C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Magazines - Anyone still reading them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 12:42 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 464 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21-'22
Default Car Magazines - Anyone still reading them?

Just curious to see if folks here subscribe to any "Corvette" or car magazines.
I know the printed form of magazines have fallen out of favor in the past few years, but I am still a fan of flipping through a physical book.
I receive a few Harley magazines, and I'm considering adding a subscription to a good Corvette or Hot Rod rag.
What are you folks reading? Any suggestions for a good "Corvette" magazine?

Last edited by fastimes; 03-09-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 359 Posts

I use to subscribe to (keeping track)from 1985 to about five yrs ago ,I have a subscription to vette magazine,but I like the older corvettes ,and so im not to excited about this one ,I have alot of these laying around ,you are welcome to them if you pay the shipping,they range from about the last seven yrs. or so!
The following users liked this post:
dan1495 (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 02:22 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Not much left that is old Corvette related. The monthly Hagerty magazine is very good as is all the Hemmings ones.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:15 PM
Crimson Thunder
Burning Brakes

Received 445 Likes on 273 Posts

I still like to read magazines while eating breakfast. I subscribe to Hemmings Muscle Machines and Motor Trend.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:19 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Hemmings is a great tip. Haven't looked at that in a while.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:14 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

I had 40 years of vette mags, PHR, Hot Rod, etc. I started selling them off in lots the past year or so. There is only so much they can still print on C2-C3 vette repairs. A lot of it is wrong, like the issue I have where the expert goes by feel when selecting rear bearing shims. I still use a micrometer.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:25 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I still subscribe to Super Chevy and have been for about 30 years. Not too sure how much longer I'll keep it up though as they seem to like to feature all the 6 figure shop built cars and nothing the real world can afford. No Corvette coverage at all, but I do like other Chevy's though. I used to subscribe to Corvette Fever when it existed, but I think it got rolled into Vette magazine and I'm not interested in all their new Corvette coverage. I also used to subscribe to Classic Trucks magazine but I'm not sure if that's around any more or not.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:26 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,255 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by GTR1999
I had 40 years of vette mags, PHR, Hot Rod, etc. I started selling them off in lots the past year or so. There is only so much they can still print on C2-C3 vette repairs. A lot of it is wrong, like the issue I have where the expert goes by feel when selecting rear bearing shims. I still use a micrometer.
ive got stacks of old magazines. I still enjoy reading them but very few good ones left. I think there are only 2 corvette ones on the local newsstand. My question is when you sold them what price did you ask and how successful were you? I am wondering if it is worth the effort. The only current subscription I have is Goodguys Gazette that part of membership. Just wondering about resale value. Thanks
Old 03-09-2019, 04:40 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

ive got mags from the 50's-2010's,,,i still go to stores ,but im real picky now
Old 03-09-2019, 05:03 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
I still subscribe to Super Chevy and have been for about 30 years. Not too sure how much longer I'll keep it up though as they seem to like to feature all the 6 figure shop built cars and nothing the real world can afford. No Corvette coverage at all, but I do like other Chevy's though. I used to subscribe to Corvette Fever when it existed, but I think it got rolled into Vette magazine and I'm not interested in all their new Corvette coverage. I also used to subscribe to Classic Trucks magazine but I'm not sure if that's around any more or not.
I remember Corvette Fever, but I guess that folded like Hot Bike and Supercycle. Just the way things are going.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:29 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by fastimes
Just curious to see if folks here subscribe to any "Corvette" or car magazines.
I know the printed form of magazines have fallen out of favor in the past few years, but I am still a fan of flipping through a physical book.
I receive a few Harley magazines, and I'm considering adding a subscription to a good Corvette or Hot Rod rag.
What are you folks reading? Any suggestions for a good "Corvette" magazine?
There's not much to say about magazines these days when there is so much information on the web. Of course sometimes they are useful for long airline trips. I do subscribe to Corvette Magazine especially for the tech suggestions and sell/buy articles. I rarely keep them for very long though.

Here's a couple of data points for you, just to address your question.

As a youngster I bought nearly every month's edition of customer and Hot Rod magazines. Many going back to 1953. I carried those things around through at least two more residence moves, advertised them and eventually just tossed them.

Get this one though. I acquired, by way of an inheritance, the entire first 150 copies of Cavallino the Ferrari magazine. Issues #1 and issues #2 were supposed to be worth as much as $1000 or ore. I put the entire collection on Ebay and didn't;t get a single bid. My asking price was less than the first two issues alone, given the market place at the time. Still no takers. I guess there aren't many folks out there that are looking for tips on how to chop the top on a '32 Ford or need to know how to install Cadillac taillights on a '51 Mercury "Lead Sled"

There still seem to be a large assortment of magazines on the rack at Barnes & Noble though.

So, to answer the question, yes, there are occasions when I subscribe to one magazine or another. Generally though I get all I need from this forum and the internet.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:38 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Havent bought one since the late 80s, they got smaller and smaller, more ads less gearhead tech. No interest in many post 1972 cars
Saw less and less gearhead motor stuff and too much "Bolt on and go" stuff. Do miss them though.....guess the web makes it tough to make a buck.

Last edited by cv67; 03-09-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:40 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

I subscribe to Corvette Magazine. It is mostly newer vettes and sort of a vanity publication, but there are tidbits. They ditched their articles on repairs but have a pretty good section on readers with specific problems, again mostly newer.

Hot Rod is also interesting and while I can't recall seeing a vette there in quite a while, their tech articles seem well researched. Current issue has an article on why LS motors are so much better than our generation of motors. Seems pretty in depth. Last month I think was an article about how to install clutch behind (again) an LS. The custom cars are sorta like the centerfold in Playboy, something to ogle. Never a clue about just how much money was sunk into the build, way more than most of us.

Hemmings is another old car wish book. And good for suppliers of rebuilding materials. Haven't tried their other offerings.

Had kept quite a stack of Vette magazine but ultimately just tossed them into the recycling.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:21 PM
platinummaker
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
Subsctibe to Carcraft cause they still seem to understand the financial component to the car hobby for some of us and they also seem to maximize the availability of wrecking yard acquisitions.
Rod and custom for the old school vibe. Can’t forget my roots
Old 03-09-2019, 06:31 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

I occasionally pic up a car mag when Im traveling. They all seem to be the same nowadays. 1) Review of some guys supercharged, chromed out fancy paint job, (that he claim is his own work but reading the article shows all he really did was pay for everything 2) article on some proposed new engine design that will turn current engines/car manufactures on its ear...3) how to build a high horsepower engine using the newest trend in parts, and 4) a section of reader questions that always seem to be something like 'whats the best engine/tires/radiator etc for my car'.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I guess the same could be said for any kind of magazine regarding most other hobbies though.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:37 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I subscribed to Vette Vues when the publication was the size of a folded 8 1/2 x 11" piece of paper. I sent in the two year payment and they quit after one months publication.

Recently purchased 300+ Vette magazines for $50.00. Mostly 80s - 90s vintage . I like the older information articles. New stuff just isn't my taste .... yet !

I enjoy reading them with the " fix it " columns. The low values in the for sale ads are very annoying compared to todays prices.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:41 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke94
Not much left that is old Corvette related. The monthly Hagerty magazine is very good as is all the Hemmings ones.

I read both cover to cover. Hagerty is a real hidden gem for the automotive reader.

I also subscribe to American Car Collector, if market trends and auctions interest you.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Magazines - Anyone still reading them?

Old 03-09-2019, 07:50 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

The only paper magazine I really still read dedicated to Corvettes is the NCRS Restorer magazine, but reading the latest one today, it’s got a cover car/story about a restomod... I had to check that it was still NCRS. ( yes I know they judge customs now). Then inside there’s an odd article about point loss on adding Vintage Air. This has been a point of contention recently, but the article makes all these claims about point loss, and then there’s a bolded Editors Note under the title pretty much stating what’s in the article is incorrect. Huh?

If that keeps up I won’t need that one any more, either.

Too bad, like the OP I really enjoy reading magazines I can hold in my hand.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:56 PM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Crimson Thunder
I still like to read magazines while eating breakfast. I subscribe to Hemmings Muscle Machines and Motor Trend.
I also have a subscription to Hemmings Muscle Machines and I really enjoy it! I also forgot I get the Haggerty car magazine and it is enjoyable for a freebie!

I have been a member of the Oldsmobile Club of America for years but dropped out a couple years ago, their club magazine "Journey With Olds" went downhill in the past few years and was not at all interesting/usefull to me.

Last edited by OLE442; 03-11-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:39 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

I subscribe to Vette Vues.... I love it! A nice mix of new & old cars featured, with tech articles, show coverage, models & toys, and a classified section.

Quick Reply: Car Magazines - Anyone still reading them?