Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper steering column bearing install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 12:55 AM
FnSquirrel
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper steering column bearing install?

Hey all! I bought this C3 (1974) for myself to drive after doing a slight restore. I removed all of the interior to redo the dash harness and to do general dress up. During that process I removed the steering wheel (tilt and telescoping column) and some other parts so that I could remove and replace the lock cylinder. As I was trying to reinstall the tiny clip that holds the upper shaft in place (the clip that looks like a large "U") the inner part of the upper bearing (below the loaded spring) popped up and out of the bearing (the visible side of it looks to have a c-clip on it), so now the upper shaft obviously flops around. How do I re-insert that piece that appears to be in between the bearing ***** and the shaft that the upper inner shaft fits inside of? I tried just getting it lined up and hitting it home with a properly sized pvc pipe, with no luck. Do i somehow compress that c-clip?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-16-2019, 01:30 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Obviously not a corvette , but the idea is the same , EXCEPT , you have a telescopic version so you need to put a bolt in the end of the shaft and tighten it down to lock the end shaft . An Allen headed bolt wont interfere with the tool going on the shaft , or you could just grind down a hex headed bolt
Old 03-17-2019, 12:24 AM
FnSquirrel
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Yeah I did just that (ground down an allen head bolt). A hex bolt wouldn't allow you to turn the head if you grind it of course. :-) Got it all done! Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Upper steering column bearing install?

Quick Reply: Upper steering column bearing install?