Sponsored by:

Techoca’s Winter Project is On!

Old 12-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19
Default Techoca’s Winter Project is On!

1974 Coupe:
Began my planned winter project today. I have been collecting a stack of parts in anticipation of two weeks off from work at Christmas. I received email confirmation yesterday that my tubular upper and lower control arms from Performance Online have shipped so with that information and knowing it’s going to be a rainy weekend I decided today was the day to begin. First task is replacing all brake lines, distribution valve, fittings and hardware with new steel lines and rubber hoses that I purchased from Willcox. Second task will be to rebuild the front suspension. I will install the previously mentioned tubular control arms, 550lb springs, idler arm, tie rod ends, sway bar mounting bushings, adjustable end links, p/s cylinder end mounting bushings, and offset upper control arm shafts. Steering box, p/s cylinder, control valve and hoses all in good shape having been recently replaced by PO.
Third task will be to rebuild the trailing arms, install new rear spring cushions, heavy duty differential cover, differential cross member support kit, heim jointed strut rods, shock mounts, and factory style 3/4” sway bar. [The third phase has been updated as plans have evolved (January 2019)]
Not too much to look at now but a pile of junk parts that have been disassembled and the new stuff piled up.
Eddy

Last edited by Techoca; 02-04-2019 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 12-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Richard454
CF Senior Member

Nice pile of parts Eddy!!!

HA- rainy it will be!!! Maybe icy too!!!

If you are in the need of a rebuilt steering box- let me know, Have one rebuild by Van Steel and let you have it for what I paid to have it rebuilt- not going to use it.

Plus- the rear heim joints- I just got a set- from a company that specialize in stuff for late model racing- and put together some steel powdercoated greaseable tubes- moly ends- and staggered size ends- so no misalighnment spacers needed- just cone spacers for about $150 pair.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:51 PM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by Richard454 View Post
Nice pile of parts Eddy!!!

HA- rainy it will be!!! Maybe icy too!!!

If you are in the need of a rebuilt steering box- let me know, Have one rebuild by Van Steel and let you have it for what I paid to have it rebuilt- not going to use it.

Plus- the rear heim joints- I just got a set- from a company that specialize in stuff for late model racing- and put together some steel powdercoated greaseable tubes- moly ends- and staggered size ends- so no misalighnment spacers needed- just cone spacers for about $150 pair.

Richard, I will keep the box in mind for sure. I will check my box when I get everything disassembled. I am very interested in the strut rods.
Thanks
Eddy
Old 12-09-2018, 10:48 AM
Rescue Rogers
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

If you dont want the box, I'm interested, mines leaking around the top
Old 12-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers View Post
If you dont want the box, I'm interested, mines leaking around the top
I have let Richard know that I am declining the offer on the box and that you want it. Please go ahead and contact him.
Eddy
Old 12-09-2018, 09:06 PM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19
Default Today’s progress

Got back on the brake line replacement job today. I have completed the rear section forward to the distribution block. All steel lines, brass fittings, rubber hoses, and associated clips and hardware installed. The steel line from the distribution block to the left rear brass junction is not too bad of a problem to run through the cross member(4 speed cross member) and over the frame, but getting the brass block positioned into it’s frame tab is NO fun. I installed the brass block onto the steel line before fishing it over the frame member and behind the battery box. I thought that would be easier than trying to thread the line into the block in that tiny space that you’re lucky to get a couple of fingers into. I reinstalled the rear wheels and dropped them back down onto the quicklift. I hope to start on the front later this week.
Eddy

Rear cross over line

Right side

Left side
Old 12-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

In reference to the brake line project, the line from the distribution block to the left rear brass junction was rotting at the fitting where the line connects to the distribution block. The distribution block was weeping brake fluid from the hole shown in the following photo and running down to the rear line causing corrosion of the line. You can see that the line twisted in half when I attempted to remove the line from the D Block (that’s exactly what I expected to happen). Old leaking piece of D Block shown with new replacement D Block, broken fitting still in part.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 AM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19
Default Shout Outs

Shout out to EdT for his help in the brake line project.
Thanks Ed
It is my hope that some time in the future this brake issue detail will help someone with a similar problem. Helping others with their issues and sharing information learned is the essence of this forum in my experience, as is becoming aquatinted with fine folks like Ed T, Richard454 and many others, who generously share their experience and knowledge.

Shout out to Willcox Corvette for the meticulously detailed brake line kit. Thanks for all you do here to help guys like me.
Eddy

Last edited by Techoca; 12-10-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:19 AM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

Yesterday I finished the complete brake line job started last weekend. All steel lines, distribution block, brass junctions, rubber hoses, and hardware have been replaced. I will add that the front cross over line replacement was made easier by having the upper control arms removed, in addition, I unbolted the Z bar and was able to place the line under it with no problem.
In the tear down of the front suspension I found the right front caliper to be leaking slightly so I disassembled the caliper and found it to be sleeved, thankfully. I will rebuild both front calipers and then check the rotors for run out upon reassembly.
I have painted the lower control arm shafts and the lower control arms are ready for assembly. I painted the new offset upper shafts and they are ready for assembly upon arrival. Frame cleaning and painting is next...
Eddy

**Later in the project evolution, I chose to replace the front brake calipers with Wilwood D8-4 calipers.**

Last edited by Techoca; 02-04-2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 12-16-2018, 08:46 AM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

Lowers ready for assembly.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:30 PM
doorgunner
Doorgunner's '68 Project
Support Corvetteforum!

I just spotted your thread. You're getting a lot done!
The Following User Says Thank You to doorgunner For This Useful Post:
Techoca (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:36 PM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
I just spotted your thread. You're getting a lot done!
Thank you sir. I am having a lot of fun and looking forward to be able to have it back on the road. I will be off for two weeks at Christmas and hope to complete the project. Thanks for stopping by.
Merry Christmas
Eddy

Last edited by Techoca; 12-17-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:37 PM
rossiter76vette
CF Member

Techoca, sounds like you're making really good progress! Make me embarrassed that I'm not speeding right along with my brake project. I'm curious as I'm working on my '76 and am having a hard time figuring out how to get the hard line which runs the length of the drivers side both removed and installed. Any tips or tricks?!
Old 12-20-2018, 10:39 PM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

I removed the front to rear line by cutting it into two sections with diagonal wire cutters, then just pulled the sections out. I cut the line where it makes the turn behind the battery box.
Installing the line is a whole different matter. Since I was replacing all the lines and rubber hoses I decided it would probably be best to install the brass junction block onto the line before threading the line behind the battery box and into that tiny space where the tab that holds the junction block is located. I definitely believe that was a good decision as I could only get two fingers into that small area. I had to pull the line back down from behind the battery box twice to tweak it into the proper angle. When I was able to finagle the brass block into the tab I threaded the left rear rubber line into the block and held it in place while I inserted the clip that holds the brass block into the frame tab. When installing the line I first threaded it from back to front through transmission cross member ( mine is a 4 speed) and then pushed it up and over the rear frame. I will say I spent a while and took a couple of breaks while trying to get the brass block into the tab. Once the line and block were installed into the tab it was no problem to thread the rear cross over line into the brass block.
Before I started the project I had determined in my mind that I would not let myself get too frustrated, it worked out well, and I will admit that I wasn’t looking forward to the project but it really wasn’t that bad. I hope that helps.
Eddy
Old 12-22-2018, 10:54 AM
JoeMinnesota
CF Senior Member

Nice Xmas project, Eddy! It's satisfying when you bolt in a collection of new parts, and tackling the "hard work" on your car. Enjoy your progress, and bet you can't wait to drive it when you're done! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by JoeMinnesota View Post
Nice Xmas project, Eddy! It's satisfying when you bolt in a collection of new parts, and tackling the "hard work" on your car. Enjoy your progress, and bet you can't wait to drive it when you're done! Thanks for sharing.
Its great fun working and restoring our old cars for sure. Yesterday was a messy day of taking the spindle and associated parts down to bare metal then cleaning and primer. Today I am painting all the same parts and getting them ready for reassembly. Great day!
Merry Christmas sir,
Eddy
Old 12-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Vette5311
CF Senior Member

Default Looking good

great to have a couple weeks off to get some work done.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19
Default Time off

Originally Posted by Vette5311 View Post
great to have a couple weeks off to get some work done.
Hi Jon,
I am having a blast hanging out in the garage. Just waiting on paint to dry right now.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:12 PM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

Literally watching paint dry...

Old 12-22-2018, 01:14 PM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

Once all these parts dry then I can move on to frame cleaning and painting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Techoca’s Winter Project is On!

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: