Sponsored by:

Power Door Locks Don't Work - 1980 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 09:58 PM
ddglanton
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Door Locks Don't Work - 1980 Corvette

I have put new actuators and new door wiring harnesses in both doors and the power door locks don't work. I've check the wiring and I am getting power from the courtesy lamp fuse circuit. I checked the grounds and I'm not getting a ground feed coming into the driver's switch. I looked on line for a wiring diagram and the wiring diagrams (Wilcox) shows a different power door lock switch on RH and LH sides. I could not find different LH and RH door locks on line as they are all the same. In the wiring harness there is no separate ground connection on the RH side switch to the door or body. Can someone shed a little insight or does anyone have an accurate wiring diagram?
Old 12-26-2018, 12:07 AM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

The two switches are identical (they may look different in the diagram but they are the same), unless one is faulty don't replace it as the reproductions are poor quality. If one switch is faulty the the system won't work. It is grounded onto the passenger door from the passenger side switch.

The diagram below is correct for an '80 corvette.

​​​​​​The two switches are identical,
Old 12-27-2018, 04:02 AM
ddglanton
Heel & Toe

Thank you for the response. I finally ran down the problem. Both of my doors were trashed when I bought my 1980 Corvette. So I had to rebuild all the internals to both doors. I rebuilt the LH door first and the harness of the RH door was all screwed up. You have to replace both of these at once to get the the LH door working as it gets its ground through RH door. I got all this done and the LH door lock still didn't work. The door lock actuator on the LH door was brand new. I still hadn't replaced the RH actuator at this time as I was just trying to get the LH lock working. I plugged in my RH door actuator to the LH plug just to see if it would work and it did. SUCCESS! The brand new actuator in my LH door was bad. Chinese junk again. I replaced it and all is good. Also, before I replaced my RH harness, I kept popping the courtesy lamp fuse in the fuse panel. Once I replaced the RH harness with a new one, that was corrected. The courtesy lamp fuse is hot all the time, so when you are working on your doors, disconnect your battery.

Last edited by ddglanton; 12-27-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:43 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Check your door gound. Do your power windows work ok?
Old 12-27-2018, 09:45 PM
ddglanton
Heel & Toe

Yes, Power Windows work now.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:41 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Meant to say power switches not windows. Still a good indication though if you have ground present in the door.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Door Locks Don't Work - 1980 Corvette

Quick Reply: Power Door Locks Don't Work - 1980 Corvette