C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Aftermarket or Repo Parts

Old 01-21-2019, 05:07 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I find the sadest thing is the licensed GM part boxes. They pay GM for the name, but it means squat. No GM QC is involved, nor guarantee of quality. Pure psyche.

If your new GM emblem is in a GM box, it comes from Taiwain Tommy.

Last edited by Big2Bird; 01-21-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:15 PM
nix1981
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
I doubt it. You can still get the Camaro switch from GM, and move the vacuum valve to the new one.
Well that's great news... I checked the spring pin thinking it was jammed up or something but it's fine. I'm not sure why it does it. Something not fitting right. My rational was that maybe the new ***** fit better with the new switches. I figured I'd have to deal with it for now has pulling that dash pad down is a PIA! I just got done putting everything together.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:37 PM
Skeetshooter
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Pure psyche. If your new GM emblem is in a GM box, it comes from Taiwain Tommy.
Let me fix that for you... Pure marketing horsehockey GRRRRR
Old 01-22-2019, 11:27 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 191 Posts

Face reality. Get as frothed up and pissed off as you want. Go for it! We work hard for our money. Get it out of your system. We expect quality as close to OE as possible, and expect our suppliers to uphold the same standards that we hold for ourselves and our fabulous cars; after all, they can use their purchasing power leverage, right? But, the plainly clear economic fact is that ours is a dying, rather than growing, C3 hobby. Nobody (nobody) is tooling up, investing in our growth prospects. I saw an attached posting here that implied that a C3's relatively complicated (for its time) electro-vacuum headlight switch oughta work for ...$35 dollars. $35 dollars! They probably cost more than that brand new 40 years ago. That literally equates to about $2 dollars profit for each touchpoint in the value chain between here and its China origins. Where is the margin for a dedicated QC Manager even in China-land? Math matters. I saw a posting in this string defending Chinese quality implying that its a matter of the sponsoring company providing and enforcing the straightforward quality specs - not that its an inherent Chinese cultural or economic problem or anything. Someone should just make them comply with the US specs that they've been provided, or just as likely, they've stolen or tried to reverse engineer. Having lived it, good luck with that my friend - good luck with that even with the best training and on-site quality-control person even when its made in the US or Canada with our relatively small production runs and aging tooling - aimed almost entirely at the NA market without global scale. Dave McLellan, the C3’s (+C4 and early C5) said in his book that they strughled with finding OE suppliers to build C3 parts for the C3 plant in 81-82 because the other GM platforms were no longer sharing the out-dated/diminishing volume C3 parts. IMHO (and from experience in this space at an OEM) its a testimony to the current C3 supplier partners that we have the breadth of options that we do in their catalogs after so many decades.
Bottom line, buy what you can while you can for your/our precious C3's because the current C3 repro product selection and build quality will gradually continue to fade as our volumes and its supporting business case to inventory/catalog and promote them continues to decline. In the five years that I've owned mine, I've already noticed a few more gaps in the applications each year - and, there is a zero percent chance of that trend reversing.

Last edited by Lakeside49; 01-23-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:58 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Just my 2 cents. I bought a side mirror from GM. Nice GM box and logo but a piece of crap enclosed. I considered that maybe someone swapped the good one for a repop. And sold the good one. You just never know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad Aftermarket or Repo Parts