Replacing sport mirrors with chrome ones

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:46 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Replacing sport mirrors with chrome ones

Hey everyone

I'm tired of the sport mirrors on my 77. They have such a bad 'sight'. I can barely see over the rear 'hips' of my vette.
I have them on both sides.

Before I pull my door apart I want to know what to expect and what the possibilities are...
Does one of you guys have any experience swappng the sport m. with chrome m.?

I know that the holes for the sport mirrors are further apart then the holes for chrome mirrors.
Will I have to drill two new holes on each side? Or will one extra hole on the passenger side do it?
Do you guys have pictures of the holes for a sport mirror versus a chrome mirror?

Maybe I can make a SS plate to cover the existing holes?

Recommendations or thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-30-2018, 09:31 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,116 Likes on 726 Posts

The downside of the chrome mirror is that they will get loose or move out of alignment at high speeds. I swapped mine out for the sport mirrors.

Is the mirror spacer in correctly? If wrong, the mirror will be too close to the window.

There are threads here which put C6 mirrors on the car. Personally I hate the way they look, but each to his own.

I don't have an answer about the holes, but they are different and a backing plate is required.

Last edited by ignatz; 10-30-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:03 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Stick with the mirrors you have and add those stick on bubble mirrors, reinforce with RTV black sealant for extra glue.....I went goth ways, and the bubbles take some learning, but just do it.....

Old 10-31-2018, 11:17 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Novusuhu
Hey everyone

I'm tired of the sport mirrors on my 77. They have such a bad 'sight'. I can barely see over the rear 'hips' of my vette.
I have them on both sides.
They weren't designed to see over the rear hips. They should be adjusted farther out to reduce your blind spots as shown below. The rear view mirror is for seeing what is directly behind you. The side mirrors are for seeing objects off at an angle. Try it. I originally found this out at a defensive/high performance driving school I attended years ago. It's amazing how much better coverage you have with the side mirrors adjusted farther outward.

Last edited by Jason Staley; 10-31-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:58 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,116 Likes on 726 Posts

Here's how I adjusted my mirrors:

Pull in the garage and close the door behind you
Turn off all the lights
Shine a flashlight on each of the mirrors from approximately eye level
Look at the reflection shining on the garage door
Adjust as per Jason's diagram to overlap the reflections
Old 11-03-2018, 08:06 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Novusuhu , do you know if the mirrors are original to your car? Many folks added them after the fact back in the day because they were quite popular.

I ask this question because back in the day, lots of folks bought 'F-body' Sport Mirrors for their cars without realizing there is a significant difference between the Corvette Sport Mirrors and the F-body Sport Mirrors. The Corvette Sport Mirrors have a pedestal that is about 1" taller. You still get a 'good' view of your quarter panel, but a better view to the rear than you ever will with the F-body mirror.

Here's a pretty good picture of the Corvette Sport Mirror pedestal to compare to your mirror.

Good luck... GUSTO

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing sport mirrors with chrome ones

Quick Reply: Replacing sport mirrors with chrome ones