Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 12:19 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 464 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21-'22
Default Straightening out the key situation for my 72

Forgive me if this "key" subject has been beat to death here, but I haven't found the exact info I need in past threads.

When I purchased my car, the only keys I received were old hardware store copies of just the door/ignition key and the locking gas cap key. I never received any keys for the glove box/alarm/spare carrier.
These copies work, but are well worn down from years of use. I would say too worn to make a duplicate from. I purchased the correct GM blanks (C for door/ignition and D for glove box/alarm/spare carrier) to hopeully have them cut locally.
I went to 2 local locksmiths, and neither can help me to make fresh correct keys. I wrote to Jesser's a few times, to see exactly what they needed from me to have them do it, but never received a response from them (actually surprised at the number of bad reviews others have posted about them).
Given the above information, what would a locksmith need from me to create new, correct GM keys for the car?

Thanks (as always) in advance for any info.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:54 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,136 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Not sure if this helps but...
Mine were the same, worn smooth. I went to the local GM dealer parts counter and the "old" guy there (been there forever) looks at the key checks with his little guage gizmo and says 34634 (or whatever it was)
sets those numbers into the key machine (hand held) and punches a new key out
Turns out the old GM keys only had so many different size cuts spaced at a known distance and it's fairly easy to see what they were
Anyway, find a dealer that has a parts guy that actually knows what the old key machine is
M
Old 03-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Mooser
Race Director

http://www.camaros.org/keysandlocks.shtml

Just need someone with the handheld or bench machine that can be set to the key code rather than a duplicator.

HIH
M
Old 03-16-2019, 01:28 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

You can probably get the key code for the storage compartment lock cylinder or spare tire lock cylinder.
I believe it should also be the same. Look up a past thread on how to remove those cylinders. It only takes a few minutes to remove either of them. They usually have the code stamped into them and then a decent key shop should be able to cut it correctly from the code.

As for door and ignition those might be harder to remove (never had to do those yet) but it would not surprise me if they are stamped into those cylinders also.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:27 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooser
http://www.camaros.org/keysandlocks.shtml

Just need someone with the handheld or bench machine that can be set to the key code rather than a duplicator.

HIH
M
I have a hand held cutter and the GM code book, but I'd need the lock 4 digit code to cut the keys.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:04 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I was told by by one of the local locksmiths that only the passenger side door lock has a number on it and the locks on the glove box, alarm or spare carrier do not have codes. I don't know if he was knowledgeable enough about older GM cars to make such a statement, but I pulled the glove box lock (easiest to get to) and found no code number on it.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:38 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Fastimes, it could have been a replacement and that is why the code is missing. I love originality but it was easier to buy a repro matched storage and spare tire lock since when I bought my car the spare tire lock was missing. Don't forget your alarm, that is a hard one to find. My whole lock was missing and the hole glassed over. I had to take the cylinder apart and play with the smalI tumblers to get it to match the other two.

I am a little surprised that they could not cut a key, despite the fact that your keys are worn. They still engage and open the locks correct? Why not let them try to duplicate the key with one of their universal blanks ( should be cheap) and if that works then use your blanks. Just a thought Ike

Last edited by general ike; 03-16-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:05 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Do you have any means of measuring the depth of the existing "notches" on your keys?
The difference between the 5 possible depths is .025" which is slightly less than 1/32" so even with a good scale (Of course a caliper would be better) you might be able to get the proper depths (the root is not going to be as worn as the points of the teeth will be)
Then talk to someone like Duke who has the cutter and all they need (even with no code) is the depths.

All that said........... If the key is that worn, the brass pins inside the lock are probably not all that great either...... But replacing all the locks is a PIA and $$$ if they all work and you just want decent keys (as I did)
M
Old 03-16-2019, 08:17 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Fastimes,
Contact this gentleman and let him know your situation. He does much of the key work for the NCRS. He did mine for me before I had my 73 judged. Excellent work. A great guy to work with. Very reasonable. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Pete Lindahl pclindahl@comcast.net
Jimmy
The following users liked this post:
fastimes (03-17-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 08:39 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke94
I have a hand held cutter and the GM code book, but I'd need the lock 4 digit code to cut the keys.
Can you work backwards from the OPs worn keys? If so, might be an easy solution.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:00 AM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by general ike
Fastimes, it could have been a replacement and that is why the code is missing. I love originality but it was easier to buy a repro matched storage and spare tire lock since when I bought my car the spare tire lock was missing. Don't forget your alarm, that is a hard one to find. My whole lock was missing and the hole glassed over. I had to take the cylinder apart and play with the smalI tumblers to get it to match the other two.

I am a little surprised that they could not cut a key, despite the fact that your keys are worn. They still engage and open the locks correct? Why not let them try to duplicate the key with one of their universal blanks ( should be cheap) and if that works then use your blanks. Just a thought Ike
Yes, worn keys still work. I may just try your idea. Have them dupe the key anyway to see if it works.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:30 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

I can't see why it would not. The keys are worn but if they are working in the lock mechanism then a duplicate of them will as well. I have done this with old house locks. It may take a few trys to get it to work since your new keys will be sharp edged but t think ultimately it should work, I hope!! Good luck and let us know!! Ike
Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 AM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tooch1
Fastimes,
Contact this gentleman and let him know your situation. He does much of the key work for the NCRS. He did mine for me before I had my 73 judged. Excellent work. A great guy to work with. Very reasonable. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Pete Lindahl pclindahl@comcast.net
Jimmy
I shot Pete an email a few days ago. No response as of yet.
I try again in a day or so. Hopefully I will hear from him.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:41 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fastimes
I shot Pete an email a few days ago. No response as of yet.
I try again in a day or so. Hopefully I will hear from him.
I'm sending you a PM with his phone numbers to try if he doesn't get back by email.
Tooch
The following users liked this post:
fastimes (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 11:06 AM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tooch1
I'm sending you a PM with his phone numbers to try if he doesn't get back by email.
Tooch
Thanks Tooch1!
Old 05-23-2019, 11:01 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Just a follow-up and BIG thank you to Tooch1!
I contacted Pete and he has been the greatest. He helped me straighten out my keys and I now have the correct GM keys for the car.
What an amazing gentleman, who is passionate about the Corvette hobby.
Once again, one of my fellow forum members come to the rescue!
Thanks again Tooch1
Old 05-23-2019, 11:33 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fastimes
Just a follow-up and BIG thank you to Tooch1!
I contacted Pete and he has been the greatest. He helped me straighten out my keys and I now have the correct GM keys for the car.
What an amazing gentleman, who is passionate about the Corvette hobby.
Once again, one of my fellow forum members come to the rescue!
Thanks again Tooch1
Fastimes,
So glad to hear you hooked up with Pete and he took care of you like I knew he would. He's the best in my opinion.
Thanks for the update...
Jimmy

Get notified of new replies

To Straightening out the key situation for my 72

Quick Reply: Straightening out the key situation for my 72