1976 Parking Brake Hold-Down Pin Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:04 AM
rossiter76vette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1976 Parking Brake Hold-Down Pin Replacement

Hey everyone,
So in attempting to continue the restoration of my car, I went to work on replacing all of the parking brake components with new SS parts from Ecklers. I'm doing all of this with everything still bolted on the car. I got everything torn down, except I cannot figure out how to get the rear hold down pin (passenger side) out? The front pin was able to fall right out the back but the rear seems like it doesn't have a place to go. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 10-20-2018, 09:11 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Without unbolting the hub, I don't believe you can get the second pin out without bending the backing plate (a lot). If it's not totally rusted out you're best to just leave that one in place
HIH
M
Old 10-21-2018, 09:09 AM
rossiter76vette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mooser, damn that’s what I thought. Unfortunately the pin needs to be replaced. Any tips for unbolting the hub?
Old 10-21-2018, 12:34 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

I am building a set of arms this week in Cheshire, if you want to see them up close. You would have to bend the backing plate on each side to get the captured pins out.

NOTE- I don't care whose SS kit you bought, they all need to be fit. Look at your new pins, they should have "sharp arrowheads" most are just stamped out and radiused, they could pop out of the cups. Many times the star wheels are too long and the shoes wont' collapse, when you assemble them the shoes hit the rotor hats. I have seen the upper springs come in with a long bend on the hooks, the levers hit them and pop off the spring from the shoe. I radius the levers and machine the star wheels. The shoes are thicker and the star wheel slots burred so they don't slide on- you have to deburr and kiss the shoes with a grinder. I do this with all SS kits and had to the past 10-15 years.

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 Parking Brake Hold-Down Pin Replacement

Quick Reply: 1976 Parking Brake Hold-Down Pin Replacement