Sponsored by:

Cracked windshield on 69 stingray Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 12:53 AM
Pbphantom
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked windshield on 69 stingray Convertible

Cracked windshield on 69 stingray Driving home this evening a rock hit at the very top of my windshield. Was going to call a glass repair company to fill in the crack ASAP however a couple of hours later there is a crack that has run down toward the upper half of my windshield. The line is approximately 4 inches long Not entirely sure I know what the best option is. Any suggestions? Since this is a convertible, I’m also afraid that any replacement will compromise the shape and structure of the windshield frame. Alignment of the convertible top and to the pinholes is already a challenge.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:54 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

If a dollar bill covers the crack, that company that advertises on tv all the time can repair it. The crack will always be visible and be a weak spot. Windshield removal on our vettes will most likely show the rust that is occurring to the windshield frame which will need to be repaired before a new glass is installed. Taking the glass out does not change any part of the frame in relation to the top alignment. I had the windshield out of my roadster for months while I had the dash out and windshield frame repair, top worked the same after reassembly. T
The following users liked this post:
rickimvette (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:13 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

I suggest you pull the interior header and A-pillar pieces and look for rust. If so, this is not a job for Safelite. Reproduction glass with a correct date code is available, but pricey. You will undoubtedly end up straightening and polishing the stainless trim. Bummer. Just went thru it.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:25 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

I don’t see replacement glass compromising the shape and structure of the windshield frame. It will just be a matter of whether you want to pay a premium for correct looking dated and stamped glass.

The challenge will be what your windshield frame looks like once the glass and trim are removed. I’m going to say the majority of C3 windshield frames evidence some sort of rust damage there, simply from its poor design. Then you get to decide how to address it.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:55 PM
Pbphantom
Heel & Toe

Called safelight. If the crack is 6” or less they can repair. I’m currently at 5”. I placed clear tape hopefully to keep it from growing. Tuesday is the big day.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:21 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Mine just keep growing no matter what. I was unaware that Safelight could repair a crack, I thought they cold only repair a "star". Be aware that in some states you cannot pass a mandated safety inspection with a cracked windshield. I ultimately had no choice but to replace the windshield. If you are planning on keeping the car it may be a better option and it allowed me to access the birdcage in that area and clean it up and make it more rust resistant. I found very little damage but the confidence in knowing my birdcage was secure. Good luck Ike
Old 10-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Motorvation
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Repairing any crack is BS. It's way impractical. The "liquid " either has to capillary into the crack or the crack has to be drill about every two inches to be filled. It is a "come on" to selling you a windshield.
This ain't no beater you're stringing together. Find a conscious auto glass technician to pull the broken glass, make what repair you need, if any, and install a new glass. If the tech has to come back another day, so be it. Here's where General Ike is Spot On.
Vettebuyer6369 is right about the structural integrity of the window frame. The glass shouldn't be holding the car together.
Good luck and let us know how it comes together.....

Steve O.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:54 AM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Reading previous entries on this subject and having had this repair done myself, you should try to find somebody with the right experience. As I had read here, too much adhesive and the moldings won't fit right.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:26 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

On other GM convertibles, decades ago, I noted that the GTO had never shown a top leak, why?? it was covered in vinyl across the top seal, and went under the window stainless trim....another Poncho B body had the same stainless as the vette and leaked like MAD, no stopping it.....SO on my '72 vert, I pulled all the chrome and liners and found the P/O had painted the birdcage/window frame and so it was solid, but it did leak on me, on went the vinyl up/over the frame/stainless trim, and down to the inner liner, no more leaks, even at 80 through a hurry-cain.......NOW to totally stop ANY chance of w/s frame rot, I pulled ALL the stainless trim, and totally filled the gaps in the frame/glass area and glued the stainless back in with the RTV black filler, I also filled the gaps from fender to frame under the stainless trim...no water gets to the frame.....

so far, so good....since '95 .....

Old 10-23-2018, 03:03 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Just put a windshield in. The crack will always be there. Do like the others said take out the interior pieces and see if there is rust. Take off the stainless and remove the windshield. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to do this type of work. Then after you clean the frame and fix what ever rot there is have safelight come in and do the windshield. Now thats another story because you have to deal with windshield height to get the stainless to look right.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:29 PM
Pbphantom
Heel & Toe

Update:
safelite came out...told me the phone agent was incorrect in stating that a 5” crack can be repaired. Looks like I need a new windshield. Also, that won’t touch a replacement on a ‘69.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:14 AM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Sorry to hear that but not surprised. Also I commend them for not fixing something they know nothing about. You need someone that works on Vettes.

It it took me few weeks to find the right person You May want to consider getting a “correct” etched windshield at this time and clean up the birdcage frame. Ike
Old 10-31-2018, 09:27 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Pbphantom
Cracked windshield on 69 stingray Driving home this evening a rock hit at the very top of my windshield. Was going to call a glass repair company to fill in the crack ASAP however a couple of hours later there is a crack that has run down toward the upper half of my windshield. The line is approximately 4 inches long Not entirely sure I know what the best option is. Any suggestions? Since this is a convertible, I’m also afraid that any replacement will compromise the shape and structure of the windshield frame. Alignment of the convertible top and to the pinholes is already a challenge.
Look this over for some very good information
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ll-how-to.html
Old 11-02-2018, 09:04 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorvation
Repairing any crack is BS.

Steve O.
Agree with Steve O. Just replace the cracked windshield! How could it compromise the frame?

My buddy just had his '68's replaced last Friday, no biggie. $350 [non-date coded]

BTW - SafeLite wouldnt do it.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:08 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I cracked mine
I didnt latch the hood and put something back there to orop it a bit more,
Im not a purist but i do have issue most or all replacement glass is thinner, i like the feel the old thicker stuff gives,
Then here in fl safelite only replaces back to 72..huh? 69 is the same, no, they say its completely different, um okay,
So after i fix the windshield frame im gonna practice by installing my cracked glass, tina jokes knowing me i will leave the cracked one in place.
Im guessing most fast food style glass shops cant do a c3 right anyway

Get notified of new replies

To Cracked windshield on 69 stingray Convertible

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield on 69 stingray Convertible