Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just bought my first Corvette.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 12:32 PM
Dazaa Rafae Aman
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts

Heres the trim tag, am I correct in assumig 420 suggests a 68/72 or a 74?

Old 02-13-2019, 12:49 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Congratulations!!!

I saw this one too and if I was in the market for another project, I was definitely going to go look at it.

Now if you are a purist, and like all original, this is not for you.

But, I thought for 10K, if you plan to get a FUN driver, modify it anyway, and IF the frame is not rusted and it runs and drives, pretty good bargain I say!

My suggestions:
1. Find a NY Corvette club and ask if someone C3 knowledgeable wants to get a $100 and go check it out for you before you send the big coins. Not looking for a NCRS all original Corvette, but want to know if the "bones" are good.
2. Lots C3's have spliced in fender sections, repaired fiberglass, etc, etc, supposedly original and obviously not original. My guess is somebody spliced in something to get the 73+ gills and chrome bumpers. Looking the backside would be informative (see 1.)
3. Look for RUST, everywhere, particularly windshield frame and ask if windshield has ever been replaced (see1.)
4. Check compression, fluids, operation, brakes likely bad and will need new MC/calipers from sitting. (see 1. again)
5. Check vin tag on windshield pillar, body trim tag, engine and trans tag and see if a legit story develops. Also check NYPD for stolen vin. (see 1. yet again)

Good luck and hope this might help!
The following users liked this post:
Dazaa Rafae Aman (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:52 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazaa Rafae Aman
The trim tag appears to be a 71. The 420 indicates Saddle colored leather interior, and the 983 indicates the original color was Brands Hatch Green, The H02 would indicate a March 2 build date (for the body).

Edit - the vin indicates a build date of approximately March 3, 1971, so that all lines up...

Edit 2: Those trim tag codes were also valid in 1969, and would indicate Saddle Vinyl interior and Fathom Green paint if it was a 69 tag. No other years used those codes.

Last edited by bradleyb66; 02-13-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:09 PM
Auggievf
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice! Loving the red on black... I'm in the middle of converting my red/saddle to red/black. The pics of yours really made me happy with my choice...

Best of luck with your new project. This forum will be an endless supply of knowledge if you ask and listen. The professionals here have helped me every step of my restomod process and I wouldn't have been able to do most of what I have done without their help.

My suggestion, get a copy if the AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) for your car. It's probably the second biggest source of information for me.

Looking forward to more posts!
Old 02-13-2019, 01:13 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default my take,

My take:
door tag will not tell you year:
420 is saddle leather interior
983 is Brands Hatch Green
H02 is Mar 02 body build date (I think)

194371S111171, the 71 before the "S" is for 1971. Approximate birthday 194371S111171: March 3, 1971
https://www.c3registry.com/index.php
Not in the C3 registry

Hope this helps, do some digging on internet, to learn more.

Last edited by 20mercury; 02-13-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:44 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Received 604 Likes on 295 Posts

The frame doesn’t look like it’s been coated with anything to me. Doesn’t necessarily mean the frame is bad but I think I would ask for some better photos of the bottom of the car before sending the money.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:54 PM
T VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Looks like a good project for you. For the price and what the car is I would just fix it up a little and have fun with it. Don't waste the time or money to make it a show car as it would be cheaper to just buy one. Drive it like you stole it and have a blast!!
20mercury (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 02:31 PM
M4A3E2
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bradleyb66
The trim tag appears to be a 71. The 420 indicates Saddle colored leather interior, and the 983 indicates the original color was Brands Hatch Green, The H02 would indicate a March 2 build date (for the body).

Edit - the vin indicates a build date of approximately March 3, 1971, so that all lines up...

Edit 2: Those trim tag codes were also valid in 1969, and would indicate Saddle Vinyl interior and Fathom Green paint if it was a 69 tag. No other years used those codes.
Could mean the trim tag isn't legit then. This car is a weird one.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:42 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

That VIN tag looks too dang rusty to me. You need to get a better look at that thing.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:49 PM
PaPaPork
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, i'm going to wait for the seller to send a pic of the trim tag before sending the money over, I don't mind if it's a 71 with a few incorrect parts but if it's a 77 that has had chrome bumpers fitted i'm out of this sale since it's not as described.

Actually if its a later car converted to chrome its not a bad deal.either- conversion like that by a decent shop would be big bucks!

I actually had the same plan as you (i was 25yo) but half your budget... so i went with a 79.

Ps why do you insist on monza headlights? The car already has them go with FIA lights - lot more period correct. Especially with l88 flares
Old 02-13-2019, 03:35 PM
Dazaa Rafae Aman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PaPaPork
Actually if its a later car converted to chrome its not a bad deal.either- conversion like that by a decent shop would be big bucks!

I actually had the same plan as you (i was 25yo) but half your budget... so i went with a 79.

Ps why do you insist on monza headlights? The car already has them go with FIA lights - lot more period correct. Especially with l88 flares
Yeh i'm sold on the bodywork even with it's quirks. I honestly think the monza headlights look god awful and love the pop up originals, looks like i'm going to be spending close to a 1k on a pair of them along with an electric motor conversion since all the vacuum stuff is missing. Might look in to the FIA lights but i'm not sold on them yet, they do look nicer than the monzas however. Any pics of your 79?
Old 02-13-2019, 03:36 PM
Dazaa Rafae Aman
Burning Brakes

I noticed that, but it only looks like surface rust. i'm reaching out to the NY corvette group on fb to see if anyone can check the car out for me before I finish the payment. If the metal is all solid and the engine runs good then i'm happy.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:37 PM
Dazaa Rafae Aman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by T VETTE
Looks like a good project for you. For the price and what the car is I would just fix it up a little and have fun with it. Don't waste the time or money to make it a show car as it would be cheaper to just buy one. Drive it like you stole it and have a blast!!
That's exactly the plan, tear up the streets of London for as long as I can afford to keep the gas tank full
20mercury (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 04:39 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Dazaa;
Congratulations on becoming a C3 addict!
After hearing about your skill level and goals I think its a good project for you. You could drive it fairly quickly, and modify it as you go.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:41 PM
PaPaPork
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any pics of your 79?
Outside its still stock, been 9 years since i got it but my cash reserves went to keep it on the road. Then i got hit with a divorce, and then the diff blew up. So car has been sitting on jackstands for 4 years (I still own the car and the garage) Not being able to affort a built diff i decided to get a loan so now i have a new diff! Hopefully car will be back on the road this year.

also please put some money aside for an overdrive trans! It was quite shocking to me how bad my car was without overdrive. With 4.11s it was ubnbearable at 60mph! the noise, and the miles per galon! In "Yroup" this swap will pay for.itself with fuel savings!

Back in 2014 i worked for a medical electronics manufacturer called Plexus in Buffalo Grove IL, we had an (unofficial) corvette parking area

My avatar is the engine from my car and you can search my older threads for more pics.

Best of luck bruh!

Last edited by PaPaPork; 02-13-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:19 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

What I don't like is if this is a 77 or so car is had to Chrome bumper conversion, which I don't have a problem with why does it have a 71 Vin number on it? This could be a 77 card that is stolen with the Chrome bumper conversion and the 71 Vin tag. And maybe that's why he so hard on all ready for export in his add. Because it's not going to be so noticeable once it's in a different country with the Atlantic ocean in between new owner and the guy looking for his car. The turn signal/windshield wipers/high beam low beam switch is 77 only also. That might be something to try to get a close up picture of. And since it is screwy setup that is fraught with problems, nobody is going to retro fit that 77 tersely will switch and steering column into an earlier car. Well maybe not nobody but it would be unlikely and there would still be probably the remains or at least the wiring of the high beam dimmer switch on the floorboard.

Last edited by derekderek; 02-13-2019 at 06:21 PM.
carriljc (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:13 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

I agree with derekderek...
This whole thing is iffy. It's not adding up. Don't buy it until somebody looks at it. I'd do a theft check also. Weird.

Originally Posted by derekderek
What I don't like is if this is a 77 or so car is had to Chrome bumper conversion, which I don't have a problem with why does it have a 71 Vin number on it? This could be a 77 card that is stolen with the Chrome bumper conversion and the 71 Vin tag. And maybe that's why he so hard on all ready for export in his add. Because it's not going to be so noticeable once it's in a different country with the Atlantic ocean in between new owner and the guy looking for his car. The turn signal/windshield wipers/high beam low beam switch is 77 only also. That might be something to try to get a close up picture of. And since it is screwy setup that is fraught with problems, nobody is going to retro fit that 77 tersely will switch and steering column into an earlier car. Well maybe not nobody but it would be unlikely and there would still be probably the remains or at least the wiring of the high beam dimmer switch on the floorboard.

Get notified of new replies

To I just bought my first Corvette.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:02 AM
Dazaa Rafae Aman
Burning Brakes

A stolen car with a different vin? Really? for the sake of 8750 bucks...hardly seems like it's worth the effort. How can I do a theft check? If anyone is in the Brooklyn area and wants 100 dollars to go and check out the car for me please send a message.
Tom Larsen (03-26-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 06:26 AM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This does not look like it has been coated with POR-15.

That crossmember looks like my frame did before I stripped and painted it.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:25 PM
Dazaa Rafae Aman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Domobomb
This does not look like it has been coated with POR-15.

That crossmember looks like my frame did before I stripped and painted it.

Out of curiosity what condition was your frame in when you stripped it?

Quick Reply: I just bought my first Corvette.