Sponsored by:

Side pipe car

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:11 PM
68 Wisconsin
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side pipe car

Before anyone laughs at me - I know. They didn't make the '68s with side pipes. I did the research. The reason I joined this forum is because I was doing more research. That's how I came across this forum. I see the thread from a few years back where someone else claimed to have a '68 with factory side pipes. That person was summarily (and rather humorously) shot down. Back in 1995 I acquired a '68 big block. I was stationed in Hawaii at the time, found the car in Colorado, and gave it to my Dad (RIP) as a surprise birthday gift. When I got the car back a few years ago, I started doing some research. I call this car "FrankenVette" because it is an odd car. The 1968 options on the car are the VIN (obviously), the door entry buttons, the ignition key insert location, the tail lights and the reverse lights. The 1969 options on the car are the Stingray badges, chrome shark gill inserts, the map pocket, and - wait - factory side pipes. Two years ago a man that had worked for a prominent Chevrolet dealership near Chicago for decades (he lived across the lake from me in Wisconsin) heard about my car. He came over to look at it. The first thing he did was to slide underneath the car to see where the "normal" exhaust pipes would have been. He inspected the entire car and he told me that "you have a factory side-pipe car." Last year he retired to northern Minnesota (he likes his hurricanes in the winter) so I won't mention his name, but if needed, I can contact him. Many of you might know him. So what's my point? A (FEW) 1968s MIGHT have factory side pipes. It's my understanding that less than 5000 from 1969 had that N14 option. The car is in hibernation now for the early Wisconsin winter. Next summer I intend to drop the gas tank to see if the build sheet is still there. I will let you know what I find out from any documentation. I already know what it looks like in real life, and an expert agrees.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:06 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moving this over to C3 General for those members to enjoy the story.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:30 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Also might be interesting to see if the front clip at the bottom was cut to accommodate the side pipe exhaust. Similar to the picture below which is a factory side pipe car from 69.

RVZIO

Old 10-18-2018, 03:32 AM
sassc3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with the "expert"...you have a factory side pipe car...just that the factory side pipes are from 69 and not installed in the factory.

from what i've seen in factory production lines, it would be highly unlikely that the plant would make special runs. the plants have very little space to accommodate special stations to be just added in. not to mention the side pipes would have to be manufactured and shipped to the plant. and all that has major logistics that has to be planned for and executed.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 AM
MuskieAL
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19,'23-'24

Hi 68,
Interesting story for sure. By any chance would your neighbors name happen to be George? If so, he just finished restoring my 72. He knows these cars!
Old 10-18-2018, 11:17 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

The NCRS 1968-69 Technical Information Manual and Judging Guide...any edition...will explain all the items to look for when determining whether or not a 1969 had the side pipes installed at the factory. One clear indication of a factory installation is the absence of threads in the holes of the frame for a grounding strap attachment to the center exhaust pipe hanger at the transmission. If the car was converted to side exhaust, the only way to get rid of those threads would be to enlarge the hole. I would measure the hole diameter for you on my genuine factory-installed sidepipe car shown above, but I would have to jack it up and crawl underneath. Sorry.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:28 PM
cicconjo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps car was a leftover from ‘68 that was sold after the new ‘69s arrived and the pipes were dealer installed?
Old 10-18-2018, 01:06 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

Show me one original tank sticker or any factory documentation to back up the claim that a car came off the assembly line with side pipes in 1968 and I will believe it.

It seems every 68 with a claim of "From the factory as built with original sidepipes" never seems to have the documentation to back it up. Just stories. "I once saw this or that", "Some guy said this", "I owned one at one time but its gone". Always the same. Any 68 can be made to look like it had side pipes as original equipment if you know what to modify. Did GM make only a handful of "correct" rear side pipe lower valance panels for the 68 with the reverse lights? Do you think they would have spent the money and tooled up a fiberglass piece for just a few cars and not told anyone? Who would know to order it? It wasn't on the original retail order forms. In 69 side pipes were not available until January. I have heard there were some early 69 cars before January built with them but still have not seen a genuine tank sticker to prove that either. That makes the chances of late 68 cars built with them even less.

Prominent Chevrolet dealership employees are not good witnesses. I have never taken my cars to the dealer for service. I wouldn't trust them to fix a flat tire. I certainly wouldn't believe the majority of them would know much about indentifying original equipment on a 68.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Someone show me a tank sticker. Not saying they CAN'T exist. But I want some real proof. Not stories.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:11 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

Also, since you still own the car we can look at something right now even without getting it out until spring. Look at the vin.

Whats the build date using the vin? Is it a very late 68? If it was built during the middle of the run or earlier it makes it even more unlikely. All the added 69 parts make it likely it was updated with the parts sometime after 69.

Also, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by ed427vette; 10-18-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:12 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Originally Posted by ed427vette
Show me one original tank sticker or any factory documentation to back up the claim that a car came off the assembly line with side pipes in 1968 and I will believe it.

It seems every 68 with a claim of "From the factory as built with original sidepipes" never seems to have the documentation to back it up. Just stories. "I once saw this or that", "Some guy said this", "I owned one at one time but its gone". Always the same. Any 68 can be made to look like it had side pipes as original equipment if you know what to modify. Did GM make only a handful of "correct" rear side pipe lower valance panels for the 68 with the reverse lights? Do you think they would have spent the money and tooled up a fiberglass piece for just a few cars and not told anyone? Who would know to order it? It wasn't on the original retail order forms. In 69 side pipes were not available until January. I have heard there were some early 69 cars before January built with them but still have not seen a genuine tank sticker to prove that either. That makes the chances of late 68 cars built with them even less.

Prominent Chevrolet dealership employees are not good witnesses. I have never taken my cars to the dealer for service. I wouldn't trust them to fix a flat tire. I certainly wouldn't believe the majority of them would know much about indentifying original equipment on a 68.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Someone show me a tank sticker. Not saying they CAN'T exist. But I want some real proof. Not stories.

Perfectly stated.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:54 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Stirring the pot a bit...I do have a 69 'pipe car'. After 45 years of playing with C-3's I find the following exceptions;
VERY LATE 68...mine is a very early 69 and there are some 68 bit's in it. There was a bit of crossover at the plant.
Foreman's friends....these were the days when a plant worker with the connections could get this stuff built.
Floor scrapings...I've seen stuff on C-3's that were clearly just WEIRD....but completely 'factory'....mine has the headlight squirters on one side UP and the other side DOWN.

As others have said...show me the tank sticker!

good luck. Uncahal
Old 10-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I agree with Ed and Vettebuyer. You've put yourself in a position of having to confirm what you say. If you have the documentation, I'm sure all of us would love to see it.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:12 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

does the car have all the tell-tale signs of being a real sidepipe car?

insulation on frame rails?
lower fender and rear wheel openings cut?
straight rear body panel,no exhaust cut-outs?

etc
Old 10-20-2018, 10:21 AM
69FASTFUN
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 141 Posts

Another fact is that 69 side pipes were not available until mid year of the 69 production run and the rear quarter panels are different so it can use the blanket out exhaust valance.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:56 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Years ago I had an "expert" tell me I had an early 68 because my car has no headrests. Well, my car was built in late May of 68. My point is I have heard countless theories from alleged experts over the years. I have owned my 68 since 1985.
About 10 years ago I bought my other Corvette, which is an August 69 build L46 coupe. I am the 2nd owner. I purchased it from the original. It is a real side exhaust car. I have pictures from new, and I have a partial tank sticker that I removed ( documented here years ago) where the word "exhaust" is clearly visible. Since off road was not a 69 option, my N14 option was settled (plus the other factory indications).
As someone mentioned, N14 was not offered in 69 until at least Dec of 68 or Jan of 69. I do agree that out of norm parts were sometimes assembled at the factory. For instance, my 69 (L46 no AC or TI) has an 1100882 61A alternator on it. It SHOULD have an 859 42A. With that said, the original owner I bought it from never changed a screw. Still has working smog. The 882 is dated correctly for my car, has the NS ink stamp, and looks as old as any other component. Unlike the N14, I have no way of proving it was assembled with the 882 on it, but I believe it likely was. I even have an 859 I bought to replace it but cannot bring myself to swap them out.
If you happen to have a 1 off real 68 with factory side exhaust that would be interesting to say the least, however, with the other 69 parts you mentioned ( Stingray script being one), it sounds like they ( along with the script) were added later in life. Honestly, the chances your side exhaust is factory assembled is close to zero, but I would stop short of saying absolute 0.
What is the build date of your 68 and try to get to the tank sticker. Welcome to the Corvette Forum. BTW, I am NO EXPERT.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:07 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Also, after reading your post again, you stated the one of the options was the "VIN". Not sure whst that means because I am sure you are aware options on these cars cannot be derived from the VIN. Maybe I misunderstood.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:51 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

I’m looking forward to hearing how this plays out. Very interesting to hear about “exceptions” like the alternator that John mentioned above.

As these cars cars get older, the number of things that have been altered and updated gets longer while the few documents available gets shorter and more deteriorated. While not every story is true, I’m sure that many are. I remember someone finding a bullet in their #3 body mount pocket that likely came from the factory ( though I doubt that one was documented on the build sheet ).

Ed is right in that the more extraordinary the exception, the more supporting evidence will be needed to convince people. A tank sticker with the option on it would be outstanding but it isn’t very likely that you’ll find it attached and legible after 50 years. Possible, but unlikely. It then falls to putting together a list of compelling evidence like the ground strap hole threads. You’ll never convince everyone that way, but it doesn’t make the persuit any less interesting.

Get notified of new replies

To Side pipe car

Old 10-21-2018, 06:41 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
Also, after reading your post again, you stated the one of the options was the "VIN". Not sure whst that means because I am sure you are aware options on these cars cannot be derived from the VIN. Maybe I misunderstood.
It’s very clear by ed427vette in #9 post that he was using the VIN to establish the build date to determine if this ‘68 was an early, mid-yr or late build
Old 10-26-2018, 02:30 PM
427HEVN
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the expertise in this forum. Guys I'm new to the forum, but not to C3s. I too have a Nov 68 built 69

Stingray with interesting differences I'll get into later. For now, I need help with a side exhaust question.

I replaced my side pipes in 2005. I only drive her 200-500 miles per year, but noted a couple of years ago my side pipes are "sagging" below the covers in the front. They sag a little more each year. Take a look at my attached pic.

Does anyone know what is going on here? What could cause this change? What kind of fix would you recommend? Appreciate any input

Save the Wave
Old 10-26-2018, 04:19 PM
bikesnbroadheads
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

very nice 69 427 HEVN my buddies wife has one very close to the same as yours she bought new right out of high school! not saying your sagging pipes are the same issue as what mine were that I just corrected. the fiber gasket between the pipe and exhaust manifold deteoriated and left the pipe move inside the flange. I installed the metal gaskets this time and is staying put so far. seems like a lot of weight hanging off the exhaust manifold. not sure why GM didn't put another hanger up towards the front of the sidepipe.
The following users liked this post:
427HEVN (10-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Side pipe car