Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning Barn Find

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

I have some random pieces I can collect and see if you are interested. I had a 75 years ago. I have an original steering wheel and some engine trim pieces (chrome wire covers).
Old 11-12-2018, 06:47 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 148 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Cool story I have a 76 that was built in October of 75 it too has steel floors. I have no rear vents or Astro vent markings on my windows. My vin tag and title clearly show mine as a 76.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:46 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by jkippin
Cool story I have a 76 that was built in October of 75 it too has steel floors. I have no rear vents or Astro vent markings on my windows. My vin tag and title clearly show mine as a 76.
That would be correct, as the new car reveal was generally done in September, back then. So the '76 models were introduced in September of '75, with actual production starting in late August.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:21 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Get yourself a little mirror, some sandpaper, and find the VIN that is stamped on the frame. That is going to be your best bet on what this car really is. You cant change that unless you swap the frame, MUCH harder to do than a windshield tag. Also, post pics of the supports under the bumpers. They are the same 75-76 but 100% different for 1974. Would be interesting to see what you have.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:33 PM
Dave0870
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Latest update.... was going to change out the transmission filter and fluid today since I finished replacing the brakes and wanted to give it a spin around the block. Found out it has a 1978 transmission. This frankenvette keeps getting more mysterious.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:20 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

yes it does! Im in agreement about a 2 piece car. I know of a body shop that would take a front end wrecked car, cut it in half and splice it with the front end of 1 that had been rear ended.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:05 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
yes it does! Im in agreement about a 2 piece car. I know of a body shop that would take a front end wrecked car, cut it in half and splice it with the front end of 1 that had been rear ended.
I think that MANY of us know of one of those! There was a shop in my area that was buying up wrecks that were only a year old, then splicing them together, and selling them as "low mileage specials"...………...until they got caught, of course. What surprised many locals, is that was a very reputable shop, prior to this fiasco, and they really trashed their reputation by doing this.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:44 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I think that MANY of us know of one of those! There was a shop in my area that was buying up wrecks that were only a year old, then splicing them together, and selling them as "low mileage specials"...………...until they got caught, of course. What surprised many locals, is that was a very reputable shop, prior to this fiasco, and they really trashed their reputation by doing this.
Ecklers, silva, greenwood, etc likely did it their ways, it was common to buy wrecks to build customs and racers,
Or resale.

I dont understand the whole until the shop got caught,
While cheesedick not to where does a seller have to admit a car is a Frankenstein monster?
A savvy shopper should inspect the car and if you are a purist you likely will inspect it if you are wanting it to just drive or mod and the work is done well why care its a patched car. Many restorations are patched up
Old 11-18-2018, 03:00 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Ecklers, silva, greenwood, etc likely did it their ways, it was common to buy wrecks to build customs and racers,
Or resale.

I don't understand the whole until the shop got caught,

While cheesedick not to, where does a seller have to admit a car is a Frankenstein monster?
A savvy shopper should inspect the car and if you are a purist you likely will inspect it if you are wanting it to just drive or mod and the work is done well why care its a patched car. Many restorations are patched up
I completely understand what you're saying, but A) race cars are one thing, as it's commonly known that race cars DO get wrecked/rebuilt regularly; B) when a car is being passed off as a "low mileage, one owner" deal, and the purchaser takes it into a local gas station for an oil change, and while it's up on the rack, he suddenly sees a welded seam, going laterally across the floorpan, in the middle of the car, that's another deal altogether. And that's what the local shop was doing....

I forgot to add, this was in the days prior to Carfax.

Last edited by leadfoot4; 11-18-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:11 PM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave0870
Latest update.... was going to change out the transmission filter and fluid today since I finished replacing the brakes and wanted to give it a spin around the block. Found out it has a 1978 transmission. This frankenvette keeps getting more mysterious.
This car is just an enigma wrapped in a mystery!
Old 11-18-2018, 09:54 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I completely understand what you're saying, but A) race cars are one thing, as it's commonly known that race cars DO get wrecked/rebuilt regularly; B) when a car is being passed off as a "low mileage, one owner" deal, and the purchaser takes it into a local gas station for an oil change, and while it's up on the rack, he suddenly sees a welded seam, going laterally across the floorpan, in the middle of the car, that's another deal altogether. And that's what the local shop was doing....

I forgot to add, this was in the days prior to Carfax.
Is carfax an idiot light so todays buyers can skip inspections?
Does carfax go back to 1969, will someone run my car on it,
It wasnt only race cars, customs too, because they were cheaper to buy wrecks to mod,
Perhaps both pieces they welded together were low miles one owner, lol,
None of the smoke or mirrors replaces buyer common sense,
Old 11-19-2018, 07:47 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Is carfax an idiot light so todays buyers can skip inspections?
Does carfax go back to 1969, will someone run my car on it,
It wasnt only race cars, customs too, because they were cheaper to buy wrecks to mod,
Perhaps both pieces they welded together were low miles one owner, lol,
None of the smoke or mirrors replaces buyer common sense,
Actually, I put ZERO faith in Carfax, so NO, it doesn't replace diligence, when buying a used car. Case in point, my wife's 2001 Jaguar sedan was hit by a deer, around 2008. The repairs were made by the dealer's own body shop, and handled by our insurance company, so I assume all of the proper procedures were followed. 3 years later, we were looking to trade it in, on another car, and the second dealer immediately ran a Carfax scan on it. They didn't ask me if there were any "issues" with the car, so I didn't volunteer anything, as in all honesty, the previous damage was fairly minor. But nonetheless, I would have readily explained what had happened, if I was asked. Long story short, the Carfax report came back "clean"....
Old 11-19-2018, 09:18 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Actually, I put ZERO faith in Carfax, so NO, it doesn't replace diligence, when buying a used car. Case in point, my wife's 2001 Jaguar sedan was hit by a deer, around 2008. The repairs were made by the dealer's own body shop, and handled by our insurance company, so I assume all of the proper procedures were followed. 3 years later, we were looking to trade it in, on another car, and the second dealer immediately ran a Carfax scan on it. They didn't ask me if there were any "issues" with the car, so I didn't volunteer anything, as in all honesty, the previous damage was fairly minor. But nonetheless, I would have readily explained what had happened, if I was asked. Long story short, the Carfax report came back "clean"....
okay, we agree on carfux as i call it,

The body shop should tell the customer the car is made from two wrecks but a private person trading in a car need not disclose anything like hitting a deer...unless asked "have you ever hit a deer?".... got it!
Yeah, im messin' with you on that double standard.

I guess my point is while im no purist but the Other way i am not stupid,
I know a Frankenstein monster isnt what many c3 owners are desiring but i also do not see shops building cars from wrecks as $atan himself, unless they were asked and lied,

Some stunning top level restorations started as basketcases with parts from who knows and not always is there a provenance, i see that no different than what this body shop did unless they lied or stole etc.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:01 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

okay, we agree on carfux as i call it,

The body shop should tell the customer the car is made from two wrecks but a private person trading in a car need not disclose anything like hitting a deer...unless asked "have you ever hit a deer?".... got it!
Yeah, im messin' with you on that double standard.

I guess my point is while im no purist but the Other way i am not stupid,
I know a Frankenstein monster isnt what many c3 owners are desiring but i also do not see shops building cars from wrecks as $atan himself, unless they were asked and lied,

Some stunning top level restorations started as basketcases with parts from who knows and not always is there a provenance, i see that no different than what this body shop did unless they lied or stole etc.
I understand what you're saying, and I know that there are a lot of "grey areas" when it comes to used cars. I know that your just bustin my chops, with respect to what I said about our Jag, but in my defense, I will say this. Putting on a new fender, in exchange of a damaged one, isn't quite in the same league as welding two "half cars" together, and selling it as a "low mileage, one owner" deal.

Quick Reply: Burning Barn Find