C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who here ditched power steering for manual, let’s talk.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,137 Likes on 2,328 Posts

I promised an update when my car was back on the road. That happened over the weekend, and I've gotten many more miles since then.

The front end is the same (worn out control arm bushings and a tired, sloppy steering box being the big problems). She now has almost new Cooper Cobra 255/60R15 tires (from my wife's 79). And the entire rear end is new except for the differential (VB&P composite spring, shortened, 385 lbs, Bilstein Sports, rebuilt trailing arms and halfshafts, heim-jointed strut rods, rebuilt rear calipers). I left the rear sway bar off for now until I redo the front, but she's now half-fast.

What a difference. Smooth, quick, and no more harsh than before. Despite not touching the front end, the manual steering is even better, possibly because she tracks straight. Heim-jointed strut rods are much better than not having strut rod bushings at all.

I haven't tried parallel parking, but I have backed into a few parking spaces, (a trick I picked up from driving a truck, and every person in Japan, and it makes manual steering a lot easier). I have the worst possible arrangement short of a big block and larger than OEM wheels, with a 14" steering wheel and the quick-ratio (only) steering arms. Not a problem if you plan ahead.

Also, if you think Corvettes are bad about taking two spaces to avoid door dings, check out these school buses.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:35 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Sharp looking car bike,

Old 10-23-2018, 01:54 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

I wouldn't own a C3 without PS or PB. Cant imagine trying to make the argument that the lack of either could possibly be "better."

Seriously, on what planet does having less parts (?) make manual vs power steering a better idea?
Old 10-23-2018, 02:26 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

I have heard many times in my life fewer parts ( to break ) is better, but i believe i get the point you are going for.

I cant speak for others, and im not trying to argue it,
In my world and in posting this thread i do all my own work with budgeted funds and limited health, my time is very valuable,
If trying to get my power steering to work correcly and leak free takes more time and money then it might be better ( for me ) to just go manual.

Last edited by The13Bats; 10-23-2018 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:40 PM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I switched my 1976 to manual steering back in 1982 when I put the big block in it. Never regretted it.

Quick Reply: who here ditched power steering for manual, let’s talk.