C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[C3 road trip stories] How confident would you be driving this '79 L82 450 miles?

Old 01-10-2019, 11:17 AM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Prostreeter1
Glad you got the car Doug. I know it was a long, agonizing process especially with the fools in OT piling on. I have to ask, and be honest, are the doors as messed up as I thought they were or was it poor pictures. Also, the right rocker....what's going on with that?

When you say you hope the seller makes it right, what exactly are you expecting? The car REALLY does look good at your place. I sure hope it all works out and you get enjoy that car.
The rocker has had some repair, as you pointed out, but the area overall is acceptable.

The door situation is very interesting. Both weather strippings appear to be original (including that sloppy glue job). Both skins look the same. But the driver's door sits relatively flush midway (sticks out maybe 1.5 pennies) while the passenger door bows out to where there is a noticeable gap midway (pics below).

At first my mechanic suspected it was hit but verified the factory rivets were still on the window regulator (and original glass all the way around). So we both figured it was GM build quality from slapping together 54,000 of these in 1979.

Right now my mechanic and body shop are preparing estimates and I'll send those to the seller (in addition to pics). My goal is to have him pay for the repairs he should have disclosed.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:20 AM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

And it's worth noting there's been some paint work, maybe to be expected over 40 years, but there are no obnoxious areas where you can see any type of major fiberglass work (sanding,etc.).

As you may recall, it was advertised as a "5 foot" survivor.

Last edited by UniqueDoug; 01-10-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:54 PM
71yellow454
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 47 Posts

I watched the video I don't see that the seller was trying to hide the poor fit of the door to the quarter panel. I could see clearly the fit of all the panels of the car in the video and looks the same as your picture. I think you bought a nice car, and if it is all original it will have some flaws. It is worth a try though if you paid top dollar for the car.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:40 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, well, well. So... bang your shin yet?
Originally Posted by Eljay
Well I see you finally came "up" here to C3 instead of all the BS "down" in OT. Welcome and Good luck with the car.
Just what exactly is that supposed to mean?
Old 01-12-2019, 09:00 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VegasJen
Well, well, well. So... bang your shin yet?
No nothing and I've been trying to figure out what I'd bang it on?!?

My left knee does rest right below the mirror lever, and there's about a 1 inch gap where my leg is close to the turn lever.

But other than that I am pleasantly surprised with how well I fit. My shorter brother sat in it today and has about the same headroom as I.

Look at the picture below and tell me if you can figure that out.

...Just what exactly is that supposed to mean?
You do know the reputation OT has, right? Lol

Old 01-12-2019, 09:02 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:45 AM
Prostreeter1
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

I told you that car has frame damage and try and get your money back. Remember I was going to send you a PM and tell you about that frame? That car was hit hard on the right rocker......can you tell us what it looks like underneath that area? The doors were re-skinned at some point and I think it was over rusted shells. BTW....the weather stripping is not factory. A six year old attached the stripping, not the factory.

What's the selling dealer willing to do? I don't want to go to OT and wade through all the BS those ***** post.

Last edited by Prostreeter1; 01-13-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:29 AM
Capt. Shark
Team Owner

Location: Into the Mystic And yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking TN
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by F22
Loved the video. My gut feeling, check the fluids and that car will easily do it. It's got that instinctive 'vibe' of being a good little girl. I saw that in, mine in a Craigslist ad and I knew, that she'd be a rowdy ride. She didnt' disappoint and in all likelyhood, yours won't either. Watching the guy drive it, he was soft pedalling that thing. You could smell it, you could tell, that little bitch, was begging for more. That's how mine is, I'll tell you this, there's nothing, no, nothing, like driving a 60's-70's factory four speed car. Do they have a hydraulic clutch? Hell No! They got a Z-Bar linkage that the ball of your left foot is directly connected to the pressure plate of the clutch. You're not judging the 'feel' of how the car is moving. You/re feeling the clutch, grab the friggin' flywheel It is a direct mechanical connection. Nothing like it. And is it some little girl shifter like in a modern car? Nuh-huh. You put your whole arm into the shift, like a MAN! Every shift means something. And no computer telling how to start up the engine. Nope. Pump the pedal three times, hold the carb blades open a crack and crank it. Just as a side note, be prepared to love it, work on it, deal with it, because you've got to dedicated to have one of these, count on it. Welcome!
That's about the best description ever of driving one of these cars

Doug, have fun with it. Lots of C3 experts (not me ) in this section that are more than willing to share their expertise and advice.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:34 AM
Meh
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

I told you that car has frame damage and try and get your money back. Remember I was going to send you a PM and tell you about that frame? That car was hit hard on the right rocker......can you tell us what it looks like underneath that area? The doors were re-skinned at some point and I think it was over rusted shells. BTW....the weather stripping is not factory. A six year old attached the stripping, not the factory.

What's the selling dealer willing to do? I don't want to go to OT and wade through all the BS those ***** post.
I think you’ll enjoy the pictures of the frame.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:36 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I told you that car has frame damage and try and get your money back. Remember I was going to send you a PM and tell you about that frame? That car was hit hard on the right rocker......can you tell us what it looks like underneath that area?
Really so you saw the front suspension area cracks in the seller's pictures? Because he didn't have close ups of that area.

The frame near that right rocker area is straight and unmolested (inspected by two mechanics).

...The doors were re-skinned at some point and I think it was over rusted shells.
Shells look fine inside, passenger door area that you say was hit hard still has factory rivets on the window regulator and factory glass all the way around.

...BTW....the weather stripping is not factory. A six year old attached the stripping, not the factory...
How do you know? They made 54,000+ in 1979 so I could see this coming from the factory. What else do you look for on a reskin?

...What's the selling dealer willing to do? I don't want to go to OT and wade through all the BS those ***** post.
On Monday he'll be getting an email detailing the request for relief on the (4) items he did not disclose.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:37 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 01-13-2019, 12:44 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

No way that door came like that. These cars werent perfect but not that bad. Regulator can survive that

Think the seller even knew it was hit, is he actually liable for the door? Perhaps a body guy can tune that up to make it look right, is still a nice driver worth putting some time into.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:59 PM
Prostreeter1
Pro

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug

Really so you saw the front suspension area cracks in the seller's pictures? Because he didn't have close ups of that area.

I've seen this car (pretty sure its the same one) a few years ago. PA craigslist if I recall correctly.

The frame near that right rocker area is straight and unmolested (inspected by two mechanics).

Shells look fine inside, passenger door area that you say was hit hard still has factory rivets on the window regulator and factory glass all the way around.

How do you know? They made 54,000+ in 1979 so I could see this coming from the factory. What else do you look for on a reskin?

Don't have time to go through your pictures however the skins are separating from the shells.

On Monday he'll be getting an email detailing the request for relief on the (4) items he did not disclose.

Hope the best for you.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:13 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 597 Likes on 485 Posts

The door is interesting. Looks like top and bottom fit but not the center. Overall it looks like a clean C3. Love the look and color.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:22 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
No way that door came like that. These cars werent perfect but not that bad. Regulator can survive that

Think the seller even knew it was hit, is he actually liable for the door? Perhaps a body guy can tune that up to make it look right, is still a nice driver worth putting some time into.
I saw the door fitment in the pics so no he's not liable.

So just to be clear on this theory; the passenger door and rocker were hit hard enough to cause major damage (to frame and door) but the door glass is original and the internals were unaffected? And then when they fixed the door they made the weather stripping and messy glue match the driver's side? Doesn't add up.

If GM can send a brand new SS out with a door gap double the other side I have no doubt that production line could f-k up fitments from 40 years ago.

The following users liked this post:
dvarapala (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:52 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Hope the best for you.
Thank you sir, given my condition I feel I'm doing pretty good.

By the way, you never did update your thread, did you end up buying that clapped out Escape with the bum transmission and hail damage?
Old 01-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Prostreeter1
Pro

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug

Thank you sir, given my condition I feel I'm doing pretty good.

By the way, you never did update your thread, did you end up buying that clapped out Escape with the bum transmission and hail damage?
It went to auction last October and my plan was to bid on it. It sold for $5850.00 and a locale dealer has it on his lot for $13,990.....LOL. Don't know if he fixed the hail or trans issues.
I ended up buying a 44k mile 2010 Edge limited with panoramic roof for 7500.00 at auction.

Did you notice my comment when I quoted your post that I saw your car for sale on Craigslist a few years ago? I'm 98% certain its your car.

Get notified of new replies

To [C3 road trip stories] How confident would you be driving this '79 L82 450 miles?

Old 01-13-2019, 04:45 PM
Capt. Shark
Team Owner

Location: Into the Mystic And yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking TN
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Just took a pic of my door for comparison (79 L82 4 speed also). Hard to believe it came from the factory like that but even if it has been worked, I still say you got a good deal on it.
I think you can put some money in it and still be OK.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:38 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

No telling what its been through. Your gaps are big, one above is tight. Flip that sucker.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:13 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Capt. Shark
Just took a pic of my door for comparison (79 L82 4 speed also). Hard to believe it came from the factory like that but even if it has been worked, I still say you got a good deal on it.
I think you can put some money in it and still be OK.
Essentially the only way it could be flush top and bottom and off that much in the middle is if it was a defective door mold causing it to bow in the middle (because the gaps all nearly all correct in the other areas). The driver's door bows too but about half as much.

It's actually kinda fun to do the forensic part of it; for instance let's assume the door got hit hard enough for a replacement to become necessary (thus the "aftermarket" door with the poor design). Well if this were the case why did the repair facility do the driver's side weatherstripping at the same time? Because both sides have the sloppy glue around identically aged weather strippings.

With 54,000+ vehicles they are going to have mold variations. Maybe once again I was one of the lucky ones to get a 1/1000 defect on another GM product.

And thanks for your comments, and that picture, always good to hear from the C3 faithful. I love this C3 but don't think I'll be a member of the "club" for long.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
...Your gaps are big...
Story of my life.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C3 road trip stories] How confident would you be driving this '79 L82 450 miles?