Sponsored by:

72 Project + Everyone's Favorite: Birdcage

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 07:32 PM
Cardinal2948
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 Project + Everyone's Favorite: Birdcage

I've been poking around my 72 for a little and have some concerns about the birdcage. I would greatly appreciate if someone can tell me how some of these points look and what would be the best direction to go down.

The first photos are of the driver's side foot area and looking up into it.
The next is the passenger side.
TheCorvetteBen pointed this weird caulk stuff a long time ago.
There's this weird stuff in the area between the door and panel.
Lastly, the area by the windshield.

The rest of the car is fine, but these are what keep me up at night.

Thank you!

Old 03-17-2019, 09:01 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Can't really tell about the topside. Some rust is probably going to be normal for a car that old. The body mounts at the kick panels look pretty good. Almost rust free. This area commonly sees a fair amount of rust due to water leaks but yours look great.

Hopefully some other members can give more opinions on the rust higher up. It mostly looks like surface rust to me and maybe can be slowed down by spraying Ospho, the Eastwood rust encapsulator product, POR 15 or a combination of the three.
The following users liked this post:
Cardinal2948 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 10:34 PM
standardbyke22
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

the rust up higher on door hinge pillar is a little scary, you might want to pull the a-pillar window trim, a-pillar interior trim, and stainless above windscreen and take a look, my 68 and 69 both needed attention. the yellow seam sealer doesnt look factory to me, but i may be wrong, i usually see that kinda stuff when rust is being hidden. take a good look at the rocker channels, ill be taking a metal shaving shower in the next month replacing mine. pull the cover infront of the rear wheel and look at the body mount there, also inspect the lock pillar at rocker channel joint.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:20 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

For the age of the car things below look pretty good. Those areas can get pretty bad. The upper areas need further investigating. Like mentioned above there appears to be something going on. I was shocked when I pulled the T Top trim along with the A pillar. These cars must be checked over in all areas because surprises are not fun especially when you think you found a gem. That's why I joined the forum in hind sight!

Thought I found a really nice 69.

Ran good, and and a nice interior.

Up kick rails were about to come apart from the frame. They were masked with heavy undercoating. Wonder why!

Everything replaced and fixed.

Hidden under that nice shiny trim.

Hidden underneath that pretty looking interior.

Again, under the A pillar.

Fixed!

Fixed, but not a lot of fun. A lot of measuring things to make the fit correct.
pillar trim. What I had I would not wish on anyone. Good Luck!

RVZIO
Old 03-23-2019, 01:32 AM
Cardinal2948
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats insane! I wouldnt have imagined that on yours. I haven't pulled the trim yet, but as soon as I do, Ill make a reply to this.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:32 PM
itsforfun
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It seems that there should be some type "space age" of material which could be injected into these hollow cavities which would harden and make repairs easier.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:38 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Cardinal:
Based on the more than surface rust in the upper a-pillar shots I would pull all the trim around the windshield and inspect closely. You have or had water coming in. Even better pull the windshield. Below is what both of my lower windshield frame corners look like (minus windshield), it was filled with 5 types of sealer over the years, but I have two huge 5 inch slots rusted in frame corner, and the lower no. 2 body mounts didn't even look that bad, my pass one looked about like yours unfortunately, I still had a lot of paint coverage. But not original paint because it was the wrong color.
Lee

Last edited by leigh1322; 03-24-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 72 Project + Everyone's Favorite: Birdcage

Quick Reply: 72 Project + Everyone's Favorite: Birdcage