C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I totally insane

 
Old 03-05-2019, 10:49 PM
  #1  
jv04
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jv04's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Madison - just west of Huntsville AL
Posts: 9,810
Thanked 631 Times in 355 Posts
Default Am I totally insane

OK, slightly off topic, but still revolves around C3s of some sort.

I have a beautiful, 2 owner 2004 Corvette convertible, Millennium Yellow with Oak interior, 21K original miles, never damaged, all options (auto trans).

The only non original parts are the tires (new Michelin Pilots), the battery, and a new convertible top (the rear window just came loose from the original top).

Beautiful car that rides and drives like a new car.

Now for the insanity....

I am seriously considering trading this car (either up / down depending on the trade) for either a compete, running, good solid driver condition:

1. Ferrari Daytona replica built on a C3 - year does not matter
2. Mako Shark Corvette built on a C3 - year does not matter, but I want the coupe version, not a convertible

I am not looking for, nor will I consider a Daytona or Mako that needs considerable work. I am looking for a car that is pretty much ready to go as is (nice paint, nice interior, running, driving, everything works). I would POSSIBLY consider a car that just needs paint (everything else is done) ONLY because I could have the car painted the color of my choice. The trade value would have to reflect this.

So, everyone agrees that I am crazy, the question is...is this idea of a trade a crazy idea.

And yes, it probably makes more sense to just sell the 2004, and then buy the Daytona or Mako of my choice, but this trade option opens up some possibilities.
jv04 is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 11:06 PM
  #2  
joewill
CF Senior Member
 
joewill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Indy Indiana
Posts: 3,598
Thanks: 0
Thanked 78 Times in 74 Posts
Default

first you have to find an extremely rare car
then you have to find it in your required condition
then that seller will have to want to trade with you...
I just don't see that happening....
joewill is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 12:04 AM
  #3  
lowbuck72
CF Senior Member
 
lowbuck72's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Chino Hills CA
Posts: 1,279
Thanked 77 Times in 60 Posts
Default

No offense, but yes you are insane, or at least crazy. A low mileage C5 like yours is a keeper, You'll regret it if you let it go. You wanted opinions, that's mine.
lowbuck72 is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 06:38 AM
  #4  
jv04
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jv04's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Madison - just west of Huntsville AL
Posts: 9,810
Thanked 631 Times in 355 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by joewill View Post
first you have to find an extremely rare car
then you have to find it in your required condition
then that seller will have to want to trade with you...
I just don't see that happening....

It is definitely a long shot, but this place is the best place I know for taking long shots.
jv04 is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 06:48 AM
  #5  
jv04
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jv04's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Madison - just west of Huntsville AL
Posts: 9,810
Thanked 631 Times in 355 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lowbuck72 View Post
No offense, but yes you are insane, or at least crazy. A low mileage C5 like yours is a keeper, You'll regret it if you let it go. You wanted opinions, that's mine.
No offense taken, you gave me exactly what I asked for.

I go back and forth with this issue.

I did some checking before I posted this thread, and there are quite a few low mileage C5 cars available if I decide that I want to get another one.

But I have always been an "old car" kind of guy, aand I have always been fascinated with the Make Shark II, and the Ferrari Daytona cars.

Thanks
jv04 is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 08:12 AM
  #6  
Bikespace
CF Senior Member
 
Bikespace's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Location: Vienna VA
Posts: 1,469
Thanked 228 Times in 213 Posts
Default

That would be quite a longshot to line up that trade. if you are done with your C5, sell it. It won't be worth more tomorrow, and someone can enjoy it today. Cash is the easiest commodity to use for a trade.

If you can swing it, buy the C3 you want first. Keep in mind you will likely dump half the purchase price again into the car in the first year or two.
Bikespace is online now  
Old 03-06-2019, 08:46 AM
  #7  
jv04
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jv04's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Madison - just west of Huntsville AL
Posts: 9,810
Thanked 631 Times in 355 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bikespace View Post
That would be quite a longshot to line up that trade. if you are done with your C5, sell it. It won't be worth more tomorrow, and someone can enjoy it today. Cash is the easiest commodity to use for a trade.

If you can swing it, buy the C3 you want first. Keep in mind you will likely dump half the purchase price again into the car in the first year or two.
I agree that would be a long shot, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I figured my best bet for a long shot would be on the Forum.

I can't really buy the C3 I want because I am literally out of garage space. Something has to go to make room for the Daytona / Mako. The car I drive the least, and actually like the least, is the C5 convertible.

If the "right" Daytona / Mako showed up, I would figure out a way to make it happen.

But this goal is not a must do immediately.
jv04 is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 08:47 AM
  #8  
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
caskiguy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Sherman Oaks California
Posts: 2,169
Thanked 297 Times in 276 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jv04 View Post
OK, slightly off topic, but still revolves around C3s of some sort.

I have a beautiful, 2 owner 2004 Corvette convertible, Millennium Yellow with Oak interior, 21K original miles, never damaged, all options (auto trans).

The only non original parts are the tires (new Michelin Pilots), the battery, and a new convertible top (the rear window just came loose from the original top).

Beautiful car that rides and drives like a new car.

Now for the insanity....

I am seriously considering trading this car (either up / down depending on the trade) for either a compete, running, good solid driver condition:

1. Ferrari Daytona replica built on a C3 - year does not matter
2. Mako Shark Corvette built on a C3 - year does not matter, but I want the coupe version, not a convertible

I am not looking for, nor will I consider a Daytona or Mako that needs considerable work. I am looking for a car that is pretty much ready to go as is (nice paint, nice interior, running, driving, everything works). I would POSSIBLY consider a car that just needs paint (everything else is done) ONLY because I could have the car painted the color of my choice. The trade value would have to reflect this.

So, everyone agrees that I am crazy, the question is...is this idea of a trade a crazy idea.

And yes, it probably makes more sense to just sell the 2004, and then buy the Daytona or Mako of my choice, but this trade option opens up some possibilities.
I sold a pristine 2001 C5 Pewter Convertible. I wish I hadn't done that.
caskiguy is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 09:08 AM
  #9  
stingr69
CF Senior Member
 
stingr69's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2004
Location: Little Rock AR
Posts: 4,147
Thanked 119 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Sell the C5 now and add some cash to buy a nice Mako. The C5 will not go up in value, only down.

The Mako is much more rare as compared to a C5 and it will never loose the "Eye" factor. It will not go down in value IMO.

The Daytona conversion is a car you will never stop making excuses for. The explanations of "how fake it is" will never go away.

My 2 cents.
stingr69 is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 09:42 AM
  #10  
Bills72n84
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bills72n84's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: mi.
Posts: 1,738
Thanked 65 Times in 62 Posts
Default

well you want to find one as fast as you can ,your C5 is loosing about two to three grand every yr.
Bills72n84 is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 03:14 PM
  #11  
ignatz
CF Senior Member
 
ignatz's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: los altos hills california
Posts: 1,864
Thanked 194 Times in 162 Posts
Default

You're gonna need a sidekick!

ignatz is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 05:04 PM
  #12  
7T1vette
CF Senior Member
 
7T1vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Crossville TN
Posts: 30,366
Thanked 1,006 Times in 910 Posts
Default

You are NOT insane!! Maybe slightly demented....but not insane!
I'm curious...what value would you put on your 2004 car? Not that you are trying to SELL it here, but I need a ballpark value in case I come up with someone who is interested in a trade.
7T1vette is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 09:24 PM
  #13  
scotty t
CF Senior Member
 
scotty t's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: southern tip of lake michigan Indiana
Posts: 818
Thanked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Is the 56 Bel Air finished yet?
scotty t is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 04:01 AM
  #14  
jv04
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jv04's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Madison - just west of Huntsville AL
Posts: 9,810
Thanked 631 Times in 355 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scotty t View Post
Is the 56 Bel Air finished yet?
Not yet, it is just behind the A/C install on my 64 Corvette.
jv04 is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 07:36 AM
  #15  
C3_DH
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Posts: 51
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Dude, you aren't crazy for looking for what you want. I'm not an old dude quite yet but i've found, if you got an itch, scratch it!. You *do* seem to have a nice car now though, lol!
C3_DH is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 10:15 AM
  #16  
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Valencia Ca.
Posts: 67,869
Thanked 1,112 Times in 1,023 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05
Default

Sell the C5 now and add some cash to buy a nice Mako. The C5 will not go up in value, only down.
This!!
cuisinartvette is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 11:22 AM
  #17  
Jebbysan
CF Senior Member
 
Jebbysan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Location: New Braunfels Texas
Posts: 3,094
Thanked 354 Times in 319 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ignatz View Post
You're gonna need a sidekick!

This is Miami, PAL!

I would absolutely LOVE a Burnie Daytona replica.......the two that I have seen were nicer than the Ferrari it is based off of.
Could you imagine a Burnie Daytona with an Aluminum 555 Big Block and a Tremec 6 speed?
BTW...I have all 5 seasons on DVD It is amazing the A list actors that got their start on this show......before Noir was Noir....

Jebby
Jebbysan is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 11:25 AM
  #18  
Jebbysan
CF Senior Member
 
Jebbysan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Location: New Braunfels Texas
Posts: 3,094
Thanked 354 Times in 319 Posts
Default

Jebbysan is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 08:52 PM
  #19  
Tonio
CF Senior Member
 
Tonio's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: Bedford New York
Posts: 1,142
Thanked 203 Times in 173 Posts
Default

The all-too-obvious fender flares on replica Daytona cars to attempt to hide the too-wide track width is a dead giveaway. These cars look so wrong when compared to real Daytonas. Sorry.

But life is short; get what you want before it's too late. Good luck!

Last edited by Tonio; 03-08-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Tonio is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 06:41 AM
  #20  
jv04
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jv04's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Madison - just west of Huntsville AL
Posts: 9,810
Thanked 631 Times in 355 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 7T1vette View Post
You are NOT insane!! Maybe slightly demented....but not insane!
I'm curious...what value would you put on your 2004 car? Not that you are trying to SELL it here, but I need a ballpark value in case I come up with someone who is interested in a trade.
I am thinking something like $20K
jv04 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: