Single din radio bezel

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:47 PM
titanle
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Single din radio bezel

Hi guys,

I'll be upgrading the audio system in my car soon and I had a question regarding the radio bezel. Are there any big differences between 68 and 69? My car is a 68 and it has the factory metal gauge cluster and I don't want to hack it up. I've been looking online and prices are ranging from $199 to $429! The only options I have come across are either with or without wiper override switch. Are all these bezels the same or are there finish/quality differences? Any input would be great.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2019, 08:53 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

The difference between 68 and 69 is the 69 has the texture whereas the 68 is smooth. I've been eyeing those bezels too but the ones for 68 and 69 are always more expensive. Dunno really why...
Old 01-04-2019, 08:56 PM
titanle
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure if we're allowed to mention websites by name but have you seen the one from corvette pacifica? they got one on sale for $199, website says it fits 68 but looking closely at the photo it does appear to have texture as opposed to smooth. I really don't care about that as my car isn't 68 correct. The only thing I cant tell from the photo is if it has a the over ride button or not.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:02 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

While I can't comment on the specific differences btwn a 68 and 69, I think your're on the right track on ordering an aftermarket one cut for a modern radio, as opposed to hacking the original one. At that price difference, I think I'd just order it, and if it wasn't right, I'd just send it back, even if there was a return fee. And yes, I'd put a single DIN radio in an aftermarket cluster in a heartbeat if it were mine, and I'd make sure I got a wire harness adapter so I didn't cut the factory wiring. This coming from someone who has a single DIN bluetooth receiver in his 79, and loves it.
The following users liked this post:
titanle (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:18 AM
titanle
Burning Brakes

This car will eventually have a proper sound system including head unit, 4 speakers, sub and amp. I will probably wait until summer when I actually start driving it before spending all this money. I sent them an email to confirm, I will most likely end up ordering that one I previously mentioned.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:55 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

I am looking for an original 68 smooth gauge bezel. Do you want to sell yours? I had one and it was stolen from the body shop. Lou.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:16 PM
titanle
Burning Brakes

no I will keep mine.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:17 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 840 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by loup68
I am looking for an original 68 smooth gauge bezel. Do you want to sell yours? I had one and it was stolen from the body shop. Lou.
Check this site out, he may have what you need./ https://socalvettes.com/
loup68 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:18 PM
titanle
Burning Brakes

The bezels without override switch, does that simply mean that it doesn't come with the switch itself or is there no place for the switch? My stock bezel has the override switch with the red light above it and I wanted to know if it can be transferred to the new bezel or if I have to buy one that already has the override switch.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:26 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

What you're looking at in the bezel is not a switch. It's simply a tell tale (red piece of plastic) with a light behind it which illuminates if the wiper over ride is on. Early cars did not have this tell tale.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 01-17-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:44 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

Don't take yours apart until you get the new bezel. I took mine off and wired up a killer 1 din stereo thinking it would be a week or so. I have been waiting for 6 weeks for delivery from one of our well known Corvette parts suppliers. Communication is very poor and I can not get any information as to an estimated delivery date yet. This close to canceling the order ||.

Driving me crazy to not be able to drive my car.

Redvette2

All ready to go.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:16 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Originally Posted by titanle
The bezels without override switch, does that simply mean that it doesn't come with the switch itself or is there no place for the switch? My stock bezel has the override switch with the red light above it and I wanted to know if it can be transferred to the new bezel or if I have to buy one that already has the override switch.
Two lens holes present or not on the right is the difference....existing lens sits in the opening so buy the bezel that you need. Also my 1968 original is the smooth version.

Redvette2

Last edited by Redvette2; 01-17-2019 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Update...
Old 01-17-2019, 02:42 PM
titanle
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info guys! I just placed my order, I will wait until it arrives before taking anything apart. The one I bought has the textured finish but it was much cheaper than the 68 smooth finish. Doesn't really make a difference to me if its 68 correct as my car is far from stock.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:28 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Thanks for the info guys! I just placed my order, I will wait until it arrives before taking anything apart. The one I bought has the textured finish but it was much cheaper than the 68 smooth finish. Doesn't really make a difference to me if its 68 correct as my car is far from stock.
If you would not mind...would you please let me know when you get yours. Thanks.

Redvette2
Old 01-17-2019, 04:29 PM
titanle
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Redvette2
If you would not mind...would you please let me know when you get yours. Thanks.

Redvette2
no problem. Who did you buy from?
Old 01-17-2019, 04:58 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

To clarify things, on the upper left side of the bezel is a red seat belt warning light with a switch below it to turn it off. On later 68's there is a red light in the upper right hand side that say's O'ride to
let you know that the round wiper override switch is on. There is no switch for this in the bezel. The switch is the round **** under the steering column.
The early 68 bezel had a blank metal spot where they added the O'ride red lens later on. I think that this spot was originally meant to house the tell tail lens for the low fuel warning lens.
This feature is mentioned in the early 68 sales brochure only. They issued a revised 68 brochure with this feature missing. I actually have a lens from GM when they were available.
Of course, this feature was never put into any production 68 Corvettes. They then must have used this spot for the O'ride lens because if you leave the override switch on, on a 68, you will have a dead battery.
I hope this helps. Lou.
titanle (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:13 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

no problem. Who did you buy from?
Don't want to start a flame war here just yet. It is still possible that the delay is mostly due to a supplier problem rather than this retailers. However this company has failed to provide the kind of service that would be expected in this situation. Did not advise me about the delay and their website even showed that it shipped a month ago (which it didn't). Ignored my first email inquiry and did not respond until I had to call for an update. Only got a little bit more of information when I stated I wanted to cancel in a follow up email. Said they would contact me Monday but as of today they have not provided any more information. A quality company would offer either a new ship date, a tracking number or a refund.

Redvette2
Old 01-17-2019, 09:29 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,328 Posts

I missed the boat on this advice, but here it is anyway:

Before you cut up a rare, one-year, not-reproduced part (and it sounds like you won't), consider how you actually listen to music in the car. There are many options for hidden bluetooth solutions that play from USB or your phone, even streaming internet radio, and can live entirely in the rear compartments.

The PO of my wife's 79 cut up the original bezel (not hard to undo) to put in a garish, out-of-place radio in the dash. It sounds okay, but does not fit the look of the car at all.

Anyway, something to consider before you change anything that will be hard to change back if you decide you dont like it.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:34 PM
titanle
Burning Brakes

I was initially thinking of going that route and getting that ION road warrior speaker which other members have used and it fits nicely in the back. With the side pipes, my car is LOUD and I thought maybe it wont be enough sound volume with that setup. I am planning on installing a new alpine single din with Sirius built in, kick panel speakers and a sub in the back with possible another set of rear speakers built into the same box and an amp to run everything.

Get notified of new replies

To Single din radio bezel

Quick Reply: Single din radio bezel