Notices
C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Riding Tires

Old 02-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Erdle75

Default Best Riding Tires

I have a low mileage 75 convertible with Cragar rims and P265/50R15's that are low miles but very old. For safety reasons I'd like new tires and possibly new rims. Pondering going back to original rims and tires or modern rims and better riding tires. What would be the best rims/tires package to make it drive the best? It's not a show car but in very good condition.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:41 PM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,070 Times in 983 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Choices are limited in that size. Had coopers in that size they drove just fine, rims are irrelevant. New>old makes all the difference in the world.
(Mastercraft is the same thing)

Last edited by cuisinartvette; 02-09-2019 at 01:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cuisinartvette For This Useful Post:
Erdle75 (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Bikespace
CF Senior Member

The best will be 18" wheels with the correct offset and modern high-performance summer tires. Ask anyone who has them!

I have 15" YJ8 or N90 wheels on both cars, with 255/60R15 BFGs and Cooper Cobras. I'm happy with the retro look, and good enough performance. I'll get 18s when I'm ready to spring for the correct offset wheels.

Pictured: YJ8 wheels were first readily availible starting in 1976, but look great on any C3 (even better if you bother to polish them).

Last edited by Bikespace; 02-09-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Erdle75

Just moved to Reno/Sparks. Want to make sure our trips to Sacramento and beyond go smoothly and safely.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:58 PM
pgtr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Erdle75 View Post
I have a low mileage 75 convertible with Cragar rims and P265/50R15's that are low miles but very old. For safety reasons I'd like new tires and possibly new rims. Pondering going back to original rims and tires or modern rims and better riding tires. What would be the best rims/tires package to make it drive the best? It's not a show car but in very good condition.
Assuming your Crager rims are the same size as factory (15x8) - either is fine - won't really affect ride quality.

By best ride - I assume you are after a softer smooth ride minimizing rough or harsh surfaces coming through... If so - I would say just about any 15" tire tire these days is what I would call a basic 'highway radial' (not a 'performance' tire) and will likely be similar as to ride quality. The factory size tire for your car with OE (or aftermarket) 15x8 wheels is 225/70R15.
I'd go to tirerack and read the reviews for the tire size you want to go with and focus on major brands that are widely available like Michelin, Firestone, General, Goodyear etc. I then buy my tires locally. A local tire shop can also provide good feedback on tire ride also. Personally I avoid off brands and store brands and what not.

Not sure what you mean by "modern rims" but if you are referring to larger diameter rims with a lower profile performance tire... I'm not sure that is a good approach to a smoother ride.

Otherwise ensure your shocks and bushings are OK to help with ride.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:46 PM
Erdle75

Thanks for your input. By modern I meant some of the 18x7" rims via Eckler's. I was only driving it 300 miles a year or less, and my tires are 25+ years old. No signs of rot, but now that I've moved to a warmer climate I'll probably drive it more in NV than NY. Handling and Ride, wasn't sure how low profile compared to original 15x8 tires. My Cragar solid chrome rims are still in pretty good shape, but just pondered all my options instead of just new tires. I have BF Goodrich T/A P265/50R15 on it now. The car is mostly original except no catalytic converter, it's got pre-1975 side pipes, Ended the season at 41,757 miles on her.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:31 PM
jackson
CF Senior Member

71 w/ oe rallys. 235/60 15 JETZON REVENGER GT... same as cooper cobra, mastercraft
Old 02-10-2019, 12:46 PM
C3DeedlyDee
CF Senior Member

Modern rims and tires are going to be better. The low profile of modern tires are going to give you much sharper response, and with the abundance of summer rubber options, you can find really grippy tires for cheap. I'm in the same boat where I'm trying to decide between good rubber on 15" wheels or 17"/18" wheels and good rubber. Good rubber that fits on 15"s costs $$$, literally to the point where you can look at 17"/18" rims plus tires, and it will probably cost about the same. The only thing tugging at me for 15" is the look of fat tires, and whether I'm willing to spend the cash on just tires to keep that look.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Sunstroked
CF Senior Member

"The best will be 18" wheels with the correct offset and modern high-performance summer tires. Ask anyone who has them!"

Yeah I do have them, but its not necessarily the best application for you. It depends on what you are looking for. The taller sidewall 65 or 70 aspect ratio tire on a 15" wheel will give a more cushiony ride, but will tend to roll over in the corners, and not give you the tight cornering a sports car can give you. Yes, I said sports car! I had 225/55/17 tires on a 17x8 cragar rim that was quite a nice touring ride, it cornered well and is almost identical overall diameter to a stock 15" combo, it was still a little too much sidewall for what I was after. My latest wheel/tire combo is Michelin SS pilot sports in 275/40/18 on a 9x18 wheel. These ride very nice too, not at all harsh and actually grip the road extremely well! It just depends on what you are wanting to do and how much you want to spend. My car tends to get driven kind of hard, I built it to play. Except when Patty is with me, then its nice and easy. Lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunstroked For This Useful Post:
Bikespace (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Stev-o
CF Senior Member

I have BFG 255/60-15's on stock rally wheels and like the look and ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Riding Tires

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: