Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Corvette Journey - '1974 Restomod

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:04 PM
Auggievf
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Last night I glued and sealed my rear window trim that broke into 3 pieces when I was removing it. Pretty easy with some plastic glue and super glue combined ;-) I'll sand down the connections and paint it this weekend perhaps. My father is in town visiting so we'll see how much work I get done. Most likely none. hahahaha

That CRL1303 is pretty intense stuff. I wasn't expecting it to be so much like... uh... clay I guess? Pretty cool stuff....

Seat brackets are being delivered today as well. :-D Now all I need to do is check for leaks, replace the seat belts, lay the frost king, lay deadner, run wires, etc etc etc.... almost there?
Old 01-25-2019, 08:51 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Not sure but I think you are referring to the "Halo" for the back window. Mine broke in pieces also, was old and brittle from age. I ordered a new one and it's much more pliable than the old one.
Keep that in mind in case your repair does not last.

Ken
The following users liked this post:
Auggievf (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:15 PM
Auggievf
Instructor

Got some work on the car done this weekend with my dad.

We cleaned and replaced the back window "tape" and reinstalled the window. It kept popping off a little in the corners so we wedged a couple pieces of wood to put some pressure on the window so it seals.

We found the source of the water leak on the passenger side was the little metal plate that covers the power window motor. the seal around it had gone bad so I used some of the window sealer and reinstalled it. I'll most likely need to do the same to the drivers side. Didn't get to it yet...

I was excited to find out that there was no water leaking from the windshield wiper area or the drain area. Found that my bad job of applying the weatherstripping around the doors 4 years ago was also causing a little leaking so I bought another set and will do a better job this time.

We also wired up the alternator to the starter and ground with a massive 1/0 gauge wire and fuse. I know it's more than I need but everything I read said it wouldn't hurt so I did it. Starter to battery was already a large wire as was battery to ground. Not sure if that's standard or if the PO already beefed it up.... mmmm beef.... anyway...

It was nice having someone to work on my car with... bounce ideas off of in the moment... made things a lot easier.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:17 PM
Auggievf
Instructor

Originally Posted by 74Ken
Not sure but I think you are referring to the "Halo" for the back window. Mine broke in pieces also, was old and brittle from age. I ordered a new one and it's much more pliable than the old one.
Keep that in mind in case your repair does not last.

Ken
Yeah, that's the one. Using a combination of plastic glue which essentially melts the plastic and bonds together and some super glue gel I was able to get it pretty solid. Sanded the joints and will paint it soon. If it breaks again I'll replace it. Was just trying to avoid the $100 purchase if I can avoid it. I'm spending money like it's going out of style on this bulb replacement...
Old 02-07-2019, 01:06 PM
Auggievf
Instructor

Got my carpet and sound barrier in the mail the other day. Also got some 3M strips for the door vapor barrier, the weird clip for the coolant temperature sending unit and the rest of my parking brake springs.

Questions that I couldn't find an answer to: Why does the temperature sending unit have that weird disc connector and why does my dark green wire have a standard female wire connector instead of the weird clip... I wish I would have paid more attention when I took it apart :- Simple connection how hard can it be.... *live and learn*

Did I get the right connector? It just slips over the disc with nothing securing it in place other than some friction?

Temp Sending Unit I have:

Clip I bought:

I have absolutely no idea how it was connected previously because the wire has this connector and I didn't see any adapters in my parts:

Last edited by Auggievf; 02-07-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:49 PM
How Are You
Drifting

Received 403 Likes on 296 Posts

Ecklers lists the '72-'78 coolant temp sending unit as this one.
https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...1972-1978.html
Old 02-11-2019, 11:59 AM
Auggievf
Instructor

@How Are You What what???? So weird, if that were the one in my engine it would explain the female spade connector on the wire but....

But how did it mysteriously get swapped out in the 3 hours I had my alternator out with the current one and what mysterious villain would do such a thing? And if it is so easy for said villain to swap that out, he should help me with the rest of my car....

But seriously, that is so weird and complicates things further... I assume the one I have will work because others have said they have the same one in the separate thread about the subject... I guess I'll find out once I get my interior back together....
Old 02-11-2019, 12:25 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Auggievf
Got my carpet and sound barrier in the mail the other day. Also got some 3M strips for the door vapor barrier, the weird clip for the coolant temperature sending unit and the rest of my parking brake springs.

Questions that I couldn't find an answer to: Why does the temperature sending unit have that weird disc connector and why does my dark green wire have a standard female wire connector instead of the weird clip... I wish I would have paid more attention when I took it apart :- Simple connection how hard can it be.... *live and learn*

Did I get the right connector? It just slips over the disc with nothing securing it in place other than some friction?

Temp Sending Unit I have:

Clip I bought:

I have absolutely no idea how it was connected previously because the wire has this connector and I didn't see any adapters in my parts:
Normally I don't include the pictures with a response but this time I did.
I have the same problem, never saw the connector in the second picture, was there a model number/part number with that one?
I made the same one as the third picture but it keeps popping off. Would rather get the correct one myself.

Funny thing is, I found the same sender unit on the other side of the block. I thought that was weird with nothing connected to it either.
Ken
Auggievf (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 12:48 PM
Auggievf
Instructor

I have the same problem, never saw the connector in the second picture, was there a model number/part number with that one?

Funny thing is, I found the same sender unit on the other side of the block. I thought that was weird with nothing connected to it either.
Ken
Hey Ken,

The pigtail connector I got is this one (best price+shipping): https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco-5665pt

Apparently, depending upon your engine I suppose (mines a crate), the other one on the passenger side is an oil temperature unit.... I haven't had a chance to check mine yet because it's been raining but I need to take a look and see whats going on over there...

Thanks for the info and that you have the same one. Makes me wonder if the corvette parts websites are correct or the one that everyone else has in their 'Vette's are correct....
Old 02-11-2019, 12:53 PM
Auggievf
Instructor

I made the same one as the third picture but it keeps popping off.
DING! Light bulb time! This comment got me thinking and I realized that the female spade connector was bent strangely but I didn't think anything of it. I bet it was the same deal as yours and he just connected the only connector he had to get the gauge to work and had to bend it to make it work.

At least that mystery is now solved and I don't have to worry about some missing part.... Thanks!!!
Old 02-12-2019, 09:43 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Hmm, i just ordered it from Rock Auto. 11.98 shipped to Canada for two of them..
I love Rock Auto

Last edited by 74Ken; 02-12-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:34 PM
Auggievf
Instructor

Awesome. Not sure exactly what I paid from Summit but it was about the same. Spliced it together last night before the rains hit.

Also replaced the LED dash lights for my turn signal indicators with incandescent bulbs... I kept reading something about them having to be regular unless you do other mods to the wiring. I don't remember the details but I was also concerned about the green tinted blinker and the red LED making it dark and brown....
Old 02-13-2019, 06:16 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Lectric Limited also shows a blade type connector on the temp sender.
Auggievf (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 12:59 PM
Auggievf
Instructor

Maybe all the replacement ones have the spade connector for ease of use and the old ones are the only ones with the nail head connector... I don't know. Either way, mine is now connected.

If the rains would just stop for a bit so I can fix my leaks and finish painting/dying the interior that would be great....
Old 02-19-2019, 03:03 PM
Auggievf
Instructor

Cleaned up the tracks and put in some weatherstripping in the doors and t-tops this weekend...

Not super happy with the way they turned out and I still have a lot of leaks... maybe more now :-/

*blargh....

Quick Reply: My Corvette Journey - '1974 Restomod