Bad Aftermarket or Repo Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 11:53 AM
ddglanton
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Aftermarket or Repo Parts

To all my Corvette friends out there,

We have to start holding these suppliers of aftermarket and reproduction parts accountable for bad parts. A lot of these parts come from China and they are bad. I am restoring a 1980 Corvette and I have gotten so many bad "New Parts" it is almost un believable. The quality is just not there. It is very frustrating when you spend hours replacing a part and it is bad right out of the factory. I think we need some exposure to start holding the Corvette aftermarket parts suppliers accountable. What do you all think? To the Corvette enthusiasts and restorers out there, I know you know what I am talking about. What do you want to do? Do you want to form some kind of committee to start exposing bad aftermarket parts and giving credit to those that sell good parts. Tell me what you want to do and I will take the lead.

Darrell Glanton
Old 01-06-2019, 12:04 PM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think we all have experienced your frustrations.. that said I’ve ordered from most of the vendors from this site and all of them have been very understanding and helpful when I have an issue with a part... in the end it’s nice to even have access to reproduction parts.

If I’m having a particularly tough time I’ll usually post in the site and ask for suggestions on the best place to source the part. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2019, 12:22 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Doesnt this belong in the Transactions Feedback forum?
Old 01-06-2019, 01:33 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

This thread doesn’t belong in Transaction Feedback as it does not report any specific transaction. There’s lots of similar general complaints about parts quality in every generation. The other thread started has been moved there.

Specific problematic transactions should be reported in that section; that’s what it is there for.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:17 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Stop buying Chinese parts?
Old 01-06-2019, 05:41 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by ddglanton
...We have to start holding these suppliers of aftermarket and reproduction parts accountable for bad parts...What do you all think?...
How will we do that?
Old 01-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

There is only one cure. Find the GM part numbers and buy NOS at twice the price. Cheaper in the end game.

I gave up on most repop.
The following 3 users liked this post by Big2Bird:
ddglanton (01-06-2019), mrvette (01-19-2019), redcruz1120 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:52 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

Its kinda like this in all different car circles. The restoration parts suppliers try as best they can to provide good parts to keep old cars and enthusiasts happy.
But stuff gets expensive to manufacture and regualr people dont wanna pay the difference.
so they make the best they can and if you want the best you try and find original parts. if you want a nice restoration driver, you get whatever is available. You just gonna shine it up and sell it or barely get it on the road you get cheap knockoff crap.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:13 PM
ddglanton
Heel & Toe

Hey Guys,

I'm an Aerospace Engineer. And we CANNOT let bad part go out the door as people's lives depend on us. So, we have quality checks we implement to make sure we don't get bad parts or let bad part go out the door. The problem I see with the aftermarket parts, is that no one is checking them before they go out the door. They make them and ship them without ever knowing if they work. It all boils down to quality control. And there is none. So, don't blame the customer. Hold these part manufacturers accountable for what they sell and produce.

Last edited by ddglanton; 01-07-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:23 PM
ddglanton
Heel & Toe

Exposure my friend.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:51 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

maybe your wiring is bad and causing all the faults lol.

fwiw it is helpful to keep lists of whats good and what to avoid. as you have learned, when you restore an older car you start to find out what brands to avoid and whats worth rebuilding vs replacing.
there is a decent list online for corvette stuff. http://www.vettevendors.com/categori...rior#Vendor420

it would be a good idea to make a sticky thread like this VW one: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...c.php?t=256430 but for c3 corvettes.

examples are people always asking about metro, vs CRC vs Latex weatherstriping. And using trimparts or original handles vs cheaper taiwan stuff etc.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:35 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

start with wiper switches and headlight switches.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rescue Rogers:
ajrothm (01-09-2019), ENCSDOUG (01-09-2019), SD71VETTE (01-10-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 09:14 PM
ddglanton
Heel & Toe

Default Bad Parts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
start with wiper switches and headlight switches.
Guys, Please see this.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-feedback-153/
Old 01-08-2019, 11:58 AM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Most of the problems that I see result from the suppliers having to go to China to get the parts. Many are no longer made here or are too expensive, so people buy the cheaper Chinese parts. You have to do some serious searching to find u-joints, ball joints, etc that are actually made here. You just can't buy Timken or Moog and assume they are made here, you have to dig through their product literature to find the part numbers that do correspond with a true USA made part. When more people are willing to buy quality over price then the manufacturing will come back.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:53 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I've had problems both ways. I've been pretty disappointed in the quality of some reproduction parts but I've also bought a lot of OEM used parts that appeared okay in pictures and I was told were in good or very good condition and I receive them and they're way worse than what I want to put on the car or have some hidden problem or wear that didn't show up in the pictures. For example, I've got one new reproduction pace car steering wheel, and two used OEM steering wheels that I'd be very disappointed to use on my car and I foolishly sold my very good condition OEM oyster steering wheel for $20 because I mistakenly thought some trivial wear on it greatly devalued it and I didn't want to dye it silver myself. Like this I've found myself buying multiple times the same used OEM part for 60% of the re-production cost until I get one good enough to use or decide Its hopeless and buy the new reproduction. So for me, I find it kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing with reproduction parts.

But getting parts for my Corvette is still heaven compared to getting them for my '70 Torino.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:26 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by ratflinger
Most of the problems that I see result from the suppliers having to go to China to get the parts. Many are no longer made here or are too expensive, so people buy the cheaper Chinese parts. You have to do some serious searching to find u-joints, ball joints, etc that are actually made here. You just can't buy Timken or Moog and assume they are made here, you have to dig through their product literature to find the part numbers that do correspond with a true USA made part. When more people are willing to buy quality over price then the manufacturing will come back.
First its not where they are made, its the companies that have the parts made and what standards they spec. China can manufacture to the same standards as anywhere in north America, but if the American company specs are low and whether it is made in the "USA" or "China" its the spec that matters. I have received many "MADE IN USA" parts that are also cheap and crappy as others made over sea's. So ask the companies to review their specs , QC , Warranty. I don't trust "where its made" anymore. If a company won't stand behind the product with long term warranty, and have a proven track record of reliability ("forum members etc") I move on to the next.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:45 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
First its not where they are made, its the companies that have the parts made and what standards they spec. China can manufacture to the same standards as anywhere in north America, but if the American company specs are low and whether it is made in the "USA" or "China" its the spec that matters. I have received many "MADE IN USA" parts that are also cheap and crappy as others made over sea's. So ask the companies to review their specs , QC , Warranty. I don't trust "where its made" anymore. If a company won't stand behind the product with long term warranty, and have a proven track record of reliability ("forum members etc") I move on to the next.

Most of the products that I've bought, and most are from supporting vendors to this forum, are actually ok. I try to read up on the forum before buying parts and I avoid troublesome things, unless I have no choice. For example-- reading on here I noticed that the vertical dash pads are problematic when trying to get them to fit.... so I didn't buy.... instead I took my old driver side dash pad and cleaned it, and then reglassed the whole back side--- I could have done a better job, but I initially only planned for it to be temporary; however, I know that I can go back in there and make it better next time I remove it for something.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Aftermarket or Repo Parts

Old 01-09-2019, 11:48 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
How will we do that?
Document and report here on this forum. If I'm buying anything that is remotely questionable, or somewhat expensive, I look through this forum to read about other folks' experiences. It works well.

Last edited by carriljc; 01-09-2019 at 11:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vettebuyer6369 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 08:23 AM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Another (probably obvious) solution is not to buy the cheapest version of the part you are looking for. Most of the vendors now list a couple of different versions of the parts and some will state whether it is made in the US or not.
The following users liked this post:
vettebuyer6369 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 12:49 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by carriljc
Document and report here on this forum. If I'm buying anything that is remotely questionable, or somewhat expensive, I look through this forum to read about other folks' experiences. It works well.

Members should routinely look over the Transaction Feedback section for reports of such items. I don’t know how many complaint threads have been met with, “ did you see this thread in Transaction Feedback...?”

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 01-10-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Bad Aftermarket or Repo Parts