Sponsored by:

Correct Terminology

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 06:31 AM
Skeetshooter
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by L-46man
Well ACTUALLY they're URETHANE...so if we're going to be accurate....URETHANE BUMPERED CARS would be the term I would use.

I own both, 'chrome' and 'urethane'.

URETHANE/FOAM/STEEL.

There is no 'rubber' there at all.

UnkaHal
Yes they are urethane. In fact it was/is called RIM standing for Reaction Injection Molding. Actually it was a PITA process. After molding the fascia had to be post cured, primed, baked, topcoat and baked again. If there was too much isocyanate the parts would yellow and could and did change the color of the paint, (ask me how I know). Most all OEMs now use TPO, Thermo Plastic Olefin. This plastic just requires an adhesion promoter then topcoat. Anyway...

Originally Posted by 60 SHARK
""I know I am new to the Corvette world, (over from the Porsche world), but I'd like to correct the 'rubber bumper' myth. Actually what covers the 5 mph sub-structure is called a fascia. ""
""Now if the community is using rubber bumpers as a slang then this is all moot. Kinda like saying motor for engine.-""

Most all thoughts and ideas are welcome here.
Welcome to the C3 world,,
Remember when you were new to the Porsche world, and a new-bee tried to correct you,, your hair may have stood up, you looked sideways at the coment,,it happens, , Just keep in mind, as long as you have imperfect humans involved, you will find all the flaws, prejudice, incorrect thinking, and especially options, that are contrary to yours,,
So, I guess you got it right when you stated " this is all moot".
Glad to have ya here,, where you can say what you think, and get ripped to shreds with out prejudice or hurt feelings, ,, , LOL, ,, ,
At least we can be entertaining, IMHO, teddy
Very true!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:15 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

For much of my adult life, both casually & professionally, I've associated with locals in auto body shop, auto paint & body shop supply, crash parts sales, repair businesses.

In my corner of southeastern USA the most common usage I've heard is either "bumper" or "bumper cover"

keep in mind common parlance, regional colloquialism ... engine versus motor

https://www.autosupplyhouse.com/circ...ir_page37.html

https://www.autosupplyhouse.com/lookup.asp

Quick Reply: Correct Terminology