Sponsored by:

What is it worth, 1969 restomod

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 12:36 PM
lurch59
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default What is it worth, 1969 restomod

People say nice restomods rarely come on the market, so the value is difficult to evaluate...I've been given a half done muscle car, so too many cars to drive/enjoy and I'm trying to get a value on my 69. The basics are 496 big block, AFR heads, 690 hp, tko 600 and Tom's rear end. It also has new paint, Vintage Air, new interior with leather Corbeau seats, and the list goes on. It is a California car with original frame and would consider it a frame on restoration. I'm not good at loading pics but will link to a website with a few pics if I am not stepping on any rules. Input please, and thanks in advance

Lurch
The following 2 users liked this post by lurch59:
Akroland (02-27-2019), Art17 (03-02-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 01:34 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Without detailed pictures.....could be worthless! (sounds harsh...but I've seen too many Ruined Corvettes.)

Some resto-mods are atrocious
Some are so tasteless as to turn off buyers.
Some have had the bodies cut/flared and generally ruined.

A few years ago a dealership asked me for a 'value' on a totally torn-up, flared-terribly, wrong engine, sick looking seats, digital dashboard 1963 SPLIT WINDOW.

I told the dealership....IT'S PARTS. and offered no value.

Having said all that and having spent DAYS at the auctions in SCTS/AZ some Resto-mods done wonderfully got 'all the money'....depends on taste/color etc.

Unka FESTUS! LOL
Old 02-27-2019, 01:47 PM
lurch59
Pro

Well of course what you say is true, but assume a well done tasteful restomod. It won second place in it's class in a car show a couple of years ago. I might as well post the reference to pictures and hope I'm not breaking any forum rules. Look on the Custom Image Corvette website, projects tab second page at the bottom. It's the yellow 69. I'm certainly willing to post more pictures as I have the process documented with receipts and photos....once I figure out how to do so!

Lurch
Old 02-27-2019, 01:55 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Lurch....so it's not the 'Corvette Summer' car! LOL. That went through B-J and got BUPKES! saw it and it was a BONDO-Can with wheels on it!

Follow the posting instructions....why would anybody complain....your asking for Value...not selling it on this forum?

Unka FESTUS.... okay I'll take the light bulb out of my mouth!
The following users liked this post:
lurch59 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 03:13 PM
lurch59
Pro

Originally Posted by L-46man
Lurch....so it's not the 'Corvette Summer' car! LOL. That went through B-J and got BUPKES! saw it and it was a BONDO-Can with wheels on it!

Follow the posting instructions....why would anybody complain....your asking for Value...not selling it on this forum?

Unka FESTUS.... okay I'll take the light bulb out of my mouth!
I guess I'm ok because it's not officially for sale, not like I'm putting "best offer" with no price mentioned. I don't think it's worth what I want out of it, to be honest. I don't need the money, just too much going on in my life at the moment. It looks stock from the outside with aftermarket wheels and Hooker side pipes. It is Daytona yellow but has 4 clear coats over it, so better than factory paint job. So I believe a tasteful, not gawdy restomod, taken down to the fiberglass and painted right. It should appeal to the masses but it is very fast and strong, so there are likely not many buyers. Then again, there aren't many quality restomods either! If I were to sell it, I would start on this forum.

Last edited by lurch59; 02-27-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Forgot a sentence
Old 02-27-2019, 04:01 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by lurch59
It looks stock from the outside with aftermarket wheels and Hooker side pipes. It is Daytona yellow but has 4 clear coats over it, so better than factory paint job. So I believe a tasteful, not gawdy restomod, taken down to the fiberglass and painted right. It should appeal to the masses but it is very fast and strong, so there are likely not many buyers. Then again, there aren't many quality restomods either! If I were to sell it, I would start on this forum.

I like it!!

Last edited by 71 Green 454; 02-27-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:10 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Clean looking restromod. It would be helpful to see pictures of the interior and under hood, but as a (non-expert) I think it might bring mid 40ish from the right buyer. Again this is just an amateur opinion, and I do not have a lot of facts except for a few photos.

Last edited by crawfish333; 02-27-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:27 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Lurch...GREAT looking car that should bring in the buyers. Love the Panasports!

The way I get a value for my cars is 'let the buyers tell me!'

Post the car with as many detailed pix from all interesting angles.
Write a VERY good description.
GIVE the Provenance.
Post the price $5000 higher than you'll be happy with.
Read the feedbacks.

Post on CraigsXXXX.......this will take care of the locals
Post on a number of sites including this one.

Drive the buyers to you.
Despite my 45 years messing around with C-3's...putting a number on this is very difficult....It's WANT and DESIRE and NOSTALGIA....
But guessing would put me at $50k.

You did a nice job SIR! Very best of luck!

Unkahal
lurch59 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 06:00 PM
Prostreeter1
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

People say nice restomods rarely come on the market, so the value is difficult to evaluate...I've been given a half done muscle car, so too many cars to drive/enjoy and I'm trying to get a value on my 69. The basics are 496 big block, AFR heads, 690 hp, tko 600 and Tom's rear end. It also has new paint, Vintage Air, new interior with leather Corbeau seats, and the list goes on. It is a California car with original frame and would consider it a frame on restoration. I'm not good at loading pics but will link to a website with a few pics if I am not stepping on any rules. Input please, and thanks in advance

Lurch
if it's the yellow one posted above and you really don't tell us too much about the suspension, looks like a stock interior other than aftermarket seats, no pictures of the engine bay or undercarraige . What works and what doesn't? It looks nice. With what I know and can see the car is worth 25k. If you can post additional pictures I might change my mind.

If it was a roadster add 10k.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:03 PM
Zealot
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

I've been daydreaming about a 69 for a while and watching the asking prices. I won't be in the market for a few years until my wife finishes nursing school, so please don't think I'm trying to burst your bubble, but there are a lot of 69's sitting in the high 30's+ range right now, and they seem to have been on the market for at least the last 2-4 months. Depending on how quickly you want to sell and how good the details of the car are, I would expect to walk away with more than the mid 30's. Price it higher of course, but that is just my guess based on the asking prices I've seen. Details on your car may move it higher or lower of course.

Z
The following 2 users liked this post by Zealot:
Cool change (02-28-2019), wadenelson (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 06:42 PM
lurch59
Pro

Thanks for transferring the photos....I'll try and get some more posted soon!
Old 02-27-2019, 06:44 PM
lurch59
Pro

Thanks for finding and posting the pics! I'll try to get some more on here...
Old 02-27-2019, 06:56 PM
wadenelson
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

The term "restomod" gives you a clue to valuation.

Those parts and pieces that are beautifully restored hold or gain value. Paint & body, interior, undercarriage, etc.

Investments in mods --- bigger motors, swapped trans, turbos, rear ends .... either add zero or detract from value, versus. a survivor or a true restoration. You NEVER get the money you put in modding a car back out. And that can be substantial.

Might be a few exceptions to that rule, everyone likes Wildwood brakes, side pipes probably add some value.

The only hope a seller has is finding a buyer whose idea of the ideal "restomod" is exactly the same as theirs. Me, I'd like a C3 with a 383 stroker and a 5 speed. Anything else, no thanks.

Open market I'd guess this sells for mid 30's. Find the right buyer, maybe 45. But it might take awhile.

That's my opinion, sorry if you don't like it.

Last edited by wadenelson; 02-27-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:57 PM
lurch59
Pro

Originally Posted by Zealot
I've been daydreaming about a 69 for a while and watching the asking prices. I won't be in the market for a few years until my wife finishes nursing school, so please don't think I'm trying to burst your bubble, but there are a lot of 69's sitting in the high 30's+ range right now, and they seem to have been on the market for at least the last 2-4 months. Depending on how quickly you want to sell and how good the details of the car are, I would expect to walk away with more than the mid 30's. Price it higher of course, but that is just my guess based on the asking prices I've seen. Details on your car may move it higher or lower of course.

Z
I have a hard time finding any restomods with an upgraded trans and diff. The TKO 600 done right runs about 6200 in parts, before installation. All the Tom's parts for the BEST set up is probably close to 10 grand. If you see a nice one like mine with these upgrades for mid 30's let me know, I might just buy it and have 2!

Last edited by lurch59; 02-27-2019 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling error
Metalhead140 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 07:26 PM
Prostreeter1
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

I have a hard time finding any restomods with an upgraded trans and diff. The TKO 600 done right runs about 6200 in parts, before installation. All the Tom's parts for the BEST set up is probably close to 10 grand. If you see a nice one like mine with these upgrades for mid 30's let me know, I might just but it and have 2!
I've turned down 55k for mine. I have more into it than that though.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Tripower delight
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Me too! I like the wheels got the same ones on my car, My motor not as big and my tranny not a 5spd or 6spd, but that's coming in the very near future,. beautiful car
Old 02-27-2019, 09:27 PM
lurch59
Pro

Originally Posted by wadenelson
The term "restomod" gives you a clue to valuation.

Those parts and pieces that are beautifully restored hold or gain value. Paint & body, interior, undercarriage, etc.

Investments in mods --- bigger motors, swapped trans, turbos, rear ends .... either add zero or detract from value, versus. a survivor or a true restoration. You NEVER get the money you put in modding a car back out. And that can be substantial.

Might be a few exceptions to that rule, everyone likes Wildwood brakes, side pipes probably add some value.

The only hope a seller has is finding a buyer whose idea of the ideal "restomod" is exactly the same as theirs. Me, I'd like a C3 with a 383 stroker and a 5 speed. Anything else, no thanks.

Open market I'd guess this sells for mid 30's. Find the right buyer, maybe 45. But it might take awhile.

That's my opinion, sorry if you don't like it.
The "market is what it is", I'm not going to be offended by anyones' opinion. I'm going to disagree a bit about what adds value, this car was a 300 hp 4 speed. It's now a mid 10 second quarter mile big block that runs on pump gas with a bullet proof drive train. I think it was the perfect car to restomod and doubt it would be worth more restored with the original drive train, there are just too many of them. It's ok if you turn out to be correct, that means I just keep it!

Last edited by lurch59; 02-27-2019 at 09:40 PM. Reason: clarity

Get notified of new replies

To What is it worth, 1969 restomod

Old 02-27-2019, 10:24 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

It's definitely worth more with those modifications. Very few cars with those modifications come up for sale, because mostly people only spend that sort of money on cars that they're going to keep.

I can't comment on your market in the US, but that would be a high $ car over here.
lurch59 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 11:24 PM
Zealot
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a hard time finding any restomods with an upgraded trans and diff. The TKO 600 done right runs about 6200 in parts, before installation. All the Tom's parts for the BEST set up is probably close to 10 grand. If you see a nice one like mine with these upgrades for mid 30's let me know, I might just buy it and have 2!
I don't see anything exactly like yours either. Not sure anybody who does a restomod would ever be the same as someone else's. Here is what I see for restomods:
https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d...798013425.html - Nice, but has been on the ads for the last 6+ months
https://westslope.craigslist.org/cto...828275723.html - Just noticed this one today, but I'm not a convertible guy so I haven't been looking for them.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...807541379.html - Another extremely nice one. Been on the net for a few months though. I want to say it was initially advertised at $45K. If I had the money this is probably the one I would buy.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...799355622.html - Out of my price range, so I wasn't really looking at it. Not sure how long it has been hanging around.
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ct...815275339.html - Semi-interested in this. Mostly due to price point.

If you want to get rid of yours for low - mid 20's around the middle of June, I might be in a position to do something stupid with my money.

If you don't, well, I don't blame you a bit. Beautiful car. Good luck.

Z
Old 02-27-2019, 11:31 PM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

No matter what you do, you can not please everyone.
some like their vettes stock
some like them wild .
just put your price on it and see if it sells
bfit

Quick Reply: What is it worth, 1969 restomod