Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Suggestions?

Old 01-05-2019, 12:25 PM
BlueL82
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Brake Suggestions?

New delcos installed in August on my 80 already leaking. Working on the rear end and I was planning to replace the old calipers there with delcos, but after finding them leaking in the front, I decided not to. What brakes would y'all suggest, not doing autocross or anything on the track, but the faster I could stop the better. I hear a lot about wilwood, but they seem more orientated towards racing.

Bonus: I have 8 old calipers and rotors, is there any company that I can send these to and take advantage of their core return policy?
Old 01-05-2019, 12:34 PM
redvetracr
CF Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueL82 View Post
New delcos installed in August on my 80 already leaking. Working on the rear end and I was planning to replace the old calipers there with delcos, but after finding them leaking in the front, I decided not to. What brakes would y'all suggest, not doing autocross or anything on the track, but the faster I could stop the better. I hear a lot about wilwood, but they seem more orientated towards racing.

Bonus: I have 8 old calipers and rotors, is there any company that I can send these to and take advantage of their core return policy?

calipers (if Delco) yes, rotors probably not...Lonestar caliper in TX
The following users liked this post:
BlueL82 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 12:45 PM
HeadsU.P.
CF Senior Member

Received 420 Likes on 393 Posts

In most cases, as you know, auto parts stores will want a core exchange should you go that route.
I doubt Lonestar will give you much for them considering the weight of them to ship, you might as well hang on to them. Find somebody to rebuild the best four units with new pistons & seals. Nothing wrong with Delcos if rebuilt correctly.

Additional: Calipers can be rebuilt. That's why they want them back.
Master Cyl can be rebuilt, hence the core charge.
Rotors are considered disposable. Its a wear item also known as, scrap iron.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 01-06-2019 at 09:55 AM.
BlueL82 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:17 PM
carriljc
CF Senior Member

Received 223 Likes on 211 Posts

I installed the Wilwood calipers about 6+ years ago and they've been great. Before that I'd been struggling with repeated bleeding for 15-20 years. I bought them on some group sale on this forum. They are great. If you can swing the cost they're great.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:47 AM
Todd TCE
Supporting Vendor

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

I hear a lot about wilwood, but they seem more orientated towards racing.?
Not the case at all. The WIlwood D8 series is produced as a direct replacement for your iron calipers with no change in pads, piston area, feel or intended use. The only change is a more reliable part, lower weight and enhanced appearance. Both the Wilwood and the GM part can be fit with "race" pads yes but that was not the intent of the product.

* CUSTOM * Corvette * Lightning * Impala SS * Focus ST * Marauder * 350/370Z * MINI * Challenger * Crown Vic * Super Duty * Flex/SHO * Mustang * WRX * ...and more!
BlueL82 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 02:40 PM
Street Rat
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 326 Likes on 302 Posts

The Wilwood calipers are fine. I have a set myself. Don't expect quicker braking as the piston area is the same as the factory calipers.Although the big brake kits that they offer would stop better. You need wheels that are bigger than 15" to use those kits.
BlueL82 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 05:59 PM
loup68
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 134 Likes on 119 Posts

Do the Wilwood calipers use a dust seal like the GM Delco one's? Lou.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:44 PM
BLUE1972
CF Senior Member

Received 325 Likes on 285 Posts

Auto Zone and they come with a guarantee ,,,, They are Delco -Remy rebuilt … low cost.

If you want better get the O ring seals - they tend to last longer...…. Ricks Corvettes and Wilcox both have them.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:54 AM
69ttop502
CF Senior Member

Received 272 Likes on 231 Posts

No dust seals on the Wilwood’s Lou.
loup68 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 08:16 AM
Bikespace
CF Senior Member

Received 298 Likes on 279 Posts

I've bought a set of Delcos rebuilt by Lonestar via Zip. I've also rebuilt a pair myself (already stainless sleeved) using the high-temp O-ring kit from CSSB. I was able to use my old calipers as core exchanges, but shipping was not cheap!

If newish calipers leak, I'd look at the rotor runout. It is critical that this is near zero. There are many threads on this, and DUB and GTR1999 have posted many tips on how to handle this.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:58 AM
loup68
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 134 Likes on 119 Posts

I do not see how the Wilwood calipers seals would last very long without dust seals. Dirt, fine sand and water would really mess things up. Lou.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Suggestions?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: