Need help pricing 1972 corvette - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help pricing 1972 corvette

Old 11-18-2018, 01:34 PM
  #1  
Cool change
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default Need help pricing 1972 corvette

Hi all, I need some help on pricing a 1972 Corvette I am interested in buying .. The owner does not want to give me a price, he wants me to give him a fair offer… It is a 1972 C3 350/200hp with P/S, P/B , AC, Tilt, T tops and has a 4 speed .. Body is straight, birdcage is clean, original interior is in fair to good condition, paint is decent, has some imperfections but overall not bad… Vehicle is probably 75% original however it does not have the numbers matching motor , It has a stock Chevy 350… Car has not been driven in about five years and will need a full tuneup, tires, brakes etc.… I am not looking for a show car just a good driver !! I don’t want to insult him but I really don’t know what it is worth , although I have a rough idea .. Overall condition I would give it a 6 1/2 Any help would be appreciated… Fire away

Last edited by Cool change; 11-18-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Cool change is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 02:13 PM
  #2  
20mercury
CF Senior Member
 
20mercury's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Lafayette Louisiana
Posts: 2,327
Thanked 170 Times in 157 Posts
Default Imho,....

Originally Posted by Cool change View Post
Hi all, I need some help on pricing a 1972 Corvette I am interested in buying .. The owner does not want to give me a price, he wants me to give him a fair offer… It is a 1972 C3 350/200hp with P/S, P/B , AC, Tilt, T tops and has a 4 speed .. Body is straight, birdcage is clean, original interior is in fair to good condition, paint is decent, has some imperfections but overall not bad… Vehicle is probably 75% original however it does not have the numbers matching motor , It has a stock Chevy 350… Car has not been driven in about five years and will need a full tuneup, tires, brakes etc.… I am not looking for a show car just a good driver !! I don’t want to insult him but I really don’t know what it is worth… Any help would be appreciated… Fire away

IMHO,

I would try to treat the seller the way I would want to be treated as a seller. I would check ebay completed auctions for 72 Corvettes, advanced search, sold items, and numbers in green. Not perfect info but very good info. Try to find 3 or 4 examples that are similar to this one to get a sense of range of going prices. Like it or not, NOM engine knocks off maybe 25%. Also, you can take the price of a 72 Corvette in great shape with NOM engine, subtract what you would have to buy; new tires, tune up, interior and say subtract half of that cost (nobody gets full value back from improvements) and see what price this one would have to be to get in the ball park of a 72 Corvette in great shape. In real estate, you get ready to sell your house, so an appraiser or somebody gets comparables, adds or subtracts larger square footage, lot size, etc, components to get the comparables closer in similar comparison to your house. Then they show you the results and offer evidence that while you want $1M for your house, other similar houses are actually selling for $150K and that is the reality of the market. Same principal here, show the seller all of your homework and see what he says. Most people understand facts and logic, if they listen. If he wants 60K because XXX got that for a show car on TV, then walk. For a NOM coupe like you describe, my WAG is 15, or 16. Hope this helps and good luck, BTW, look carefully for killer rust which it sounds like you have done a lot already.

Last edited by 20mercury; 11-18-2018 at 02:50 PM.
20mercury is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 02:21 PM
  #3  
hope2
CF Senior Member
 
hope2's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 2,338
Thanked 121 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Whatever you say won't be enough, keep that in mind.
hope2 is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 02:36 PM
  #4  
Easy Mike
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Easy Mike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2000
Location: Southbound
Posts: 36,314
Thanks: 0
Thanked 829 Times in 764 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default

Originally Posted by Cool change View Post
...The owner does not want to give me a price, he wants me to give him a fair offer…
Pass on this one.

Easy Mike is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 02:48 PM
  #5  
The13Bats
CF Senior Member
 
The13Bats's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Location: Eustis ( Area 51 Bat Cave ) Fl
Posts: 11,553
Thanked 709 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hope2 View Post
Whatever you say won't be enough, keep that in mind.
Originally Posted by Easy Mike View Post
Pass on this one.


The guys fishing, when i hit ads and ask how much if the cat replies asking what i offer i reply only you know how much your xxxx us worth you tell me,
But most times i see these guys who want me to name a price as cheesedicks they hope some idiot will offer them too much which many fools do,
If they really were a serious seller they would name a price,
Tell him to post it on ebay, thats a great wake up call on what the world will pay...
The13Bats is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 03:05 PM
  #6  
62corvette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: Muskego WI
Posts: 3,074
Thanks: 0
Thanked 137 Times in 119 Posts
Default

If you can buy it around $7-8k I think that would be fair. You want to be fair to yourself and to him. That is a delicate balance. Don’t be insensitive to him, and don’t worry about insulting him, because he could choose to be insulted by whatever you offer.
62corvette is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 03:09 PM
  #7  
derekderek
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: Westville NJ
Posts: 3,835
Thanked 482 Times in 450 Posts
Default

I was thinking 10k.
derekderek is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 03:13 PM
  #8  
general ike
CF Senior Member
 
general ike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 775
Thanked 75 Times in 67 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
Default

Yeah I agree, most likely not realistic. Is he advertising it? Did you find it and are trying to get him to sell, if that's the case I see his point? As far as value you have a great amount of unknown variables. First doe it start and run? If it doesn't its value takes a tremendous cut. How bad is the paint? Does it need to be repainted, a very, very big expense. NOM motor a 25% reduction minimum especially since they didn't put in a upgrade. Are you capable of doing most of the work yourself? Otherwise you are going to have a lot of money into it.

As stated in these forums over and over again and I cannot stress it enough. Buy the best car you can afford, don't buy a car, even if its cheap, that you will need to rebuild, especially if your not doing it yourserlf.!!!

Hate to say it but I would low ball it no matter what to force him to give you a number and negotiate from there. Not the normal way I like to do business but since he won't give you a number?!???
Ike.
general ike is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 03:32 PM
  #9  
Cool change
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cool change View Post
Hi all, I need some help on pricing a 1972 Corvette I am interested in buying .. The owner does not want to give me a price, he wants me to give him a fair offer… It is a 1972 C3 350/200hp with P/S, P/B , AC, Tilt, T tops and has a 4 speed .. Body is straight, birdcage is clean, original interior is in fair to good condition, paint is decent, has some imperfections but overall not bad… Vehicle is probably 75% original however it does not have the numbers matching motor , It has a stock Chevy 350… Car has not been driven in about five years and will need a full tuneup, tires, brakes etc.… I am not looking for a show car just a good driver !! I don’t want to insult him but I really don’t know what it is worth , although I have a rough idea .. Overall condition I would give it a 6 1/2 Any help would be appreciated… Fire away
Originally Posted by 20mercury View Post
IMHO,

I would try to treat the seller the way I would want to be treated as a seller. I would check ebay completed auctions for 72 Corvettes, advanced search, sold items, and numbers in green. Not perfect info but very good info. Try to find 3 or 4 examples that are similar to this one to get a sense of range of going prices. Like it or not, NOM engine knocks off maybe 25%. Also, you can take the price of a 72 Corvette in great shape with NOM engine, subtract what you would have to buy; new tires, tune up, interior and say subtract half of that cost (nobody gets full value back from improvements) and see what price this one would have to be to get in the ball park of a 72 Corvette in great shape. In real estate, you get ready to sell your house, so an appraiser or somebody gets comparables, adds or subtracts larger square footage, lot size, etc, components to get the comparables closer in similar comparison to your house. Then they show you the results and offer evidence that while you want $1M for your house, other similar houses are actually selling for $150K and that is the reality of the market. Same principal here, show the seller all of your homework and see what he says. Most people understand facts and logic, if they listen. If he wants 60K because XXX got that for a show car on TV, then walk. For a NOM coupe like you describe, my WAG is 15, or 16. Hope this helps and good luck, BTW, look carefully for killer rust which it sounds like you have done a lot already.
thank u For your input … When you say minus 25% for a nom , Would that be off that realistic price of what it’s worth
Cool change is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 03:33 PM
  #10  
cor66vette
CF Senior Member
 
cor66vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2001
Location: Any farther east I'd be in Florida's Atlantic
Posts: 4,380
Thanked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Easy Mike View Post
Pass on this one.
That's the best advice you'll get. Good luck.
cor66vette is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 03:44 PM
  #11  
blue67ragtop
CF Senior Member
 
blue67ragtop's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2012
Posts: 977
Thanked 104 Times in 98 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
Default

Too many cars out there to screw around with a guy like this. Tell him when he figures out what he wants to give you a call. For now take a pass. Also tell him you are looking at a few others. If he is serious about selling he will come up with a price. From your description and without photos, I would guess $10-12K.
blue67ragtop is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 03:47 PM
  #12  
Zoomin
Zoopreme ******
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Zoomin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Land of Thunder
Posts: 26,774
Thanked 110 Times in 91 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19
Default

Originally Posted by Cool change View Post



thank u For your input … When you say minus 25% for a nom , Would that be off that realistic price of what it’s worth
it would be 25% off a realistic price of a car with original engine. If you can get the car around the 10 to 12 range you aren't going to get hurt too bad.
Zoomin is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 04:49 PM
  #13  
Jebbysan
CF Senior Member
 
Jebbysan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Location: New Braunfels Texas
Posts: 2,544
Thanked 251 Times in 226 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop View Post
Too many cars out there to screw around with a guy like this. Tell him when he figures out what he wants to give you a call. For now take a pass. Also tell him you are looking at a few others. If he is serious about selling he will come up with a price. From your description and without photos, I would guess $10-12K.


You could easily have 3-4k in this car before you even drive it........10k is a "fair" offer.

Jebby
Jebbysan is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 05:22 PM
  #14  
The13Bats
CF Senior Member
 
The13Bats's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Location: Eustis ( Area 51 Bat Cave ) Fl
Posts: 11,553
Thanked 709 Times in 612 Posts
Default

don't buy a car, even if its cheap, that you will need to rebuild,


unless of course you are a true gearhead who enjoys building and driving cars.


I would bet a big gulp if you lowball a person who is fishing for offers 99.9% of the time they will get pissed and not give you much if any more attention, most will just cuss you out.
I will bet a second big gulp 99.9% if fishers believe what ever they are selling is worth many times the realistic going rate.
The13Bats is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 06:22 PM
  #15  
Syl1953
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Orlando
Posts: 413
Thanked 59 Times in 57 Posts
Default

You pay $10,000, put $5,000 in it to get it right with no $ for your labor. You then will have a car you could get $12,000 for. If he is not a friend don't be afraid to hurt his feelings. Mark
Syl1953 is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 06:30 PM
  #16  
The13Bats
CF Senior Member
 
The13Bats's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Location: Eustis ( Area 51 Bat Cave ) Fl
Posts: 11,553
Thanked 709 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Syl1953 View Post
You pay $10,000, put $5,000 in it to get it right with no $ for your labor. You then will have a car you could get $12,000 for. If he is not a friend don't be afraid to hurt his feelings. Mark
Really?! Post a link to a comparable 12k "right" as you call it car
The13Bats is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 08:31 PM
  #17  
Cool change
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hope2 View Post
Whatever you say won't be enough, keep that in mind.
thank u 👍
Cool change is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 08:34 PM
  #18  
Cool change
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hope2 View Post
Whatever you say won't be enough, keep that in mind.
Originally Posted by The13Bats View Post


The guys fishing, when i hit ads and ask how much if the cat replies asking what i offer i reply only you know how much your xxxx us worth you tell me,
But most times i see these guys who want me to name a price as cheesedicks they hope some idiot will offer them too much which many fools do,
If they really were a serious seller they would name a price,
Tell him to post it on ebay, thats a great wake up call on what the world will pay...
that’s make sense thank u
Cool change is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 08:36 PM
  #19  
Cool change
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 62corvette View Post
If you can buy it around $7-8k I think that would be fair. You want to be fair to yourself and to him. That is a delicate balance. Don’t be insensitive to him, and don’t worry about insulting him, because he could choose to be insulted by whatever you offer.
I am just a little confused because I see a lot of the same cars asking for 20 to 22K
Cool change is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Cool change For This Useful Post:
Bills72n84 (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 08:54 PM
  #20  
The13Bats
CF Senior Member
 
The13Bats's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Location: Eustis ( Area 51 Bat Cave ) Fl
Posts: 11,553
Thanked 709 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cool change View Post

I am just a little confused because I see a lot of the same cars asking for 20 to 22K
Asking isnt getting, 25k will buy a nice driver 68 to 72 base coupe,
The car you described gives limited info and no pictures,
Assuming it doesnt have bad rust issues about 5 to 8 is fair for a base coupe needing restoration and it does need restoration,
Im not saying sometimes such a car is made to run and drive only fixing what it takes but to be up to par it needs to be restored,

Last edited by The13Bats; 11-18-2018 at 08:56 PM.
The13Bats is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: