe" IF I can get the chamber to zero.
What I need to do is get the chamber set. Is there a way to do this with the car on stands?
Can I just mount the wheels, leave the suspension hanging and adjust the strut lengths until 0 on the bubble level?
Should the TA be raised to some point to simulate the drive height and if so to what point? Level TA's?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2018, 03:21 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

You can't do wheel alignments on jackstands. The weight of the car must be on the wheels. Why do you want 0 camber to start off? Just set the camber to what you want and then do the toe and go back and recheck your camber and toe after a short drive or moving the car forward and back several feet.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Bossom19
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sayfoo
I had my wheels on, drove a few miles to settle the new suspension, then used a level with spacers on the rims, then adjusted the rods to 0 deg. Then to the alignment shop. I don't believe that any do it yourself alignment with strings and 2x4's are going to be as good as a shop can do.
+1
Old 10-11-2018, 07:31 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

If it is not leaving the driveway anytime soon, it is already aligned close enough. Sweat those details later.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:35 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Sayfoo
Is your car complete and you just did the rear suspension?
If complete and full weight, you could probably get close by leveling your car and putting your rear jack stands under your trailing arms in line with the half shafts. This should be the same as supporting the car on the tires.
But it will still change after you drive it a bit.

Last edited by Sayfoo; 10-11-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:22 PM
Jim71Vette
Racer

Basically the body(no interior) is on frame and the rear suspension is installed. The engine(sb), TH400, front suspension, steering gear etc are not installed.
I'm interested in CorvetteHop's alignment method because he disconnects/removes items I haven't installed yet. I just want to get "close" so I can finish installing the rear suspension and move on to the front.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:44 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

He disconnected the spring just so it would be easier to slide arm around?

Get notified of new replies

To So...I watched this C3 alignment video on YouTube

Quick Reply: So...I watched this C3 alignment video on YouTube