Sponsored by:

Just found out a bit of something cool about my '68

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 08:49 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Not to be a dick but how many years did you serve?

He wasnt a draft dodger, he was a conscientious objector. Big difference, draft dodgers ran to Canada. Muhammad Ali stayed and faced his music. He was later cleared and able to fight again. Much braver to stand up for your rights knowing he would be punished versus just running away. Or getting daddy to pull strings and get you in the national guard. Theres lots of people I would call a draft dodger long before Muhammad Ali. At least 2 of them have been presidents and many more movie stars. Then theres presidents who leave ambassaders and soldiers to die on foreign soil just so they wouldnt put boots on the ground,.... I can go on and on. Muhammed Ali has my respect, these people do not

6 years navy, more than 4 under water, all off the coast of Russia in the 80's. If DoorGunner said that, he could call him whatever he wants and I wouldnt correct him. If you severed in Viet Nam,my apologies for speaking my mind.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consci..._Ali_NYWTS.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscientious_objector
I volunteered and served 4 years with honor.

Oh really????

On June 20, 1967, heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali was sentenced to five years in prison for refusing to serve in the military.

Ali declared that he would not serve in Vietnam, proclaiming, “I ain’t got no quarrel with them Viet Cong.” He appealed for an exemption, claiming that he was a conscientious objector based on his religious beliefs.

Cassius Clay has a blind and total belief in every word of Message to the Blackman, and thus he becomes a rare individual: a genuine, if misguided, conscientious objector,” wrote Sports Illustrated’s Jack Olsen in 1966,

Ali and his managers claimed that government had tried to arrange a deal whereby Ali would enter the Army but be sent to fight, according to Time magazine. Ali declined, but the government denies the deal was ever offered.

On April 28, 1967, after three appeals were denied, Ali was forced to appear at induction ceremony in Houston. He performed all the qualifying tests, but when he was called to step forward to symbolize induction, he refused.

Afterwards, Ali read a statement explaining his actions: “I have searched my conscience and I find I cannot be true to my belief in my religion by accepting such a call. … If justice prevails, if my Constitutional rights are upheld, I will be forced to go neither to the Army nor jail. In the end I am confident that justice will come my way for the truth must eventually prevail.”

Two months later, a Houston jury took only 20 minutes to convict Ali — still called Cassius Clay in court—of draft evasion. He was given a five-year prison sentence and a $10,000 fine. He would also be stripped of his passport and his heavyweight title, and was banned from fighting in the United States.

LINK
He was a CONVICTED DRAFT DODGER. I don't give a **** what anyone thinks. It's on record. Just another muslime POS but I'll leave this conversation as this is better suited for CF PR&C.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:10 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,289 Likes on 3,918 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

wow....guess we'll just not talk to you anymore....but before i go, heres the part that you left out that tells how he was wrongly denied an appeal and aquitted by the Supreme court because they saw that the lower courts were wrong and it is lawful to refuse service based on religion..

Opinion of the Court

The Supreme Court decision was handed down on June 28, 1971. The Supreme Court held that, since the appeal board gave no reason for the denial of a conscientious objector exemption to petitioner, and it is impossible to determine on which of the three grounds offered in the Justice Department's letter that board relied, Ali's 1967 conviction must be reversed. The Eugene Register-Guard, reporting on the Court's record, cited "...the boxer's beliefs 'are surely no less religiously based' than those in previous cases."[3]
[4]
[22] The Court incorporated Welsh v. United States, in which the Court "had ruled that moral and ethical objection to war was as valid as religious objection, thus broadening the qualifications."[23]

Bob Woodward and Scott Armstrong provide an account of the development of the decision in their book The Brethren. According to that account, Justice Marshall had recused himself because he had been U.S. Solicitor General when the case began,[[url=[url=[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed]citation]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed]citation]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed]citation]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed]citation needed] and the remaining eight justices initially voted 5 to 3 to uphold Ali's conviction. However, Justice Harlan, assigned to write the majority opinion, became convinced that Ali's claim to be a conscientious objector was sincere after reading background material on Black Muslim doctrine provided by one of his law clerks. To the contrary, Justice Harlan concluded that the claim by the Justice Department had been a misrepresentation. Harlan changed his vote, tying the vote at 4 to 4. A deadlock would have resulted in Ali being jailed for draft evasion and, since no opinions are published for deadlocked decisions, he would have never known why he had lost. A compromise proposed by Justice Stewart, in which Ali's conviction would be reversed citing a technical error by the Justice Department, gradually won unanimous assent from the eight voting justices.

I joined to defend everyone and the constitution of the United States. Especially the first amendment that unfortunately protects racists and bigots, but I dont have to like what you say

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 03-12-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:01 PM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bfit
Cassius clay Stood over 6 feet tall . This Is a C3 , look again
bfit
Why, he looks in proportion to me.
I see no reason to think its a fake. but he definitely is not in fighting condition.
The following users liked this post:
cor66vette (03-24-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 11:42 PM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by nutsy
I see no reason to think its a fake. but he definitely is not in fighting condition.
Well I'm 5'11''. when in in the vette i sit with my head touching the tee top. MY son is 6'4'' he can not sit upright in any of my C3's
when he gets in to the vette he takes up a lot more room that the gentleman in this photo.
the driver in the photo looks to me to be about 6'1" , IMO, I don't think this photo is believable.
Bfit
Old 03-14-2019, 06:52 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,289 Likes on 3,918 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

he fit in his Cadillac. I think he can make himself fit where he wants to be. Theres other pics of him in cars online.

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 03-14-2019 at 06:54 AM.
cor66vette (03-24-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 07:15 AM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Ali, I believe, was 6 ft 3 inches. I am 6 ft 2 inches and fit in my C3! It is a convertible with the top down so head room is no issue. Vettes have a lot of leg room and he appears to be slouching down in the seat a bit to me. Ali is definitely in his heavier days.

I had a neighbor who was in the Channel on D-day in a supply ship and he hated Muhammad Ali for years and years. I kept telling him that he didn't run to Canada and he could have been in the Army and done exhibition matches to promote the Army but he didn't and lost the best of his prime fighting years and money making years but he did it in the courts. When he was older, he say "maybe you're right" about Ali!

Very neat photo! The 68 would be worth a little bit more to an Ali fan but us oldies are dying off as we speak!

Last edited by OLE442; 03-14-2019 at 07:16 AM.
cor66vette (03-24-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 10:42 AM
jgilevettes
Burning Brakes

Received 795 Likes on 387 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by nutsy
agreed! I am 6'3 and getting in and out may be tough but once you sit down all is good......
cor66vette (03-24-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

Very Cool
cor66vette (03-24-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 02:03 PM
ballen06
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 69 Posts

It sounds like he stood up for what he believed in...

Last edited by ballen06; 03-15-2019 at 02:11 PM. Reason: wrong
Old 03-15-2019, 04:32 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sure, fighting. Was the "Im Muslim" statement said around draft time?

Thought he was a little large to be Gary Coleman lol

Had someone call me about a car Id owned, had to be at least 10 yrs afterwards. He didnt ask me for a story, rather wanted me to help him fabricate some bs to increase the value (in his mind at least.

Do people actually pay more money due to some story?

Last edited by cv67; 03-15-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:54 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Two thumbs up
cor66vette (03-24-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 10:09 AM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

So
cor66vette (03-24-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:37 AM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

I love watching his fights... very neat!!
cor66vette (03-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Just found out a bit of something cool about my '68