Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 07:28 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Life is better with a Corvette

Hello,
Was thinking the other day about the many ways owning a Corvette has enriched my life. I have other cars, but the Vette is special. I have made some very good friends while discussing repairs, and learned plenty about my skill set as a mechanic and fabricator. Strangers will approach when we are getting gas and strike up a conversation about a relative or friend who used to have a Corvette. You know, I never get tired of meeting people who share my passion for the Corvette. Thought I would start a thread about how owning a Corvette has enriched members lives. If you feel somehow that owning a Corvette has not made your life better, maybe you should sell it and buy a Prius.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Otnes (11-19-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:36 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Ditto here too! Life is better with a Corvette!

Ditto here too! Life is better with a Corvette!

My wife actually got me into Corvettes about 11 years ago, it was not my idea. However, nobody believes that, they just say, why aren't you a clever man you made the woman think it was her idea, LOL's!

10 Corvettes bought and sold later, I must say the woman was right (as always, ha!). Met so many great Corvette people, never fail to have a fun conversation with all sorts of Corvette people and fans, had lots of super fun with the Corvettes! Really wish I had gotten one sooner, better late than never!

Last edited by 20mercury; 11-07-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:52 PM
72downunder
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, you certainly become a bit of a celeb in these cars. Lots of people stop and chat. Love em

interesting you mentioned Prius. We were at a cafe, Vette parked outside, a Prius stopped, lady got out went to the front of our Vette and posed while her other half took a photo. Thought it ironically humorous at the time
Old 11-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

[QUOTE=20mercury;1598297919]Ditto here too! Life is better with a Corvette!

My wife actually got me into Corvettes about 11 years ago, it was not my idea.

Interesting. Cant remember exactly what did it for me. Thinking a tv program was probably my first glimpse of a Vette back in the late 70s. We lived in a rural setting at that time and not many people had one. Remember grabbing every magazine I could find with anything Corvette related, and hoping someday I would have my own.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:55 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

It was Route 66 that got me first interested in in Corvettes as a young kid. Then one day I was riding in our family Dodge wagon and a C1 corvette directly in front of us took off from the intersection smoking the tires. That was it, had to have one.

Mike

Last edited by v2racing; 11-09-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 PM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 72downunder
Yeah, you certainly become a bit of a celeb in these cars. Lots of people stop and chat. Love em

interesting you mentioned Prius. We were at a cafe, Vette parked outside, a Prius stopped, lady got out went to the front of our Vette and posed while her other half took a photo. Thought it ironically humorous at the time
I've never been without a Corvette for too long but previously with newer models but always wanted a C3. I got my first aged 50 as I needed a new hobby to stop me from working myself to an early death. I started doing the show circuit and naturally gravitated to other Corvette owners and have now made some great and like-minded new friends and we're in touch almost daily working out meets or work we're doing on our cars. As 72downunder says, being outside the USA with these cars brings a certain celeb status although the general American car scene is massive in the UK and no doubt 'down under' too. Someone on here recently purchased a WB C3 and mentioned that he keeps going in the garage to look at his new baby. That feeling doesn't wear off and I hope it never does

Last edited by brit vet; 11-09-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Mark Otnes (11-19-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 06:49 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I wouldn't really know.....as I bought my first Vette at 15 in 1978- A 1968 small block 4 speed vert painted international blue with a stinger hood scoop- and have always at least one ever since-my 71 I bought as a senior in High school and still own,

A few years earlier in 1976- when the Road and Track magazine showed up in the mailbox-that was it- I'm gonna get a Corvette!!! Busted my butt cutting lawns!!!

Looking back -owning the vette definitely has made life better- as I still have several lifelong buddies from my teens & early twenties that met because we were vette owners...And still making friends today!!!

Old 11-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Auggievf
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold Dragon
Interesting. Cant remember exactly what did it for me. Thinking a tv program was probably my first glimpse of a Vette back in the late 70s. We lived in a rural setting at that time and not many people had one. Remember grabbing every magazine I could find with anything Corvette related, and hoping someday I would have my own.
That was me too. I had stacks and stacks of corvette related magazines as a kid hoping that one day I would own one. About 5 years ago I finally did and though it has been an adventure, I wouldn't sell mine for the world.... well... maybe for the world but I'd just turn around and buy another one ;-)
Old 11-09-2018, 07:03 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,997 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I feel fortunate that my financial situation has allowed me to purchase a Corvette a few years ago, I still get a thrill driving it!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:46 PM
LFOTremolo
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what got me into Corvettes. It's the identical Hot Wheels car I had as a kid. Found it in my Dad's stuff after he passed. Didn't think he was sentimental but he had saved all my Brother's and my Hot Wheels. This was always my favorite and when I was ten years old C3's were the new Corvettes you would see and think, "Man, when I can drive that's the car for me." Took me a few decades but finally... Full disclosure: The Hot Wheel is stamped 1975 on the bottom and I own a '77, but close enough for me...
The following 3 users liked this post by LFOTremolo:
naramlee (11-09-2018), SciVette (11-19-2018), shaark92 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:56 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Had that same one as a kid..neighbor bought a new one each year, hard not to notice. Back then vettes and musclecars sat on every street it seemed and got used like they should be.
Cant fathom owning one today and going out of your way to NOT drive it. Youd think some were uninsured...back on topic.
Metalhead140 (11-20-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 01:02 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

While i believe i grasp the point you are getting at i am one who has always had a corvette or 2 since about 17, 54 now.

Not just corvettes, I have many hobbies i enjoy but i honestly have no clue if any of them make my life "better"
To grind on it almost makes me feel like an elistist taco.
Cocking a snook at the guy whose life must be worse because he doesnt own a vette.

Hard to gauge i dont know life without a vette,

Old 11-10-2018, 10:20 AM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Agree on Corvettes making life better. Bought my first one(94 C-4) at 59. Had it for 6 years and enjoyed it but was only driving it about 500 miles a year so I sold it. figured i was done with 'Vettes. THEN the itch returned and bought a 77C-3 last year. Makes me smile thinking about it. ALWAYS get looks and comments when out and about in it. Named it the White Rabbit. Love driving down the beach road on the outer Banks with the t-tops off. So does the bride.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:09 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I can't tell you how many Corvette matchbox cars and models I have, as all my life as a kid when someone asked me what i wanted for my birthday or Christmas, I always said a Corvette. I've now owned mine for 13 years and hope to never be without one. I too have met plenty of Corvette people.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:06 AM
SciVette
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Loved C3s as a kid- had posters, books, and at age 9 (would have been 1980) this belt buckle. My mom kept it and gave it back to me about 10 years ago... Bought my 1980 about 6 years ago. When people make cracks about a midlife crises, I say only if midlife starts prepuberty!

Old 11-18-2018, 07:03 AM
jgilevettes
Burning Brakes

Received 795 Likes on 387 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I was pretty well born into it as my father bought a '70 LS5 convertible off the showroom floor when I was 5 years old. Believe I was able to afford my own vette at age 23 and have pretty well not been without one since. Now have a C7 and was fortunate enough to track down the very C3 '70 LS5 that my father is the first owner of and it now sits in the garage along with the C7. Have a great time visiting with people over the years as I agree it is uncanny how many people at a service station either had, or know of someone close to them that had the very thing you are driving.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:06 PM
shaark92
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LFOTremolo
Hot Wheels car I had as a kid. Found it in my Dad's stuff after he passed. Didn't think he was sentimental but he had saved all my Brother's and my Hot Wheels...
OUTSTANDING! Way to go, Pops!

My father passed a little over 2 years ago. Mom mentioned our Hot Wheels collections! We each had a few Vettes...

Enhanced life? I'd have to say so ... it's corresponded with a bit of a resurgence for UT Football ... and we bleed Burnt Orange. So our Ontario Orange '71 is PERFECT. New empty nesters ... we've had more dates in the last 2 months than we have in the previous 20 years! LOL

ALWAYS get complimented on our ride. Some occasions more than others ... but NEVER go unnoticed. (as 13Bats said ... notoriety isn't the reason we have it)

after Thanksgiving ... a new rag joint in the steering. It's become a bit sloppy. But I digress.

Get notified of new replies

To Life is better with a Corvette

Old 11-19-2018, 08:30 PM
Herbie53
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cool evening, back glass out, playing high compression small block Muncie music through a chambered exhaust.

There are a few things I have done that are that good, but only a few.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:38 PM
Mark Otnes
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

Agreed. A very special car that appeals to a HUGE range of people. I love your subject heading, too. That would be a good t-shirt slogan.
Mark
Old 11-19-2018, 09:41 PM
Mark Otnes
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

I do that too. The "going in the garage to look at" my Stingray. Just looking at it boosts endorphins or something!
Mark

Quick Reply: Life is better with a Corvette