General Question About Free Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 05:10 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default General Question About Free Parts

I know this is the general topic area so this is a general question even though the question is about giving away free parts.
I have been receiving requests for free parts from forum members that have seen me give free parts out in the past.
They range from "do you have this specific part for free?" to "what free parts do you have for my 1978?" tp "please contact me before posting free parts, I might want them".
Is it just me or does this feel wrong to anyone else?
My first reaction is to stop giving away free parts altogether but I would like to know what you think about it.
I try to be open about the parts and I am only asking folks to cover the cost of shipping and I list parts for free once I confirm I cannot or will not be using them on my 1974.
I could try to sell these items like most everyone else does but it just seems wrong to sell something that someone here might be able to use to keep their car on the road.
Yes, occasionally I give a part away and find it for sale somewhere else, those guys just don't get considered for future freebies.
I'm probably just getting old and maybe cranky but I wanted to ask your opinion before I make a decision what to do with these parts.
Thanks for weighing in.
David Howard
The following 2 users liked this post by AllC34Me:
Greg (01-18-2019), Rescue Rogers (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 06:29 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

People should be ashamed to send you questions like that. Its disgraceful, and cheap. Offering anything for free is kind, but then here we have people who begin to take advantage of it. Sound familiar with things going on in the U.S., so no surprise. If I was you, I would stop offering free parts to anyone. This is a CORVETTE forum, which means people are engaging in a hobby, not a personal need. Another way to look at this is when you give things away for free, you devalue that same part that another guy is trying to sell,.....so you aren't doing him any favors. Stick with capitalism.
The following 2 users liked this post by Torqued Off:
AllC34Me (01-18-2019), Blue71droptop (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 06:40 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
People should be ashamed to send you questions like that. Its disgraceful, and cheap. Offering anything for free is kind, but then here we have people who begin to take advantage of it. Sound familiar with things going on in the U.S., so no surprise. If I was you, I would stop offering free parts to anyone. This is a CORVETTE forum, which means people are engaging in a hobby, not a personal need. Another way to look at this is when you give things away for free, you devalue that same part that another guy is trying to sell,.....so you aren't doing him any favors. Stick with capitalism.
Interesting perspective.
Thank you.
David
Old 01-18-2019, 06:51 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

^^^THIS^^^

People never appreciate something you give them for free, but sell the same item to them at a great deal and they can't stop talking about it.

YMMV
The following 2 users liked this post by Iceaxe:
69427 (01-18-2019), AllC34Me (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 06:55 AM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

Ive tried to do the same in the past when i offer stuff up locally. I usually try and get them to tell me about their project. but i started getting people just coming over with the intent to flip stuff and just asking to take boxes of random stuff. so i stopped.
Mostly old VW parts. i could tell right away when i asked about what they were working on.

People skim craigslist and offerup, classifieds using the free/ 1$ search, instead of looking for actual things so the theres higher chance of random flippers hitting your ad.

What i started doing was putting my free/junk/giveaway stuff for sale, really cheap. People who need it will know what it is, and how much it is really worth. And they will inquire about it seriously, instead of just being opportunistic.
So i put a bumper for 20$. weeds out the freeload searches. i get someone who wants it and asks real questions. i tell them they can have it for 10. they come over and after some story of their car and stuff i let em have it for free. If they come over and cant explain their project or what the parts i have are, i just sell it to them. I make a few bucks lol. but its usually actual people who need it.
its the free ads that get you flippers.

screw the people asking for free parts though. thats rude. what youre offering is generous enough. If i see something I like I dont mind leaving a few extra bucks especially if Im taking more than one thing. but if youre taking everything, screw that too lol. i set a limit and tell em its to help others too.
The following users liked this post:
AllC34Me (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 07:00 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by NONN37
Ive tried to do the same in the past when i offer stuff up locally. I usually try and get them to tell me about their project. but i started getting people just coming over with the intent to flip stuff and just asking to take boxes of random stuff. so i stopped.
Mostly old VW parts. i could tell right away when i asked about what they were working on.

People skim craigslist and offerup, classifieds using the free/ 1$ search, instead of looking for actual things so the theres higher chance of random flippers hitting your ad.

What i started doing was putting my free/junk/giveaway stuff for sale, really cheap. People who need it will know what it is, and how much it is really worth. And they will inquire about it seriously, instead of just being opportunistic.
So i put a bumper for 20$. weeds out the freeload searches. i get someone who wants it and asks real questions. i tell them they can have it for 10. they come over and after some story of their car and stuff i let em have it for free. If they come over and cant explain their project or what the parts i have are, i just sell it to them. I make a few bucks lol. but its usually actual people who need it.
its the free ads that get you flippers.

screw the people asking for free parts though. thats rude. what youre offering is generous enough. If i see something I like I dont mind leaving a few extra bucks especially if Im taking more than one thing. but if youre taking everything, screw that too lol. i set a limit and tell em its to help others too.
Very helpful, thank you.
David
Old 01-18-2019, 07:00 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
^^^THIS^^^

People never appreciate something you give them for free, but sell the same item to them at a great deal and they can't stop talking about it.

YMMV
Good thought.
Thank you.
David
Old 01-18-2019, 07:42 AM
pauls71stingray
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd like to add another point of view.. David has been extremely generous with me in offering free parts. I have not and will not sell what has been given to me. The parts and knowledge that have been given are both helpful and greatly appreciated. As I SLOWLY get my car together I've been trying to pay it forward by giving away extra parts that I might accumulate, as per David's example. We all know how expensive this hobby can be and without the help of other hobbyists some of us would be excluded from enjoying the corvette world! One day I'll actually get to drive my car and I for one won't forget those that helped me get to my goal.
As David has exemplified not all corvette owners are TACOS.
THANK YOU SIR
AllC34Me (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 07:49 AM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

I think you are one super generous person and am glad to have you a part of this forum. To “scratch your itch” of helping fellow members, ask a reasonable or lower price for the item and offer free shipping. Within reason of course considering size, weight, and where it is going. I feel like I get a good deal whenever I buy something online, no matter what the cost, if I get free shipping, especially given the rates charged by companies. Hopefully, this would knock out the “tell me what you got for free” people that you have experienced.
Good of luck with what you decide to do and again, thanks for helping out all of us!

Fran
AllC34Me (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 07:59 AM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Here are my thoughts on this David. I agree, people proactively contacting you about free parts is wrong and if it were me being contacted, I would be put off by it. By the same token, people turning around and selling parts that you have given them is also wrong. Here is the thing though, you do A LOT of good for this forum and have genuinely helped many members, myself included. On balance I would imagine that the good vastly outweighs the bad. What you do speaks volumes about you as a person, who you are and the integrity and kindness that you possess. The same is true of those who would take for granted what you do, or have done. Their actions speak volumes to them as people, specifically their integrity. By circling the wagons and saying no more give aways, you allow those people to take something away from you and diminish the sense of community that you have directly contributed to in this forum. Having been privileged to meet you on more than one occasion, I get the sense that you truly enjoy doing these give aways and truly enjoy the camaraderie. Don't allow a few bad apples take that away from you. Perhaps just be a little more discerning in who you give parts to. Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

Bryan
The following 4 users liked this post by BEJ:
AllC34Me (01-18-2019), Blue71droptop (01-18-2019), SPCL FX (01-19-2019), Syl1953 (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:27 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by David Howard
I know this is the general topic area so this is a general question even though the question is about giving away free parts.
I have been receiving requests for free parts from forum members that have seen me give free parts out in the past.
They range from "do you have this specific part for free?" to "what free parts do you have for my 1978?" tp "please contact me before posting free parts, I might want them".
Is it just me or does this feel wrong to anyone else?
My first reaction is to stop giving away free parts altogether but I would like to know what you think about it.
I try to be open about the parts and I am only asking folks to cover the cost of shipping and I list parts for free once I confirm I cannot or will not be using them on my 1974.
I could try to sell these items like most everyone else does but it just seems wrong to sell something that someone here might be able to use to keep their car on the road.
Yes, occasionally I give a part away and find it for sale somewhere else, those guys just don't get considered for future freebies.
I'm probably just getting old and maybe cranky but I wanted to ask your opinion before I make a decision what to do with these parts.
Thanks for weighing in.
David Howard
this is a monster you and you alone created...

Old 01-18-2019, 09:35 AM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Received 604 Likes on 295 Posts

It’s not just you getting old and cranky. I’m young and I’m bothered by what you say you’re dealing with. I have a few parts that were given to me by someone that I ended up not using that I’ve been wanting to pass on to someone else, but reading what you’ve experienced makes me want to just hoard those parts because I don’t feel right about selling them. I’m not really sure how I can verify that the parts would actually be used by the person and not just flipped. But if I received those messages, I’d probably stop giving stuff away.
AllC34Me (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:40 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

I totally agree! Couldn't have said it better myself.
AllC34Me (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:42 AM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I wouldn't let the leeches contacting you bother you, it's no different than super low ball offers or people knocking what you have for sale. Do what makes you happy and if that's giving away some stuff do it I say. If someone gets pissy because they are trying to sell something and feel you took a sale away... Oh well it's not like you intended to do it(plus free is free you cannot compete with free anyways).
You've been extremely generous and courteous amd I for one applaud you and wish more were like you in the world.
AllC34Me (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:54 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

These were good comments, thanks to you that took time to put them out there. I will give it some thought and maybe offer up some more stuff lower in price and free shipping. I like that. Even if I can just cover the shipping then I get the same result and some folks get the same parts.
Will see how it goes but thank you again.
David
Old 01-18-2019, 09:59 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by redvetracr
I reported your post to the moderators.
It doesn't offer any helpful thoughts, which I was soliciting.
David

Last edited by AllC34Me; 01-18-2019 at 10:00 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by AllC34Me:
Auggievf (01-18-2019), Blue71droptop (01-18-2019), M A Fry (01-18-2019), Syl1953 (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:15 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

I have some input regards this subject.
David Howard has been most generous to me (and others) over the years.
Thank you David.
We have a Pay-it-Forward event around Christmas time and I remember David giving away 45+ items in 2017, almost all including free shipping.
Remarkable.
The rules were not very strict .....take an item, give an item.
I also remember some greedy ones on there each year. One guy jumped from member to member....and then at the end said he did not have anything to offer. Pretty lame.
But such is the nature of our culture so why would the CF be any different.
As to the Support Capitalism sentiment......this is a hobby forum and the Parts Section is not Ebay, Amazon, etc. The service is a free one offered by the owners of the forum. Saying that giving away parts "diminishes" the value of the guy trying to sell that part is pure BS. You want capitalism....go to Ebay and pay the high fees I pay to sell items. I have been on there for over 12yrs. Besides...selling on CF can be frustrating as there are a lot of cheapskates here......LOL.
My other point is this.....you give something away, you don't own it anymore. Ever give a gift to a friend or family member only to see it someone else's house later? Its called re-gifting.
IMO - It is the new owner's decision what to do with it. Of course, one could say that the "new" owner garnered the item under fraudulent means. That is their bad karma to deal with. You did a good deed and deserve the respect and thanks for it. Nothing more.
Also I would throw out this thought......the guy who sold the free item........he has a project car that he cannot complete or his family has a high unexpected bill to deal with and now needs to sell off stuff to meet his bills. Should he keep a list of the source of all his parts, free and bought? And return the free items? See my point?
Keeping score is not a joyous way to go through life.
God blesses us and we share his blessings.

I will always remember my good friend David Howard no matter what. I will remember him as the person he is, not the material things I got from him.

Hope to see you in 2019 David....God bless you, Tammy and your family.
Dennis
The following 2 users liked this post by bmans vette:
AllC34Me (01-18-2019), Greg (01-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To General Question About Free Parts

Old 01-18-2019, 10:18 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by redvetracr
Prayers sent for you.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:33 AM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 126 Posts

HI David, Just keep a list of the ones that bother you, then delete there messages. Like the soup **** on Seinfeld, no free parts for you! lol
AllC34Me (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 11:19 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Put a price on all your parts, and then give the money to charity.
That is the way I do it here in Denmark.

Just yesterday I sold something here in DK, the price was very good, but still people wanted a discount !!
I then say, buy to the cheap price, or stay away.

This is what I support, sorry it's in Danish, but look anyway, look at the pictures, the hospital clowns makes the kids VERY happy, when they come = I'm very happy !!!!

https://danskehospitalsklovne.dk/
AllC34Me (01-18-2019)

Quick Reply: General Question About Free Parts