C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 sloppy power windows - advice wanted.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:05 AM
wadenelson
CF Senior Member

Recieved 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Default C3 sloppy power windows - advice wanted.

Who can give me the lowdown on C3 power window repair?

Mine go up and down, and after lubing, a little faster, but...

Biggest problem is they're sloppy. The top of the glass will move in and outboard over an inch. Meaning it won't seal at all.

Rolling down the freeway there's no point in even rolling the windows up. I get a gap that acts like a scoop and get windblown worse than if the window is down.

(Hmm, no wonder the seller took me for a test drive with the t-tops out and windows down, LOL)

What's worn out? The nylon rollers that go in the tracks? I'm trying to decide what all parts I need to order

Is it worthwhile to just replace the rollers or...given the labor, should I install in a new regulator, the whole 9 yards. Any benefit to replacing the regulator itself, or just clean & lube the old one?

I've watched a couple of Youtube videos on doing this. Not sure how we lived before Youtube, what a blessing!

Questions:

Some owners report regulator being riveted in... am I likely to face this?

What stops window at the top and bottom? End of regulator travel???

Tips, advice, rude remarks???

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2019, 01:14 PM
F22
CF Senior Member

Recieved 144 Likes on 126 Posts

First, try adjusting it. There are numerous bolts all over the inner door to adjust the window in a wide variety of ways. If you have to replace it, replace the whole thing, if you can. Riveting the regulator in was a PITA (at least to me). In fact, pulling the whole thing was a PITA, but that's our babies and goes along with the territory. If you're going to do this, I'd highly advise having the Factory Service Manual for your year and take a lot of photos. While you're there, now is the time, to replace the inner and outer window seals and felts in the door, if they are worn or old. The door glass is going to come out and there is a way to do it and believe it or not, you should have power to the window, because you'll have to manuever the window, either up or down to get to the various bolts and nuts holding the glass and the regulator in place.
The following users liked this post:
Techoca (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 01:17 PM
F22
CF Senior Member

Top adjustment (In and out).
The following 2 users liked this post by F22:
Techoca (02-23-2019), wadenelson (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 01:25 PM
F22
CF Senior Member

Rear door glass adjustment bolts

The following 2 users liked this post by F22:
Techoca (02-23-2019), wadenelson (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 06:36 PM
F22
CF Senior Member

OH and the nylon rollers do NOT come out of the tracks, except for the end of the channel. You have to get the bolts out of the glass then slide the nylon roller and it's little post, out one side or the other. My rollers were totally thrashed. Putting in the window, you put the rollers in last and manever them from either side into the holes in the glass. Much easier. The opening on the back side of the door opposite the outside door handle is there to remove the very rearward bolt or nylon roller. and those two holes are for getting to the center ones. It i not easy, by any means, but doable with patience and thinking.. Note that the rear glass bolt is in an adjustable slot and is vertically adjustable as well.

Techoca (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 09:56 PM
Scottd
CF Senior Member

Recieved 53 Likes on 51 Posts

[QUOTE=wadenelson;1598933257]Who can give me the lowdown on C3 power window repair?

Biggest problem is they're sloppy. The top of the glass will move in and outboard over an inch. Meaning it won't seal at all.

HAHAHAHA!!!! I thought I was the only guy with this problem! Ive replaced seals, Ive played with all the adjustments and I just made matters worse.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:00 PM
F22
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE=Scottd;1598936947]
Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post
Who can give me the lowdown on C3 power window repair?

HAHAHAHA!!!! I thought I was the only guy with this problem! Ive replaced seals, Ive played with all the adjustments and I just made matters worse.
That is awful. All those adjustments do something and I've done both power windows, but admittedly, it took a lot of careful observation about what did what. I had a C4 and those are infamous for power window problems, as they die, most readily. They are spindly little bastards that rely a lot on the door structure for strength. Drivers side, twice, passenger side once. As far as the C3 goes, the FSM, is a pretty good guide, specifically, Section 1B-13, Body, Door Window Adjustment. It does work and it does take a lot of patience, that's for sure and careful observation.

Last edited by F22; 02-23-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:05 PM
F22
CF Senior Member

Old 02-23-2019, 11:06 PM
F22
CF Senior Member

Old 02-23-2019, 11:18 PM
F22
CF Senior Member

The E bolt is down inside the door, looking down from the top. It is the small middle circle, in the illustration. You don't touch the B bolts, C bolts, H bolts or A bolts. Those are different adjustments. The two C bolts are actually right in between the two D bolts and are responsible for the glass to front pillar adjustment and the third C bolt loosens the vertical guide at the bottom and is the pivot point at the bottom of the door. If you look carefully at C, it's actually changing the whole tilt of the glass by moving the top of the channel either fore or aft. A bolts are for the overall tilt of the glass. B bolts are for the stops.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:49 PM
F22
CF Senior Member

This is the top of the door, specifically the front. The two inside bolts are the "C" bolts and control the gap of the front edge of the glass to the pillar. You position the glass FIRST and then you tighten the bolts. This is true for many of the adjustments. Glass first, tighten bolts second. The outer two bolts are the "D" bolts and there's an equivalent pair on the rear of the door along the top, right where it curves up by the outer door handle. DON'T FORGET THE "E" Bolt! It's part of the D Bolts adjustment and is buried inside the door and you can see it from the top.

Last edited by F22; 02-24-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:59 PM
F22
CF Senior Member

lakerider57 (03-07-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 07:46 AM
Rescue Rogers
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 724 Likes on 660 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

The AIM has a good amount of info. On the floppiness of it, isnt there an anti rattle felt and a window guide on the pillar that prevents this? I have a 68 and they didnt come with these parts but I see them in the parts cataogs
Old 02-24-2019, 08:51 AM
Street Rat
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 304 Likes on 283 Posts

Great information F22

I wish I had all of that knowledge prior to rebuilding and adjusting my windows.

Craig
Old 03-06-2019, 11:06 PM
chazde3
CF Senior Member

Recieved 184 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm starting on this adjustment process on a set of 76 coupe doors that I put on my 68 vert. I have the vert glass installed but can't seem to adjust it any further aft on the driver side. The gap is around .25-.38 of an inch right now to the front edge of the hardtop. Any advice?

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: