Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rightt turn signal not blinking

Old 01-18-2019, 02:47 PM
75MM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rightt turn signal not blinking

This sounds to strange but this is what happened and what I did to trouble shoot it. Ive never had any issues with the electrical or the lights since I bought it and I drive it all the time, But the other day the right turn signal on my red 75 came on but didn't blink. I saw the right front Passenger side marker light out and the socket was old and half melted, so got a new pigtail at the local carquest, it has a brown wire and a black wire. the wires on the car are brown and blue wire. I connected brown to brown black to blue.

Still didn't work. Noticed the passenger side parking light out also. The drivers side was working fine so took the bulb from it and put in the passenger side and they worked. Both parking light and side marker light came on.

Went and got some new bulbs and replaced the drivers side but wouldn't work, both parking light and side marker light not coming on. I took out the parking light bulb while the lights were on and the side marker light comes on Put it back in and it goes off.

Went and got new flashers, replaced them both. but didn't help. The new flashers had taller connector stops and don't push in all the way together like the other ones.
and the one under the passenger dash has a resistor looking part in the socket with the flasher with the two pink wires that wasn't connected to anything else, and has never been since Ive had it. does it need to be hooked up to anything? I attached a picture to show it and how the flasher doesn't fit together tight..

So now the passenger side works but the drivers side is out. and the left turn signal in the dash stays on with the switch in the middle, not flipped on. But if I flip the switch down to turn the left turn signal on,, the signal light on in the dash goes out and the parking light and side marker light come on not flashing, and the parking light is only half as bright as the passenger side parking light..,

When I push in the emergency flasher button on the steering column, the front marker and parking and tail lights all flash but not the rear marker lights. And for the last interesting note, when the emergency lights are flashing, the drivers side front parking light flashes on and off, while the passenger side one stays on and flashes brighter each blink.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

My next move is in hoping the auto supply store gave me the wrong bulbs and flashers and go somewhere else and get new ones again and replace them again, But will wait for any advice from here first. You all have been a great help to me keeping my car going.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:56 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

that disconnected part is a noise suppressor for the radio. Each end of the capacitor wires should be pushed into the connector with the two flasher prongs. If you have dual filiment bulbs pay attention to the little nubs on the side of the bulb, they must align with the proper groove in the socket.
The following users liked this post:
75MM (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:27 PM
75MM
Advanced

Thanks MelWff, Good to know its not a reason for my malfunction. Ill check the bulb placement again too.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:34 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 464 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21-'22

I had a similar issue. DUB here on CF helped me tremendously. I disconnected to the "harmonica" connector under the steering column and cleaned all of the connection terminals. Everything started working as it should.

Last edited by fastimes; 01-18-2019 at 09:35 PM.
75MM (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:39 PM
75MM
Advanced

Thanks fastimes, Ill go check mine too.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:31 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Make sure the bulbs are correct and inserted properly. Are thebrake lites working? Brightness on both sides correct. Flashers are current sensitive, importantthat that the correct bulbs are used. The bulbs you bought could be bad.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:43 PM
75MM
Advanced

Yes the brake lights are both bright and work good. everything exept the drivers front side marker and running parking light is out. I bought new bulbs and change them again. Ill check them again before I clean the connectors as fastimes suggested. I tried last night but couldn't fit under there. Ill try again tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:16 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

make sure you have a good ground on the front sockets. on regular cars they ground to the body they are mounted to. glass is a lousy conductor so everything has to have a ground path back to frame, engine and eventually battery neg.
75MM (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 06:54 PM
75MM
Advanced

Thanks derek. would you know where theyre connected to ground at? or should I just splice into the black wire and bolt it to the frame?
Old 01-21-2019, 04:26 PM
75MM
Advanced

That was it derek, The front ground behind the drivers side wheel on the body mount was rutsy and grimey. It works fine now with it all cleaned up. Although I did pretty much strip the screw hole out tightening it back up. Ill get a stainless nut and bolt and replace the screw, spray some Rust-oleum on it and should be good for another few years. Thank you so very much and thank all you guys for all your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Rightt turn signal not blinking

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rightt turn signal not blinking