Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fantom Works

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:21 PM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

And they do have a sense of humor; I got a kick out of this (from their website):

Please note: We have a large Alpha female German Shepard, Heidi, that guards the grounds here at FantomWorks. She is great at her job and a third of the time she gets along with other dogs, a third of the time there are fights and occasionally visiting pets disappear. So, we love pets but please do not bring your pet to the tour as we cannot guarantee that Heidi will get along with them.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:02 PM
zigvs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love graveyard cars ,hate the host.thinks much of himself,but then again its a show
Old 01-04-2019, 10:21 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by zigvs
Love graveyard cars ,hate the host.thinks much of himself,but then again its a show
That's not hard but Mark Worman owns his own show. He is also the CEO of the production company.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:47 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I do watch Fantomworks and generally think they do good honest work. They did a 76 I believe it was, in an older episode and the first thing the owner was told was that the car was not worth the money to restore it. So, that was the honest part, basically telling the owner he was crazy. They did a full restoration on the car, and what caught my attention when it was done was the bumperettes were not painted black, but left the same color red that the car was painted. To me, that leads to other questions as to what else wasn't done.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:35 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

I think it is a good show and always watch it. But some times it gets a little dramatic. Like they were putting a 427 into a chevelle and they said they didn't know if it would fit. Little things like that. Otherwise a good show and Dan seems to be an honest man. If I had to have work done I think I would check them out.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:58 AM
PHIL 68
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I really like both shows because they get into a lot more description than some other shows my issue with graveyard cars is in my opinion he wastes at least half of the show with his goofy antics. But as already mentioned it's his show Phil
Old 01-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

That 76 Vette that Fantomworks restored was a mess. Rotted frame, birdcage was probably a mess too. But they brought it back to life. Maybe the owner wanted the bumperettes in red. Either way, bumperette color? Seriously?!

Anyway, after 24 years served in the Army Special Forces, Dan can wear whatever damn color tee shirt that he damn well pleases. :-)
The following users liked this post:
VCuomo (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 12:36 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Watched a current episode last night where a (strange) guy came in with a junky ****-smelly donor ‘67 and basically asked for a full blown, race level, bucks up restomod. Was warned the price would blow by “6 figures in Parts alone” and never blinked.

By the end of the show, the shop had fabricated the body extensively to make it work, added chassis and engine and painted it a god-awful purple. But then the customer bailed and wanted the car back unfinished so he and his buddies could finish it.

Dan was unhappy but did what the customer wanted. I’m impressed he didn’t throw a fit, what a nauseating development.

I cannot imagine dealing with some of these people.
Saw that one - the customer seemed a little "off" right from the start..
Old 01-05-2019, 02:02 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
I do watch Fantomworks and generally think they do good honest work. They did a 76 I believe it was, in an older episode and the first thing the owner was told was that the car was not worth the money to restore it. So, that was the honest part, basically telling the owner he was crazy. They did a full restoration on the car, and what caught my attention when it was done was the bumperettes were not painted black, but left the same color red that the car was painted. To me, that leads to other questions as to what else wasn't done.
IMO that detail isn’t an indicator of work “not done.” They went to crazy lengths to repair parts that never should have been salvaged on that car, but the owner insisted because it was his Dad’s car. I think if details like the bumperettes were remotely important to the buyer, it would have been done. Fantomworks doesn’t really get too caught up in Top Flight type details unless the owner asks for them, which is fine. The customer has to get on the same page as his restorer.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:07 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I've done a little television myself and my daughter was on one of the modeling shows. The production people want the stuff we see as goofy as well as the drama, actually, especially the drama. They think it makes the show interesting. As a viewer, that stuff makes it irritating to me.

Mike
Old 01-05-2019, 05:07 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by zigvs
Love the craftsmanship of the workers. Impressive what they can bring back. I sometimes turn off the sound or fast forward when the host goes into one of this routines. Not remotely funny, just annoying.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:07 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

This is just reality-ish TV and I don't take it particularly seriously. BUT ....

Just watched the most recent episode where they do a Bricklin. My neighbor had one - at the time it was less than ten years old. Always thought it was kind of cool looking despite being lime green. Like the designer wanted a C3 'vette and a DeLorean and this is what he came up with.

Problem here isn't with FW it's with the owner of the car. A big goddamned wing with missiles on it ?!!?!!? Ooooooh .... it hurts .... it hurts ......
Old 01-08-2019, 02:44 PM
DB Cooper
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

I saw the episode where they were developing the 63 style split window convertible hardtop. And on a later episode Dan had one being fitted for his vette. By then there was a rack with a half dozen of those tops hanging in the shop. I bet those are a tempting mod!

I love how just about every shot in a FW episode has at least one vette in the background.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:02 PM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonio
That 76 Vette that Fantomworks restored was a mess. Rotted frame, birdcage was probably a mess too. But they brought it back to life. Maybe the owner wanted the bumperettes in red. Either way, bumperette color? Seriously?!

Anyway, after 24 years served in the Army Special Forces, Dan can wear whatever damn color tee shirt that he damn well pleases. :-)
100% agree!!!
Old 01-08-2019, 03:09 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by pigfarmer
This is just reality-ish TV and I don't take it particularly seriously. BUT ....

Just watched the most recent episode where they do a Bricklin. My neighbor had one - at the time it was less than ten years old. Always thought it was kind of cool looking despite being lime green. Like the designer wanted a C3 'vette and a DeLorean and this is what he came up with.

Problem here isn't with FW it's with the owner of the car. A big goddamned wing with missiles on it ?!!?!!? Ooooooh .... it hurts .... it hurts ......
Remember the old episode with... what was it... a kit car Cobra? That he wanted fake machine guns on it?

The owners are often the problem.

PS, DeLorean borrowed the whole gull wing idea from Bricklin, not vice-versa.
The following users liked this post:
pigfarmer (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:25 PM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Received 354 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by v2racing
I've done a little television myself and my daughter was on one of the modeling shows. The production people want the stuff we see as goofy as well as the drama, actually, especially the drama. They think it makes the show interesting. As a viewer, that stuff makes it irritating to me.

Mike
Agreed. The fabricated drama irritates me in particular. I remember one episode he was working on an early LeMans Blue C3 Corvette; two moments of what seemed like fabricated drama annoyed me. One of his crew had disassembled the gauge console and the boss threw a fit saying that this was not a full blown restoration. Looking at the final product, this clearly was a full blown restoration and removing the gauges was a necessary step to refurbishing the interior.

Same with what seemed like a staged fit during the initial shake down drive with the thumping in the drivetrain.

I’d prefer less drama and more car tech
Old 01-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Pzark
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts

Sad but Dan has stopped filming any more shows this is the last series now so no more fantom works. Will miss a good realistic car show. I rather liked his show so thank you Dan for sharing your business.

Get notified of new replies

To Fantom Works

Old 01-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Pzark
Sad but Dan has stopped filming any more shows this is the last series now so no more fantom works. Will miss a good realistic car show. I rather liked his show so thank you Dan for sharing your business.
If this is the case, it is a sad day for me. I really liked the show. I enjoyed seeing how they overcame issues they ran across. I liked how Dan had a priority on safety and quality. I could never afford to have him restore a car for me, but I loved the show! RIP Fantomworks!!!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Anyone see the 73 Corvette being worked on at Fantom Works, show aired last night?
Bending the hood to fit the contour of the fender?
Creative solution. Wondering if the front clip was off...

Last edited by BBCorv70; 01-10-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:41 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
Anyone see the 73 Corvette being worked on at Fantom Works, show aired last night?
Bending the hood to fit the contour of the fender?
Creative solution. Wondering if the front clip was off...
I thought they did a nice job.

I noticed they said they have 12 Corvettes in there at any one time.

Last edited by Big2Bird; 01-10-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Fantom Works