Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:22 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 464 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21-'22
Default Bells and Whistles

So, I've realized that my "new" C3 is in need of a little attention. That's okay, I love it and I will attend to each of her needs as time goes on. She is original, so I expected that some 46 year old items would need updating. I took my first "real ride" today. Wow, I feel like I'm literally driving around hanging onto a motor. Talk about "driver feedback". BMW's got nothing on C3s.
Other than mechanical maintenance, I've noticed a few electrical items that I need to chase down. The operation of the courtesy light switches was something that was obviously not right. DUB was kind enough to let me know how they should work, how to address them, and that the right side door does not trigger the ignition buzzer. (My ignition buzzer sounds even without the key in, but I'll have to dig into that to fix it.)
I guess what I would like to know is, what lights, warning buzzers, chimes, etc. should I be looking for? I know there is a fasten seat belt light on the dash, but is there a chime or buzzer? Is there a door ajar buzzer or chime? The owner's manual points to certain things, but not every detail is covered. I just learned that there is a spare tire light (still need to check if that one works).
I would like to get everything working as it should, I'm just too much of a newbie to know what to look for.
Thanks in advance. You guys have been awesome.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:00 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Ah, so that's what it should look like after I'm done!

Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Three items to add to your library that would help answer you questions:
1) owner’s manual for your year’s car. Repros are available at a reasonable price
2) AIM (Assembly Information Manual) - what GM used on the line as the car was assembled - many vendors have them
3) electrical diagram for your year car- fancy colored and plain ones are available from vendors and a free on from Forum Member “Papawanna”
Fran (who has all 3 for his 73)
The following users liked this post:
fastimes (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 08:07 AM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by fastimes
So, I've realized that my "new" C3 is in need of a little attention. That's okay, I love it and I will attend to each of her needs as time goes on. She is original, so I expected that some 46 year old items would need updating. I took my first "real ride" today. Wow, I feel like I'm literally driving around hanging onto a motor. Talk about "driver feedback". BMW's got nothing on C3s.
Other than mechanical maintenance, I've noticed a few electrical items that I need to chase down. The operation of the courtesy light switches was something that was obviously not right. DUB was kind enough to let me know how they should work, how to address them, and that the right side door does not trigger the ignition buzzer. (My ignition buzzer sounds even without the key in, but I'll have to dig into that to fix it.)
I guess what I would like to know is, what lights, warning buzzers, chimes, etc. should I be looking for? I know there is a fasten seat belt light on the dash, but is there a chime or buzzer? Is there a door ajar buzzer or chime? The owner's manual points to certain things, but not every detail is covered. I just learned that there is a spare tire light (still need to check if that one works).
I would like to get everything working as it should, I'm just too much of a newbie to know what to look for.
Thanks in advance. You guys have been awesome.

There is no door ajar buzzer on my '72, just a light, the seatbelt buzzer is located under the center console on the top right side; you may be able to get to (where it should be) it by removing the access pad on the forward right side of the console. I wonder, if you wiggle the key cylinder with the door open will that buzzer act like it might stop? This piece, installed down inside the steering column (on a tilt/telescoping type), is what is responsible for activating the buzzer when the key is inserted. Yours could have been bent or something.

The following users liked this post:
fastimes (11-14-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Bells and Whistles

Quick Reply: Bells and Whistles