Notices
C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1973 aluminum wheel option

 
Old 03-27-2019, 06:25 PM
  #21  
emccomas
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
emccomas's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Madison - just west of Huntsville AL
Posts: 29,805
Received 686 Likes on 392 Posts
Default

L-46man

It is actually simpler than that.

What I am asking is if a real window sticker (a window sticker that is determined to be authentic) and lists the YJ8 option is sufficient documentation that the car in question originally came with the YJ8 wheels.

Lets say for the sake of argument that the window sticker is the real deal, and the whelles on the car are 100% correct 1973 YJ8 wheels.

You may recall that in 1973 the YJ8 option specified 5 aluminum wheels, so the spare will also be a YJ8 wheel. That wheel is available for inspection / judging.

NCRS says that any 1973 presented for judging for YJ8 wheels must have "sufficient documentation" that the car being presented actually had those wheels installed at the factory. I was asking what NCRS considers sufficient documentation.

Now, if I had a 73 that was documented as built for a GM executive, and has the original tank sticker, and has the original window sticker, and has photos of the car when delivered, all indicating that the YJ8 wheels were on the car, that would probably be sufficient.

Unfortunately, most of the time we do not get that lucky with documentation, etc.

The reason I say GM executive is that I think the car would need to have some sort of "excuse / reason" for having wheels on it that are not approved for production.

The one car that I know FOR SURE was delivered with the 1973 YJ8 wheel is the 1974 454 coupe that Zora Duntov took with him into retirement. But I have never seen a 1973 Corvette with even a hint of original YJ8 wheels.

And yes, I do think this was / is a good discussion.
emccomas is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 09:09 PM
  #22  
Kid Vette
CF Senior Member
 
Kid Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2003
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,649
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts
Default

Here's all 4 of them.



Kid Vette is offline  
The following 4 users liked this post by Kid Vette:
dmaxx3500 (03-27-2019), Greg (03-27-2019), PainfullySlow (04-21-2019), patg84 (04-21-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:45 PM
  #23  
Greg
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Greg's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 1999
Location: Palm Springs, CA.
Posts: 4,306
Received 426 Likes on 289 Posts

Default

Greg is online now  
Old 03-27-2019, 10:20 PM
  #24  
Bikespace
CF Senior Member
 
Bikespace's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,711
Received 264 Likes on 247 Posts
Default



It turns out that YJ8s look great on any C3 with a vinyl front bumper.
Bikespace is offline  
The following users liked this post:
patg84 (04-21-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 02:21 PM
  #25  
L-46man
CF Senior Member
 
L-46man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Location: PHX AZ
Posts: 756
Received 158 Likes on 130 Posts
Default

Love this. JV04 thanks..overthinking it.

Along the lines of this thread;

Yes, the company line has always been 'porosity' as the problem. But it was actually deeper than that...Weren't the two 'editions' of the YJ8 made by two different manufacturers? Western wheel and Kelsey-Hayes.

As I've been given to understand, manufacturing defects, including porosity was the reason the Chevy 'took the contract back' and gave it to K-H. Besides a 25 years of collaboration between the companies

As an Engineer I have done this myself...switched from one Mfg. to another because of incessant quality problems. In my industry..2% reject rate will get some big scrutiny. Six-Sigma (which wasn't followed then) basically says 'defects at 4ea. in 10,000.'

1 have a 1975 set.

Unkahal
L-46man is offline  
Old 03-29-2019, 07:30 PM
  #26  
emccomas
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
emccomas's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Madison - just west of Huntsville AL
Posts: 29,805
Received 686 Likes on 392 Posts
Default

The 1973 YJ8 wheels were manufactured by American Racing, and porosity wasn't the big issue with the test failures.

I saw some defects on one of the wheels on Zora's 74 at the National Corvette Museum. It was like the wheel was coming apart in layers.
emccomas is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 01:46 AM
  #27  
patg84
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 48
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

"What would ya'll say if I told you that the Chevrolet lab test results do NOT specify porosity problems as the reason for cancelling the wheel option in 1973, which is the most often claimed reason for the cancellation."


So what was the real reason according to the documents?
patg84 is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 07:16 AM
  #28  
PainfullySlow
CF Senior Member
 
PainfullySlow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: Tolland CT
Posts: 1,160
Received 296 Likes on 194 Posts
Default

Every time I read a NCRS based thread I am glad that I chose to go restomod , I am clearly not cut out for all this heated debate.

Anyway, to answer the original question:

Just so I am clear in my understanding: There is a known good window sticker that shows the option, and the car physically has the option installed when we look at it?

If as you say we are taking that the window sticker is real, why would you not take the window sticker as proof of the option? The window sticker is a factory generated piece of paper based off of the build sheet for the car. If that does not qualify as 'sufficient documentation' then I am not sure what would.

Let's put that in a different context:

"Sir, I see that you have an official birth certificate. I also can see that you are standing in front of me so you are a person however I am just not convinced that you are a real person." What??

Last edited by PainfullySlow; 04-21-2019 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Came out too harsh
PainfullySlow is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 08:46 AM
  #29  
Paul Borowski
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Paul Borowski's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Massillon,Ohio USA
Posts: 15,786
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Default

.....here's another scenario. What if you truly had one of the real 1973 Corvettes that had the YJ8's and you had the original window sticker, but the car no longer had it's YJ8 wheels and had the standard AZ rallys on it. If it was being judged at an NCRS show, how much of a deduction would it be for NOT having the original wheels?
Paul Borowski is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 09:36 AM
  #30  
emccomas
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
emccomas's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Madison - just west of Huntsville AL
Posts: 29,805
Received 686 Likes on 392 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by patg84 View Post
"What would ya'll say if I told you that the Chevrolet lab test results do NOT specify porosity problems as the reason for cancelling the wheel option in 1973, which is the most often claimed reason for the cancellation."


So what was the real reason according to the documents?
Repeated stress testing revealed structural defects in the wheels.

I am going to write that article for The Restorer like I promise John Amgwert 20 years ago.
emccomas is offline  
The following users liked this post:
patg84 (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 10:26 AM
  #31  
7T1vette
CF Senior Member
 
7T1vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Crossville TN
Posts: 30,601
Received 1,061 Likes on 955 Posts
Default

If the parts on the car are appropriate for the production build date, NCRS wouldn't deduct any points for 'originality'...maybe for condition, but not for being the "correct" part. At least, that's my understanding. If that were not the case, there would be MANY Top Flight cars which would never have received an award. NCRS does not have any documentation on the factory configuration per build sheet for a specific vehicle (other than that provided by the car owner for that car). Basically, if it "appears" to be correct, it is judged to be correct.

Correct configuration rally wheels on a car which was originally built with YJ8 wheels should not receive a deduction.
7T1vette is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 09:04 PM
  #32  
Kid Vette
CF Senior Member
 
Kid Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2003
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,649
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by emccomas View Post
Repeated stress testing revealed structural defects in the wheels.
Structural defects such as porosity (voids)?
Kid Vette is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:05 AM
  #33  
patg84
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 48
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

That's what I was thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that the early production YJ8's in '76 were heavier than the later YJ8's. So obv based on that there are different ratios of alloys to choose from when casting.

Also "Kid Vette" did your photos come from here? Wish car and driver had larger photos lol
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/
patg84 is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 09:01 AM
  #34  
Kid Vette
CF Senior Member
 
Kid Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2003
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,649
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by patg84 View Post
Also "Kid Vette" did your photos come from here? Wish car and driver had larger photos lol
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/
Yes, that's where I got the pictures. A couple excerpts from the article, "In September, even before the new models were introduced to the public, a van containing four new Corvettes arrived at C/D's Long Island proving grounds, New York National Speedway." "There is another 35 pounds to be saved compared to the standard equipment steel wheels with hub caps and trim rings if you go for the optional cast aluminum wheels. The new Corvette wheels are eight inches wide, as are the steel ones they replace, but the weight reduction, particularly when it is all unsprung, gives this option a functional importance rather than just flashy styling. The wheels are not made by Chevrolet but rather by American Racing Equipment in California, the company famous for the original "American Mags." The Corvette wheels, however, will not have the corrosion problems of real magnesium wheels because aluminum is all but indifferent to road salts. Duntov, based on his experience with optional aluminum wheels on 1963 and 1964 Corvettes, is confident of that."

Note these cars have regular Michigan license plates and inspection stickers and were driven on the street.





I'll let you draw your own conclusions.
Kid Vette is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 09:51 AM
  #35  
emccomas
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
emccomas's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Madison - just west of Huntsville AL
Posts: 29,805
Received 686 Likes on 392 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kid Vette View Post
Structural defects such as porosity (voids)?
No, structural defects such as cracking and metal "pealing" off of the wheel.

Somewhere I have a picture (a real hard copy picture) of one of the wheels on Zora's 74 (which is now in the National Corvette Museum) with a slice of metal pealing off of the surface of the wheel. The darn thing was still holding air at the time. I took the photo in 1990, when the car was owned by Les Bieri of Hampton, VA. Les had just bought the car from Zora, in a deal facilitated by Dan Gale, for $100 large.

If Les Bieri's name sounds familiar, it might be because he was one of the 3 owners of 1953 Corvette serial #3, when it was purchased from Ed Thiebaud. Three guys went into the deal together (Les Bieri, Howard Kirsch, and John Amgwert). The car was restored by them, and I think Howard Kirsch bought out the interests of Les Bieri and John Amgwert.

Anyway, I was living in the Norfolk / Hampton area at the time, and Les was kind enough to let me come over a photograph the YJ8 wheels on the car. He even let me take two of the wheels off of the car so I could photograph the back side markings as well.
emccomas is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:36 PM
  #36  
firstgenaddict
CF Senior Member
 
firstgenaddict's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Posts: 241
Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by emccomas View Post
No, structural defects such as cracking and metal "pealing" off of the wheel.

Somewhere I have a picture (a real hard copy picture) of one of the wheels on Zora's 74 (which is now in the National Corvette Museum) with a slice of metal pealing off of the surface of the wheel. The darn thing was still holding air at the time. I took the photo in 1990, when the car was owned by Les Bieri of Hampton, VA. Les had just bought the car from Zora, in a deal facilitated by Dan Gale, for $100 large.

If Les Bieri's name sounds familiar, it might be because he was one of the 3 owners of 1953 Corvette serial #3, when it was purchased from Ed Thiebaud. Three guys went into the deal together (Les Bieri, Howard Kirsch, and John Amgwert). The car was restored by them, and I think Howard Kirsch bought out the interests of Les Bieri and John Amgwert.

Anyway, I was living in the Norfolk / Hampton area at the time, and Les was kind enough to let me come over a photograph the YJ8 wheels on the car. He even let me take two of the wheels off of the car so I could photograph the back side markings as well.

What you are describing is either contamination/alloy selection OR too rapid cooling/not correctly designed molds causing stresses in the casting - That's from the actual aluminum pour or forging.
firstgenaddict is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1973 aluminum wheel option


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: