C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Book(s) you recommend for C3 repair/restoration/reference?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 09:39 PM
brassplyer
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Book(s) you recommend for C3 repair/restoration/reference?

I looked at How to Restore Your C3 Corvette: 1968-1982 by Walt Thurn but I see various reviewers say it's not comprehensive enough. Is there a "you need this book" for C3 owners? Do you have an opinion on the Thurn book?
Old 11-22-2018, 10:17 PM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I’ve enjoyed The Corvette Restoration Guide (1968-1982) by Richard Prince, Corvette Performance Projects (1968-1982) by Tom Benford, Chevrolet Corvette Restoration Guide by Lindsay Porter and a few related such as Muncie 4-Speed Transmissions (How to Rebuild and Modify) by Paul Cangialosi, and some Chevy Small Block / Holley Carburetor rebuilding books by David Vizzard. Additionally, Lars Grimsrud has some great free articles out there - http://www.corvette-restoration.com/how-to-articles/ is a good resource. Jim Shea also has some invaluable reading at http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/

Also, the Assembly Manual and Chassis Service Manual are a must.

Enjoy!

Last edited by A8skyhawk; 11-22-2018 at 10:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
brassplyer (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 08:55 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by brassplyer
...I looked at How to Restore Your C3 Corvette: 1968-1982 by Walt Thurn but I see various reviewers say it's not comprehensive enough...
I agree with them. It's a bit slick and glossy.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:12 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
I agree with them. It's a bit slick and glossy.
I bought that ages ago as it says "everything you need to know about restoring corvettes " or similar , great I thought, a step by step on rust repair , I get to the part about rusty bird cages and it says "rust is bad , take it to a professional to get it fixed " or close enough to that .
Also the part where he says the convertible frames had an extra body mount was interesting .

The chassis service manual for the year vette and the AIM is probably the best 2 SPECIFIC books to think about .
Then the "how to build a chevy motor " or "how to paint your corvette " books can be useful.

I think A8 Skyhawk's post covers the good stuff .

Lets all not forget Dub and Willcox on here that help everyone

Last edited by bazza77; 11-23-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:53 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Get a NCRS TIMJG for reference.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:41 PM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bazza77
I bought that ages ago as it says "everything you need to know about restoring corvettes " or similar , great I thought, a step by step on rust repair , I get to the part about rusty bird cages and it says "rust is bad , take it to a professional to get it fixed " or close enough to that .
Also the part where he says the convertible frames had an extra body mount was interesting .

The chassis service manual for the year vette and the AIM is probably the best 2 SPECIFIC books to think about .
Then the "how to build a chevy motor " or "how to paint your corvette " books can be useful.

I think A8 Skyhawk's post covers the good stuff .

Lets all not forget Dub and Willcox on here that help everyone

I think I remember DUB was making a book - I look forward to picking that one up one day as well. I’ll second that Willcox has a great how-to section as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Book(s) you recommend for C3 repair/restoration/reference?

Quick Reply: Book(s) you recommend for C3 repair/restoration/reference?