Sponsored by:

Advice on new (to me) Vette after years of being Vetteless

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 01:25 PM
Wade Wilbur
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Advice on new (to me) Vette after years of being Vetteless

After about 15 years without a Vette, I'm thinking about going back in. I had a C4, but really wanted a C3. After reading the "What to know before buying" thread, I'm a little concerned. It would be my daily driver, but I work from home, so I only put about 5,000 miles a year on the car. I cannot work on cars myself, but a good friend's son in law is a full time mechanics who would work on the car for me (for compensation of course). I have other vehicles, so it wouldn't be a problem if the car was down.

I've seen a few vehicles listed on Craigslist that look legit, is there any way I could post the ad and ask for opinions? Probably not, but I thought I'd check. Also, I do not have a garage, I have a Concrete slab next to my shed. Could I keep the car covered when not in use, or is that a bad idea?

Big question - is this just a bad idea? My budget is up to $15,000. I realize that any older car will need maintenance; are the C3s worse than most?

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:33 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

If your budget is $15,000 that puts you in a nice place for a very good quality rubber bumper C3. Many very nice '74-'82's are available that will need very little to no work done to them.

That said, storing one outdoors or under a cover isn't a great idea. It'll turn to sh#t in no time. T-tops tend to leak water, mice tend to take up home in them, corrosion from condensation, UV deterioration on the older paint, etc.

So unless you live somewhere with a lot of shade and little to no rainfall and vermin, I would not recommend a classic car unless you have an indoor space to store it when not in use.

Just my $0.02
The following 2 users liked this post by Tonio:
Mark Otnes (10-23-2018), mrvette (10-30-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 03:35 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Wade Wilbur
...I realize that any older car will need maintenance; are the C3s worse than most?...
No.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:41 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Depending on your wind/weather you need to build a shelter over the vette, since you have a slab, and a shed already, a simple 2x4 frame walled and ceiling covered with plywood and cheep plastic corrugated roofing will suffice....the door can be arranged the way you like, sliding, lifting, or even swing out pair of doors....ALL siding should be of HARDIBOARD......~3/8 thick concrete board, NOT WOOD!!!! no T-111

Old 10-23-2018, 05:24 PM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Agee on enclosed storage. When I had my C-4 in Staunton it was outside and covered. Mice took up residence in my a/c controls and made a mess of it.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:07 PM
Mark Otnes
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with "Chapter2," no garage, no Corvette. Seriously. As Chapter2 stated, "it will turn to sh#t in no time."
Old 10-25-2018, 07:14 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

+1, you need a garage. If you have a slab, the hard part is done.

You didnt mention if you want a convertible but I've seen nice C3 coupes in the $10-15K range [was trying to talk a buddy into one]

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/c...718506794.html

Post links to any in your area.

You can also post a want ad in the proper section of this forum, my friend found his car that way...

[this one was more than $15K]
Old 10-25-2018, 09:20 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

We didn’t get our C3 until indoor parking was figured out. We have 5 cars (two classics), a two car garage, and would not consider leaving any of them outside except our 2000 Mazda Protege with 188K miles on the odo. I agree with the others. Indoor parking is a must.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:17 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Why would mice be a particular problem with a daily drive Corvette versus any other car parked outside? Doesn't make much sense.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:56 AM
Wade Wilbur
Advanced

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
Why would mice be a particular problem with a daily drive Corvette versus any other car parked outside? Doesn't make much sense.
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:09 AM
Wade Wilbur
Advanced

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. It sounds like this might not be the best idea right now. I'll just keep lurking until I can talk myself into this!
Old 10-26-2018, 12:41 PM
GregX1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
seems they like the smell/taste of old hoses and old rubber.

I had a mouse in a my 1996 Jaguar.
And I do park the car inside, but it should have entered the engine bay somewhere, when the car was parked outside for a few hours.

It was winter, the car slept under a cover (in the garage) and the mouse ate lot of rubber, including hoses and electric wiring...
The smell in the garage made me think something was happening.

I was lucky, it did not eat vital stuff, but mainly covers and not vital stuff. But this engine bay was stinking like hell!

Now I have mouse traps in the engine bay of my Jaguar, and the one of my C3

ho, by the way, the mouse also ate some electric wiring inside my garage... new stuff, not old-smell rubber...
Old 10-26-2018, 12:50 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Hate to say this, but a nice C5 would be the ticket for a daily driver at your price point.

I have a C3 and a C5 and enjoy them both when I have time but I would not drive my C3 on a regular basis. And as my kids get closer to college age, I may sell both along with my lift. Life sometimes gets in the way doesn't it?
Old 10-27-2018, 07:28 AM
Wade Wilbur
Advanced

Originally Posted by RMVette
Hate to say this, but a nice C5 would be the ticket for a daily driver at your price point.

I have a C3 and a C5 and enjoy them both when I have time but I would not drive my C3 on a regular basis. And as my kids get closer to college age, I may sell both along with my lift. Life sometimes gets in the way doesn't it?
Great minds think alike. As much as I love the C3, it probably isn't the right time to buy one.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:28 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by GregX1
seems they like the smell/taste of old hoses and old rubber.

I had a mouse in a my 1996 Jaguar.
And I do park the car inside, but it should have entered the engine bay somewhere, when the car was parked outside for a few hours.

It was winter, the car slept under a cover (in the garage) and the mouse ate lot of rubber, including hoses and electric wiring...
The smell in the garage made me think something was happening.

I was lucky, it did not eat vital stuff, but mainly covers and not vital stuff. But this engine bay was stinking like hell!

Now I have mouse traps in the engine bay of my Jaguar, and the one of my C3

ho, by the way, the mouse also ate some electric wiring inside my garage... new stuff, not old-smell rubber...

My wife has two cats, I never see/smell live mice around here! I do occasionally see a dead one though...

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on new (to me) Vette after years of being Vetteless

Quick Reply: Advice on new (to me) Vette after years of being Vetteless