Sponsored by:

c3 intake gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:08 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Default c3 intake gasket

Why does Fel Pro have a restricted port gasket and a Mahle not have one? Also what are we restricting on the left side, which i believe should be the drivers side on a 77 model Corvette
Old 01-17-2019, 10:15 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

The heat riser. This is an open port inside the exhaust port that backtracks through to the intake and across to the other side. This was done to heat up the choke faster and for emissions.
Most people nowadays remove this system by blocking it completely with a 1204 Fel-Pro gasket. I never saw the restricted gasket to have any benefit because the exhaust gets there anyway.
Unless you are daily driving in a cold climate, disable and block with the 1204. Also remove the heat riser valve on the passenger exhaust manifold.....Wilcox sells a spacer that goes in its place to delete the troublesome flap valve. This valve was to remain closed during closed during start up to force exhaust up through the intake.
The reason it is important to block off is to keep the carb and intake cool which makes better more consistent power and ward off vapor lock.

Jebby
Old 01-17-2019, 10:26 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
The heat riser. This is an open port inside the exhaust port that backtracks through to the intake and across to the other side. This was done to heat up the choke faster and for emissions.
Most people nowadays remove this system by blocking it completely with a 1204 Fel-Pro gasket. I never saw the restricted gasket to have any benefit because the exhaust gets there anyway.
Unless you are daily driving in a cold climate, disable and block with the 1204. Also remove the heat riser valve on the passenger exhaust manifold.....Wilcox sells a spacer that goes in its place to delete the troublesome flap valve. This valve was to remain closed during closed during start up to force exhaust up through the intake.
The reason it is important to block off is to keep the carb and intake cool which makes better more consistent power and ward off vapor lock.

Jebby
In California, I have to have the heat riser to pass visual. HOWEVER, it is not tested, so I gutted mine, it still moves, and welded the crossover shut both sides. The EGR looks nice, and does zippo.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:54 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Thanks to both of you for the info!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:27 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
In California, I have to have the heat riser to pass visual. HOWEVER, it is not tested, so I gutted mine, it still moves, and welded the crossover shut both sides. The EGR looks nice, and does zippo.
The Commiefornia snog ****'s monitor this site. Prepare for knocking on your front door tomorrow morning at 4:00.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:43 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Sayfoo
The Commiefornia snog ****'s monitor this site. Prepare for knocking on your front door tomorrow morning at 4:00.
I hope they are prepared to meet Phred.

Get notified of new replies

To c3 intake gasket

Quick Reply: c3 intake gasket