Sponsored by:

Correct Terminology

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 02:00 PM
Skeetshooter
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Correct Terminology

I know I am new to the Corvette world, (over from the Porsche world), but I'd like to correct the 'rubber bumper' myth. Actually what covers the 5 mph sub-structure is called a fascia. It seems there is a hatred, maybe a bit too strong of a word, but certainly there seems to be a prejudice against the first facia cars. I will admit the rear of my '79 leaves a lot to be desired in the styling department but with the help of the factory optional spoiler it looks much better. To me the front is beautiful. And I'll add Chevrolet did a much better job than a lot of the other OEMs covering all the 5 mph sub-structures. Think about it... Corvettes have now had facias, (rubber bumpers), for over 45 years.
If you look at a same era Porsche they do have bumpers, albeit 5 mph bumpers. Heavy bumpers with shock absorbers behind them. AND huge, heavy, and ugly bumperettes. Also, the same 'prejudice' exists in the Porsche world. But there, the 'long hood crowd' frowns on the short hood cars, (5mph bumper cars).
To finish this semi-rant... Yes the chrome bumper cars are stunning but don't discount the infant engineering & design that was forced on the OEMs in the first safety era of car manufacturing.
Now if the community is using rubber bumpers as a slang then this is all moot. Kinda like saying motor for engine.
Thanks for listening.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:18 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 237 Likes on 127 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

I prefer the term “disco Vettes”. I can have most any vette I want but I always come back to these. These are the cars I lusted after in my youth.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:43 PM
hdal
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Skeet,great terminology! I couldn't have done better! I own a near perfect 78' SA,both bmprs are mint and flow well. Hdal
The following users liked this post:
Skeetshooter (03-17-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 08:08 PM
74_stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 217 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking
These are the cars I lusted after in my youth.
Yes, exactly!
I love all C3 Corvettes, each of the three iterations. I am partial to the rubber bumper cars and I like the 74-77 without spoilers, the 74-77 sugar scoop Corvettes are what left an indelible impression upon me. I was around C1’s and C2’s regularly as a young man and influenced by those cars as well.
I don’t knock any of the C3’s.
Eddy
Old 03-17-2019, 08:06 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Plastic, rubber, it`s just not shiny metal. I wouldn`t call it hatred, and prejudice I never understood, because there is no wrong answer. It`s all just personal preference. Just like makes, models, body styles, and color. I would never accept gray or silver car with red interior. Hideous. But some people love that combo. I don`t care for mopar products, but they have a huge following. I think your summary is spot on...."rubber bumpers" is just a slang term, like so many others that may sound derogatory to fans of a particular model.... like the "shoe-box" Chevies, or "Thunder-Chicken" Pontiac people.
I think what you`re talking about is a lack of acceptance by a certain segment of the hobby. While there is certainly some good natured ribbing amoungst hobbyists, some people of narrow mind are very passionate about their favorite, and discount everything else as junk. Myself, I like & appreciate most all vehicles at least a little bit. But the one I LOVE the most is the one that caught my eye as a young teenager.... the chrome bumper "shark" body Corvette. To me, they lost something when they were forced to design around those silly crash bumpers. I felt the same for the Mustang.... the 67 & 68 had the best looking tail panel of all of them. Before & after that... I didn`t care for them. But rather than make a big fuss, and point out how wrong it is, I simply shrug, and move on to something I`d rather see more of.
The following users liked this post:
Skeetshooter (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 01:19 PM
Skeetshooter
Advanced

I agree with all the above. Disco Vettes? I guess they are! Never thought about it but yes.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:56 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

afaik, short hood-long hood has much more to do with having a wiper door than not

so what's the difference between a porsche & a porcupine? ... a bumper or ....
Old 03-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Skeetshooter
Advanced

Originally Posted by jackson
afaik, short hood-long hood has much more to do with having a wiper door than not

so what's the difference between a porsche & a porcupine? ... A bumper or ....
???

???

Last edited by Skeetshooter; 03-17-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:46 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Good luck trying to “correct” Corvette owners on slang they have used for decades, based on what correct for Porsche folks.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:55 PM
Skeetshooter
Advanced

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369
Good luck trying to “correct” Corvette owners on slang they have used for decades, based on what correct for Porsche folks.
In no way am I trying to correct anything. Just making an observation.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:30 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Hope the rubber bumper cars are looked down on and stay cheap forever so I can pick up one cheap. Like something about all of them & can appreciate most cars from that era

Last edited by cv67; 03-17-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:30 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,137 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Hope the rubber bumper cars are looked down on and stay cheap forever so I can pick up one cheap. Like something about all of them & can appreciate most cars from that era
Shhhhh! Keep it a secret that a modified rubber bumper C3 is just as good, if not better, than chrome! With some simple mods, you can get better performance, and benefit from 10+ years of GM improvements, not just their emission and safety workarounds. And you can make improvements free of NCRS guilt!

My 79 has fiberglass fascias, and my 80 urethane. They will always be bubble-window, rubber bumper C3s.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Skeetshooter
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bikespace
They will always be bubble-window, rubber bumper C3s.
Agree 100%. I'm having a re-paint done on mine as we speak. I also went with the fiberglass fascias. And that is fine.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:12 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

I love ALL Corvettes so there's that. I'll stick with rubber bumper.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:24 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Well ACTUALLY they're URETHANE...so if we're going to be accurate....URETHANE BUMPERED CARS would be the term I would use.

I own both, 'chrome' and 'urethane'.

URETHANE/FOAM/STEEL.

There is no 'rubber' there at all.

UnkaHal
Old 03-18-2019, 12:55 PM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 496 Posts

""I know I am new to the Corvette world, (over from the Porsche world), but I'd like to correct the 'rubber bumper' myth. Actually what covers the 5 mph sub-structure is called a fascia. ""
""Now if the community is using rubber bumpers as a slang then this is all moot. Kinda like saying motor for engine.-""

Most all thoughts and ideas are welcome here.
Welcome to the C3 world,,
Remember when you were new to the Porsche world, and a new-bee tried to correct you,, your hair may have stood up, you looked sideways at the coment,,it happens, , Just keep in mind, as long as you have imperfect humans involved, you will find all the flaws, prejudice, incorrect thinking, and especially options, that are contrary to yours,,
So, I guess you got it right when you stated " this is all moot".
Glad to have ya here,, where you can say what you think, and get ripped to shreds with out prejudice or hurt feelings, ,, , LOL, ,, ,
At least we can be entertaining, IMHO, teddy
Old 03-18-2019, 08:58 PM
OBX C3
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking
I prefer the term “disco Vettes”. I can have most any vette I want but I always come back to these. These are the cars I lusted after in my youth.
My friend this is the truth.

Get notified of new replies

To Correct Terminology

Old 03-18-2019, 11:50 PM
thatcorvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

80-82 have always been one of my favorite. If I could find a real good deal on a 82 CE I'd buy it and leave my chrome bumper in the garage.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:03 AM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 237 Likes on 127 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by OBX C3
My friend this is the truth.
Yup, I enjoy my C6 but love having a C3, they get the looks.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:07 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

I dont have any particularl dislike of the plastic ended C3's but to me the front overhasng is too long compared to the earlier design and I prefer the kamm tail look rather that the the sloped design. Overall though I think that the GM stylists dis a very good job of the design change needed to accomodate the 5mph bumpers. The original posters mention of the Porsche ones got me curious so I had a look at one and I thought they look like a real tacked on afterthought but nothing compared to some of the " buffers" they fitted to various sedans of the period.

Quick Reply: Correct Terminology