Sponsored by:

Rvzio new 71 restore

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 11:11 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

R…………….that looks like my nose (and the nose on my car, too)
Old 01-19-2019, 12:48 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

This morning I started the splash mold process on a few pieces. Also started grinding off the old bondo and crap. Amazing how people take shortcuts to get things done. Anyway a lot of the bondo just flaked off so you could imagine if I left it and painted up everything. Have to start from scratch. Here are a few pictures of scratch!

Old 01-19-2019, 01:35 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

you know, i would be tempted to repair that top seam but that tiny hump right down the center will always have this little ripple in it that will drive you nuts. it is not a trim line, just a direction change at the center. are you splashing that whole top center section, or using it? if fabbing the piece, Tony needs a copy too...

Last edited by derekderek; 01-19-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:35 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by derekderek
you know, i would be tempted to repair that top seam but that tiny hump right down the center will always have this little ripple in it that will drive you nuts. it is not a trim line, just a direction change at the center. are you splashing that whole top center section, or using it? if fabbing the piece, Tony needs a copy too...
Jury still out on the center. The splash mold center shown has that pitched profile which was important. I will separate them and install the nose edge and then rivet the support. I want to see if that center profile changes. I do want to add some structure to underneath. Someone did and I noticed the crap just fell off and the fiberglass was smooth and shiny like glass. They did not sand scuff underneath for any product to adhere to it. Probably some mat under as a backer and support and then also the top. May even fill the crack with VPA . We'll see
Old 01-19-2019, 03:48 PM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 959 Likes on 596 Posts

You have a few options Roger, will be intereterested to see how you go.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:51 PM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

I was just thinking the other day what is the proper way of fiing or reapiring old fiberglass repairs that were badly made or cracks that start to show after years of service?
Luckily CraigH posted some great pics of the repair process and now you Rvzio are also posting some good photos of the work.
Here in Europe there are not a lot of guys doing this things. They don't like to work with fiberglass.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:50 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Primoz
I was just thinking the other day what is the proper way of fiing or reapiring old fiberglass repairs that were badly made or cracks that start to show after years of service?
Luckily CraigH posted some great pics of the repair process and now you Rvzio are also posting some good photos of the work.
Here in Europe there are not a lot of guys doing this things. They don't like to work with fiberglass.
I enjoy the challenges that the repairs create. Each repair from each car has it's own issues. This one is a big one since it's the front and there are many pieces that are effected. Headlights, the fit of the bumper, the front grills and bumperettes. Patience is golden!
Old 01-20-2019, 02:45 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

So today was going to be a good day. Had some high test coffee, had my plan. First up install the center support rod and the nose support. This would lock in the height of things. Line up the the rivet holes and install it. Now I have things close to ready. Wait, maybe I should put the headlights in to see if they line up. Driver side not to bad, but the other side well one bolt hole was off and the lid was not fitting to good. What the hell is going on. After looking I said oh I bet the support I welded was a little shorter. Okay remove it all and match it with the 69 one. Crap they're both the same rivet holes everything. Man I'm getting a ton done. Not! Start looking at things to this mystery. Why the hell is only one side lining up with rivet holes. Okay so I'm a little slow. Here's what I found. Had to heat up the fiberglass attached to the header on the drivers side. Slid the support over to the right (pass. side) and lined up the holes. Then I moved the entire piece of fiberglass on the drivers side and bam all the rivet holes all lined up. The inner fender on the drivers side was off the fender from damage. That's why whoever tried to fix the damage cut the nose support to get a bubba alignment. So the bad, not much got done. The good at least I understand the mind or mindless thoughts as to what someone was trying to do. Pretty poor!
Oh, now the center piece crack is a lot closer then previous pictures................................ ........................................ ........................................ .............oh well!

RVZIO

Last edited by SB64; 01-20-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:56 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

All though it may not seem like you got a lot done, if you had not done things the way you did at some point further along you would have to back up all the way to where you are right now !
Looking good so far Roger !
Old 01-21-2019, 04:27 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SPCL FX
All though it may not seem like you got a lot done, if you had not done things the way you did at some point further along you would have to back up all the way to where you are right now !
Looking good so far Roger !
Thanks Ray, you know your always welcome here. Stop by sometime when you get a chance. Hope all is well!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the invite Roger !
I apoligze I haven't come over ! Back last June I had one person move out of the two shops in the warehouses I manage ! It took two months to get them clean ! We had another tenant take them over making a total of eight that he had and about two and a half weeks later the landlord and him had a disagreement and he vacated all his shops ! I had hardly started to clean all those up when another tenant with four shops had to vacate as well !
Long story short we still haven't got all of them back to operational status ! There are issues where they have messed with the electrical wiring from the meters to the lights !
During all this I've not been able to work on my car at all !
I should have everything there done by Feb. 1 though and then start moving forward again , I hope ! Lol
Got plans to go to Carlisle next month?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:23 AM
derekderek
Race Director

So you are working full time to fix these buildings while no rent is coming in to buy stuff to fix these buildings. Big fun. Roger. You have 2 or 3 noses. Maybe measure the gap between headlights and width of headlight holes to get an idea what is too short or long...
Old 01-21-2019, 11:49 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Came up for lunch while scratching my head. Can't seem to get things the way I would like with the driver headlight. The driver side fender/ inner fender was damaged pretty good.It also looks to me like the headlight lid may have a bend in it more then I've seen. Oh well a break and go back and see if I see anything .
Old 01-21-2019, 02:42 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Took a deeper look at my problem and noticed the main header support was split down the middle. Looks like they tried to straighten it but not to good. Also the end bracket that supports the header is bent and relocated. Time to punt!
Located another front clip that also needs some work but the price is right . Will check it out tomorrow. Sometimes you just need to know when to move on. Also found a hood surround so not sure what way I want to go.

RVZIO

Last edited by SB64; 01-21-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:46 PM
derekderek
Race Director

If it can be made, it can be fixed. Doesn't mean it is worth doing..
Old 01-21-2019, 05:53 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't know, I have a good header bar ready to go but trying to get it right with the busted up area where the end bracket goes is an issue for sure.
have to think about this situation!
Old 01-21-2019, 07:55 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Hey Derekderek , you misunderstood a little of what I was saying!
I manage the buildings for the owner and I have one of the five spaces ( 20' x 50' ) and my payment for collecting rent and doing lite maintenance covers my shop rent ! He pays me cash money for anything extra that I do ! The landlord is the one that has been spending money on the buildings but he has been using the money that he has been collecting from the tenants to do all the repairs! He owns the buildings outright so all he pays out is for taxes and the water bill and of course all the repairs he has been doing !
Sorry for hijacking your thread Roger !
If you run into a problem where you need more than two hands to get things right let me know and I'll try to arrange time to come give you hand with it !
The following users liked this post:
SB64 (01-22-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Rvzio new 71 restore

Old 01-24-2019, 12:32 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Started removing things to day and I am glad. The surround I picked up is in real nice shape and even had the inner fenders. Good because the driver side inner fender was pretty much gone. Anyway a few pictures for those interested.

RVZIO

Oh, I almost forgot the picture of the large chunk of rubber squeezed in behind the expansion tank to stop it from rattling. Bubba!

Last edited by SB64; 01-24-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:42 PM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

You ever wonder if who attempted the last fix thought... I have 18 bucks, an old seat cushion and a ripped screen.. I should be able to fix it... Oh and a hatchet of course.
I've found old socks for filler backing before. Probably great idea you had to get away from that old stuff as who knows what else you'd find wrong needing work.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:47 PM
yvesvidal
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Roger,

You are not afraid of cutting and gluing Corvette body parts. It is quite impressive.
Yes, some Bubba repair "wizards" should better find another occupation. They actually cause more damages than by doing nothing.

I am following your new adventure with a lot of interest.
Yves
The following users liked this post:
SB64 (01-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Rvzio new 71 restore